The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

It is entirely appropriate for Jamie to apply the label Jerk to any of his products.
I think this is ridiculous. British people make their own versions of a lot of foreign foods, like chicken tikka masala, which was created in Britain with Indian culinary influences. Jamie Oliver can use foreign influences in his cooking and acknowledge that in the name of the dish, that’s how new dishes are made and cultures are fused. This mp needs to stop wasting her time on this nonsense and focus on her constituents.
One wonders if Elton John will be castigated in the same way for writing the this song:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?client=opera&q=elton+john+do+the+jamaica+jerk-off+that+way&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
Original post by akbar0123
I think this is ridiculous. British people make their own versions of a lot of foreign foods, like chicken tikka masala, which was created in Britain with Indian culinary influences. Jamie Oliver can use foreign influences in his cooking and acknowledge that in the name of the dish, that’s how new dishes are made and cultures are fused. This mp needs to stop wasting her time on this nonsense and focus on her constituents.

Don't forget the balti and chop suey, neither of which originate from where people think they do.
Original post by Good bloke
Don't forget the balti and chop suey, neither of which originate from where people think they do.

And phaal.
Reply 65
What a load of tosh. There's no such thing,
Reply 66
I was in Wales a while ago and had a "full Welsh breakfast". WTF is that?, I hear you ask. Well, I'll tell you. It was a full English breakfast with a dollop of weird stuff entirely inappropriate to 9.00am on a Sunday morning after a wedding.
The point, if there is one, is is this cultural appropriation? Should we be castigating the Welsh for their racist imperialism and lack of sensitivity? Or do we just say "that's rubbish" and move on?
Original post by Wilfred Little
Load of nonsense. Absolutely nothing wrong with it whatsoever. If you don't like it don't buy it.

didnt you say you're black the other day?

:hmmmm:... lol It seems like you've put this together using every term from the social justice warrior word bank. "Subject to racism." "Receive racism." What? All in all it makes no sense, it just sounds so cliche, like an automated message that you repeat for claps. Ugh.
But Jamie is a jerk :biggrin:

Maybe the lady was just saying, there are no millionaire west indians though they pioneered jerk chicken and that. I get it. But Jamie isnt a millionaire for making "jerk rice." He's a millionaire for making jerk jokes on daytime telly while stirring noodles lol So allow it Dawn yeah? :yawn:
Original post by Napp
What a load of tosh. There's no such thing,

All right Napp? You knw I just think its cute that cultural appropriation only comes up when big time celebs are involved. Is it just me? Because they are worried that celebrities will get worship and fame and fortune for being "trendy" as they call it, while members of that culture get "nothing." But what is it that they want? For people to not celebrate other cultures? Isnt that "progress" if they did? Do they want people of the culture to also get fame and fortune? So random Indians should get paid to wear the sari and the bead thing on their foreheads and to celebrate that paint throwing holiday lol? Do they want Japanese people to get paid to wear kimonos and to eat noodles? Should West Indians get paid to eat jerk chicken since a famous chef will get money for making it? I dont get it, what do they want? Do they simply want a shout out for inventing jerk seasoning?? All this fuss over a shout out????
My spiciest meal ever.
I try recreating it every Christmas eve as spicy beef phaal with the patak sauce, a huge amount of extra hot rajah chilli powder and added chilli seeds.

Original post by Wilfred Little
And phaal.
Saying that's rubbish suits me fine.
Usually I just sigh and don't buy.

But Jamie Oliver is the proverbial bad penny personified, he just keeps turning up everywhere despite my best efforts at avoidance.
Television, radio, magazines, lobbying around the US/London trying to force his healthy eating agenda down strangers throat's (literally).

The source of much migraine and food poisoning.
That jerk rice was disgusting, finding out it was his brand after I'd finished eating made the stomach ache feel so much worse.
He didn't deserve any free publicity or the daft controversy that will generate millions of impulsive curiosity sales.

