The Student Room Group

ALevel sociology

Hey guys so I’m doing Alevel Law but wanted to drop it to do Alevel sociology in one year (I’m in second year college) I was wondering, is it a subject a can do in a year? Like would I be able to grasp it in a year?
Reply 1
Yeah definitely. There is a huge amount of theory to learn in sociology but it's not that hard to grasp and you only really have to learn the important concepts.
Reply 2
@Gus_4 hey thank you so much for getting back to me. I have an appointment with my college head of hall tomorrow and I need to basically convince her in the meeting that I will be able to grasp and keep up with sociology if she let me swap from law but I don’t even know what to say other than I think I’ll be able to get the hang of it in time before the exam
Reply 3
Tell her you're looking forward to studying sociology. What aspects of it interest you?
Reply 4
@Gus_4 I don’t know it’s just that it is widely recognised and most looked at by universities and I think with it I would have access to a lot of universities
Reply 5
Don't do it because universities like it, only do it if you really like it. Its a hell of a lot of work to do it in one year, particularly hard if you dont enjoy it.
Reply 6
@Gus_4 you’re right, I’ve never studied it before but from speaking to my friends who do take sociology as one of their Alevel subjects I’ve received nothing but good insights and everyone’s told me it’s easy to get good grades because the questions are self explanatory like your answer already there for you. I honestly just want to make the best decision for me and I’m scared because I don’t know what other options to pick
Reply 7
I self taught myself alevel sociology along side alevel Law, all in 4 months and still came out with a B! Its easily achievable!
Reply 8
It is a fascinating subject and I would imagine its easier than Law but you will have to work hard to catch up.

I recommend these textbooks as the information is much more condensed and has A03 points in the margins. Before you get them though check with your teacher and ask what the topics for paper 2 will be.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Succeed-Level-Sociology-Book-Including/dp/0954007999/ref=mp_s_a_1_17/258-9018114-4149304?ie=UTF8&qid=1534810460&sr=1-17&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=sociology+textbooks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending