The Student Room Group
What are your current grades- why can't you study in the UK?
No don’t go to Armenia. If it was somewhere in the EU like Hungary, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Slovakia I’d say go for it but it’s a risk going to such a country. Maybe stay and do chemistry, then transfer onto medicine if it’s possible?
Reply 3
Original post by Raadhiyah
Is it good to go study medicine in Armenia at University of traditional medicine, is the country safe and will the degree be accepted in the UK. Also, would it be better for me to do medicine in Ireland but I would have to take a gap year. Or just give up hope and go to uni in England for chemistry. I really need help and need to decide by Wednesday any help is appreciated.

That university is accepted by USA and Canada, not sure about the NHS. Assuming you mean "Yerevan University of Traditional Medicine"
Reply 4
Never heard of anyone going to Armenia to do Medicine - in fact I didn't even know there was a medical school there. I hear more people go to Romania, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Poland and Hungary - those are the most popular countries which have more well-established medical schools that have been teaching in English for a long time. They are probably most popular with British students too - I suggest you consider that if you're thinking of studying abroad.
Reply 5
Original post by Matheos Crs
No don’t go to Armenia. If it was somewhere in the EU like Hungary, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Slovakia I’d say go for it but it’s a risk going to such a country. Maybe stay and do chemistry, then transfer onto medicine if it’s possible?

I haven’t been able to find a way, unless I do postgraduate medicine. Which my family don’t want me to do. If you have any ideas it’d be great to hear them. Also just wondering why you recommend not going there, that’d be really helpful.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by alws
That university is accepted by USA and Canada, not sure about the NHS. Assuming you mean "Yerevan University of Traditional Medicine"

I rang the GMC today and it’s currently accepted however they don’t know the effect which Brexit May have.
Reply 7
Original post by alws

I rang the GMC today and it’s currently accepted however they don’t know the effect which Brexit may have.
Reply 8
Original post by asif007
Never heard of anyone going to Armenia to do Medicine - in fact I didn't even know there was a medical school there. I hear more people go to Romania, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Poland and Hungary - those are the most popular countries which have more well-established medical schools that have been teaching in English for a long time. They are probably most popular with British students too - I suggest you consider that if you're thinking of studying abroad.

I was thinking that too because I’ve not heard of anyone studying in Armenia which is why I’m a little scared. But I was considering Armenia because they have the cheapest tuition fees. Georgia is also an option, would that be better?
Reply 9
Original post by AzureCeleste
What are your current grades- why can't you study in the UK?

I got a BCC but I had some extenuating circumstances, however I don’t think they’re accepted by the UK if I was to Resit and apply to medicine. Do you know of any unis in England who accept resits?
I was thinking that too because I’ve not heard of anyone studying in Armenia which is why I’m a little scared. But I was considering Armenia because they have the cheapest tuition fees. Georgia is also an option, would that be better?

No idea about Georgia either. As far as I know, all the Eastern European countries have broadly similar tuition fees. You might save a little bit by going to Armenia, but it doesn't seem worth it if the teaching isn't as good and you might meet few (if any) other British students when you get there. The only countries I would recommend you to go to are the ones I mentioned in my first post.
I got a BCC but I had some extenuating circumstances, however I don’t think they’re accepted by the UK if I was to Resit and apply to medicine. Do you know of any unis in England who accept resits?

Don't know about resits for medicine but foundation courses may be an option(I think they tend to want BBB though but they may allow resits)

Just don’t go to Armenia to study. Barely anyone speaks English, no student life whatsoever albeit I’m sure the locals would enjoy that life a little more and not sure if it’s recognised anywhere else apart from Armenia. You have to remember Armenia has an active war-zone with neighbours Azerbaijan. Even though I’m sure it’s super cheap, consider somewhere like Hungary where you’ll enjoy living in a more civilised place. Georgia is even worse, with a looming Russian threat and probably war will break out like it did in 2008. Do your research first, foundation degrees here in the UK would benefit you a lot more. Good luck!
Reply 13
Original post by Matheos Crs
Just don’t go to Armenia to study. Barely anyone speaks English, no student life whatsoever albeit I’m sure the locals would enjoy that life a little more and not sure if it’s recognised anywhere else apart from Armenia. You have to remember Armenia has an active war-zone with neighbours Azerbaijan. Even though I’m sure it’s super cheap, consider somewhere like Hungary where you’ll enjoy living in a more civilised place. Georgia is even worse, with a looming Russian threat and probably war will break out like it did in 2008. Do your research first, foundation degrees here in the UK would benefit you a lot more. Good luck!

Thank you so much, I really wasn't aware of the active war zone as I wasn't able to get much information on the internet.