Original post by QE2
I was in Wales a while ago and had a "full Welsh breakfast". WTF is that?, I hear you ask. Well, I'll tell you. It was a full English breakfast with a dollop of weird stuff entirely inappropriate to 9.00am on a Sunday morning after a wedding.
The point, if there is one, is is this cultural appropriation? Should we be castigating the Welsh for their racist imperialism and lack of sensitivity? Or do we just say "that's rubbish" and move on?
Reply 72
it simply doesnt sit well after the disrespect Jamaicans endured with the windrush deportations, for a white British man to be banking on their culture.
Original post by Truths
it simply doesnt sit well after the disrespect Jamaicans endured with the windrush deportations, for a white British man to be banking on their culture.

The issue with these arguments is that many inventions that are attributed to the modern world is from english/scottish culture, should we therefore ban people from other countries from using anything from ours because technically they are appropriating our culture? To be honest the only time I hear culture appropriation is when it is from people who have not contributed much to the world.
Reply 74
Original post by pirilaro
The issue with these arguments is that many inventions that are attributed to the modern world is from english/scottish culture, should we therefore ban people from other countries from using anything from ours because technically they are appropriating our culture? To be honest the only time I hear culture appropriation is when it is from people who have not contributed much to the world.

yeh no. I think you issue more so stems from the lack of understanding of the argument, evident by your comparison with English/scottish culture. Cultural appropriation concerns power dynamics. Wikipedia summarises it quite well:
Cultural appropriation is the adoption of elements of a minority culture by members of the dominant culture.[2][3][4] It is distinguished from an equal cultural exchange due to an imbalance of power, often as a byproduct of colonialism and oppression.

Doesnt quite apply to English people, I'm afraid.
Original post by Truths
yeh no. I think you issue more so stems from the lack of understanding of the argument, evident by your comparison with English/scottish culture. Cultural appropriation concerns power dynamics. Wikipedia summarises it quite well:
Cultural appropriation is the adoption of elements of a minority culture by members of the dominant culture.[2][3][4] It is distinguished from an equal cultural exchange due to an imbalance of power, often as a byproduct of colonialism and oppression.

Except we are not oppressing anyone, in the past we have but in the modern world? We are the ones who allow other cultures to co-exist with ours, you can't say that for other countries like Japan, Russia, Saudi Arabia etc. so by being a multicultural country as we are now that does mean we share our cultures together, if you want to use cultural appropriation argument then you are basically saying you are not in support of a multicultural country.
Reply 76
Original post by pirilaro
Except we are not oppressing anyone, in the past we have but in the modern world?

and I quote myself

"it simply doesnt sit well after the disrespect Jamaicans endured with the windrush deportations, for a white British man to be banking on their culture."

Not to mention the economic growth Britain enjoyed from the exploitation of sugar plantations, with no reparations. Not to mention Caribbeans rebuilding Britain from the rubbles after WWII and were forced into ghettos and faced all sorts of systemic violence, with no reparations. And now in 2018 we are deporting these same black British citizens? There is no end to the disrespect, and oppression. So yes, the jaime Oliver joke rice isn't going to be well received, he's making money off a culture, while the people of that culture are being disrespected on that same land. the power dynamics are way off. its cultural appropriation.
Original post by Truths
and I quote myself

"it simply doesnt sit well after the disrespect Jamaicans endured with the windrush deportations, for a white British man to be banking on their culture."

Not to mention the economic growth Britain enjoyed from the exploitation of sugar plantations, with no reparations. Not to mention Caribbeans rebuilding Britain from the rubbles after WWII and were forced into ghettos and faced all sorts of systemic violence, with no reparations. And now in 2018 we are deporting these same black British citizens? There is no end to the disrespect, and oppression. So yes, the jaime Oliver joke rice isn't going to be well received, he's making money off a culture, while the people of that culture are being disrespected on that same land. the power dynamics are way off. its cultural appropriation.

Since when was Jamie Oliver responsible for what happened to the windrush deportations? Just because he is a white british guy he is suddenly responsible there and therefore must stick to british culture only now? Tell me what are you and others who share this view going to achieve if this culture appropriation actually takes off? As far as I can see if it succeeds it will only end up creating segregation again, telling people to stay in their "lanes" etc. is this what you want?
What a jerk.
Original post by Truths

That is a nonsense argument. One man has no power or dominance over people in Jamaica or over people of Jamaican origin in Britain.

Latest

Trending

Trending