The Student Room Group

Anyone else doing a veterinary medicine gap year?

Just looking to share ideas and plans with other people who are reapplying or have deferred?
Hiya, I'm now a vet student (entering third year) and I took two gap years before uni. I know you're asking for peeps currently doing one but just thought I'd share what I did in case it helps :smile:
My first gap year was 'planned' as I didn't feel confident applying during A-levels, and the second wasn't planned as I wasn't successful in my first application. I focused my second gap year on self development and building my confidence, which was lacking and was basically the reason I didn't get in first time.

I spent half of my first gap year working full time as a PCA in veterinary practices. After I found out I wasn't successful in my first application I decided to build my skills; I took up a part-time job in customer service, volunteered at a city farm, learned to drive, tried new hobbies e.g. rock climbing and did some farm vet work experience.
I travelled to Japan each year to visit family there but apart from that I didn't travel - I wanted to save the money! I'd like to travel abroad for clinical EMS towards the end of the course though (when I think I'll actually be more helpful).

Try to see it as a wonderful opportunity to focus on yourself and developing your skills; I almost want another gap year!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending