The Student Room Group

Withdrawn from University Course & have missed appeal dead line

Hi,

I’m in quite a terrible situation at the moment & had just wanted to find out if anyone has gone through anything similar.

I basically found out I was withdrawn from my marketing course at university. I was re-doing my 2nd year & had managed to get the credits I had needed in able for me to make it into my final year. This being said with the Withdrawl message that I had received from my head of department she had mention 4 FNFAs (fail no further attempt) which is one more that the university’s policy which resulted in me being taken off the course.

I was taken by surprise with this information as I believed that my position on the course was secure as I had the credits needed to progress. To make things worse I had only seen the message about the decision made from the board of examiners 3 weeks late as the message was sent to me through my student records inbox - this resulted in me missing my 10 day window to appeal their decision. I’m very devesated by all of this as I feel like my case has a chance to win if I had the opportunity to appeal. I feel like this could have all been avoided is the ‘withdrawal message’ was sent to me official through proper email or letter as I could have responded promptly.

I have contacted my head of department & she had basically told me there’s nothing much I can do.. I then emailed the dean of the business school but have not received heard a response yet. I’m truly sadden by all of this as I only had 1 year left, I have the credits needed despite the one FNFA over policy.

Is there any advice anybody could give me please? I’m quite desperate & I would like to stay on my course and finish.
(edited 5 years ago)
I think you need to look at switching to finish your degree elsewhere. The Open University is the most flexible about accepting credits from other universities.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
I think you need to look at switching to finish your degree elsewhere. The Open University is the most flexible about accepting credits from other universities.

Thank you for reply I really appreciate it, so you don’t think there’s anything I can do to continue on at my current university?
Original post by unigirl0302
Thank you for reply I really appreciate it, so you don’t think there’s anything I can do to continue on at my current university?

Its an easy mistake to make, remember some modules are considered core and need to be passed. Despite reaching your required progression total, those core modules cant simply be replaced. Likely you have missed the appeal window and will need to do the open university. A new course wpuld cost immense amounts of money, your out of SFE basically already? Finally, go in person and plead your case with the business school dean.
I would like to stay on my course and finish.

Get a copy of your uni's appeals procedure and see if you have any grounds to appeal. If the policy is '3 FNFAs and you're out' I suspect you're out of luck.
Reply 5
Original post by Realitysreflexx
Its an easy mistake to make, remember some modules are considered core and need to be passed. Despite reaching your required progression total, those core modules cant simply be replaced. Likely you have missed the appeal window and will need to do the open university. A new course wpuld cost immense amounts of money, your out of SFE basically already? Finally, go in person and plead your case with the business school dean.

Yeaah I understand that but I had passed all of my core modules & obtained all the credits I needed the only issue is that I received on FNFA more than policy. I’ve managed to open a case for an appeal so i’m Just waiting for the decision to be made.
Reply 6
Original post by Duncan2012
Get a copy of your uni's appeals procedure and see if you have any grounds to appeal. If the policy is '3 FNFAs and you're out' I suspect you're out of luck.

Yeah I managed to get an appeal, i’m Just waiting for the decision from the board of examiners 😓
Yeah I managed to get an appeal, i’m Just waiting for the decision from the board of examiners 😓

Have been looking for your thread, but you seem to have dealt with matters yourself. Once a thread vanishes then they are difficult to track down.
The Op only gave a partial picture and you really needed to sit down and go over the events so an adviser had a full picture of what went on and what the issues are.

Hope you appealed the correct things and you are successful. Good luck.
Yeaah I understand that but I had passed all of my core modules & obtained all the credits I needed the only issue is that I received on FNFA more than policy. I’ve managed to open a case for an appeal so i’m Just waiting for the decision to be made.

Best of luck, i study management so i would dread for this to happen to me, thats why ive so far made sure i havent failed a single module (finished only yr 1 though) already nervous about yr 2 lol.
Reply 9
Original post by 999tigger
Have been looking for your thread, but you seem to have dealt with matters yourself. Once a thread vanishes then they are difficult to track down.
The Op only gave a partial picture and you really needed to sit down and go over the events so an adviser had a full picture of what went on and what the issues are.

Hope you appealed the correct things and you are successful. Good luck.

Yeah I emailed everyone I possibly could have & have try to explain my situation it’s just a shame most of the faculty are on annual leave but thankfully they saw my emails was able to let me appeal. Thank you for the encouragement - hopefully everything can work out.
Original post by Realitysreflexx
Best of luck, i study management so i would dread for this to happen to me, thats why ive so far made sure i havent failed a single module (finished only yr 1 though) already nervous about yr 2 lol.

Yeaah it’s been a difficult 3 years, thank you & good luck with your studies I hope you never have to go through what I am.
Yeah I emailed everyone I possibly could have & have try to explain my situation it’s just a shame most of the faculty are on annual leave but thankfully they saw my emails was able to let me appeal. Thank you for the encouragement - hopefully everything can work out.

I hope the mistake is theirs and you havent misunderstood the rules. Its a shame its 2nd year. Is there a reason why your marks are poor? Any medical or family reasons?

Quick Reply

Latest