The Student Room Group

Dutch universities

Hi, I’m an A2 student currently in the U.K. doing Economics, Business and Spanish a-levels and am thinking about possibly going to the Netherlands for university. I’m mostly thinking about economics and finance courses or maybe geography or PPE. What are the most respected Dutch universities around Europe and which are the best for getting into good postgraduate courses (probably back in the U.K.)? At the moment thinking about Utrecht, Amsterdam, Tilburg and Maastricht, thanks
Original post by KJH1
Hi, I’m an A2 student currently in the U.K. doing Economics, Business and Spanish a-levels and am thinking about possibly going to the Netherlands for university. I’m mostly thinking about economics and finance courses or maybe geography or PPE. What are the most respected Dutch universities around Europe and which are the best for getting into good postgraduate courses (probably back in the U.K.)? At the moment thinking about Utrecht, Amsterdam, Tilburg and Maastricht, thanks

Moved to Studying in the Netherlands :smile:
Reply 2
UVA for PPLE is very well respected. I have just got back from visiting the UVA campus. It was amazing!

The first year tuition fees for all dutch universities have been cut in half too by the Dutch government.
Reply 3
Original post by Breward
UVA for PPLE is very well respected. I have just got back from visiting the UVA campus. It was amazing!

The first year tuition fees for all dutch universities have been cut in half too by the Dutch government.

That’s good to know thanks. Do you know if living costs in Amsterdam are particularly expensive?
Reply 5
You can get cheaper housing on:

https://www.room.nl/en/
Reply 6
Thanks, it is very expensive. I have been looking at maybe the PPE course at Utrecht as it is a smaller city with slightly cheaper living costs, do you know how they compare?
Reply 7
I have visited Utrecht, Amsterdam and The Hague to look at universities.

Utrecht is certainly cheaper and The Hague is on a par with my local UK town. Both are 35 mins from Schipol Airport.

Utrecht is a very pretty city. The university campus is outside the main city but a cycle ride from everything.

The University College in Utrecht does a great Liberal Arts degree that enables you to take courses in geography, economics, law and languages.

90% of student in the Netherlands go on to do a Masters, whereas 90% in the UK go straight into work after a Bachelors. There are no maintenance loans in the Netherlands either. So your degree is cheaper but you have to have the funds to live upfront.
Reply 8
Original post by Breward
I have visited Utrecht, Amsterdam and The Hague to look at universities.

Utrecht is certainly cheaper and The Hague is on a par with my local UK town. Both are 35 mins from Schipol Airport.

Utrecht is a very pretty city. The university campus is outside the main city but a cycle ride from everything.

The University College in Utrecht does a great Liberal Arts degree that enables you to take courses in geography, economics, law and languages.

90% of student in the Netherlands go on to do a Masters, whereas 90% in the UK go straight into work after a Bachelors. There are no maintenance loans in the Netherlands either. So your degree is cheaper but you have to have the funds to live upfront.

Thanks, I have never been to any of those cities but I like the country (I’m near Venlo at the moment) and I’m sure they’ll be nice. I might go and look around Nijmegen (the city, not the university). I’ve been Eindhoven and Maastricht in the past and they’re both good cities, probably prefer Maastricht. Are you thinking about a masters in the Netherlands as well or returning to the U.K. for that?
Reply 9
Probably the Netherlands, due to the cost.
Reply 10
I suppose it’s worth considering, if I did a UK masters I would definitely avoid London but I might go to a cheaper area like Warwick or study from home, which Dutch uni is your favourite at the moment from what you’ve seen?
Reply 11
Leiden University in The Hague. I want to study Political Science IRO (International Relations and Organisations)
Been there... they HATE you trying to learn Dutch, almost as if our language, not yours. Spreek youw taal!
Reply 13
Do you think it’s worth trying to learn Dutch at all, going to uni there, just socially and in shops etc.- if the course is still in English?
Reply 14
That is half the reason I am going. I want to immerse my self in another culture and pick up a new language. I intend to go to classes. It is great the degree is in English though!
Reply 15
Original post by Breward
That is half the reason I am going. I want to immerse my self in another culture and pick up a new language. I intend to go to classes. It is great the degree is in English though!

Same, I hope to learn it just to help but I think I might need a gap year to learn it to work whilst learning in the evenings or something, otherwise I might be too basic when I arrive
Original post by KJH1
Do you think it’s worth trying to learn Dutch at all, going to uni there, just socially and in shops etc.- if the course is still in English?

Dutch people are generally pretty great at understanding English. Especially in Amsterdam with its international reputation, Dutch people are used to English speaking staff in cafés and such.
my uncle's lived and worked there for about 20 years and can barely speak more than a few words of dutch:s-smilie: so i think you'd be able to get by easily without it, but i reckon they'd appreciate it if you learned some basic stuff :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending