The Student Room Group

Do I have to take in my brother's wife?

So, the situation goes like this. My half brother got married last year to this woman he met through a foreign marriage agency. Granted, he and I were never really close, but we are the only family we’ve got. Long story short, the woman moved here in the US and doesn’t have any family or friends here.

My half brother died a month ago from stroke, so she’s left alone in a foreign country. He wasn’t well off by any means, so he didn’t really leave much for her. She can hardly speak decent English too, so I imagine it’s hard for her to get a job. My question is, am I legally required to take her in?
You aren't legally required, but it is the commendable thing to try to help her, although you state that you and your half brother weren't very close. Is she planning to stay in the US?
Reply 2
Well she is probably best off moving back to her home country as she doesn't have any reason to be in the country anymore. However, if she decides to stay don't let her move in but keep in regular contact to make sure she is doing fine and help her out by sending her English classes and finding her a basic job.
(edited 5 years ago)
Sorry to hear about your brother. You’re under no obligation but it would be the right thing to do imo to help her for a few weeks maybe.

Without your brother, is she legally allowed to be in the US anyway? Might need to think about that
not legally no, but it'd be nice to imo.
No. Why?

Also, how old is he? A stroke can easily be faked, though you did say he wasn't well off. But still a good way for her to get citizenship.
You're not required but it might be kind to help her out until she is able to leave the country or has a plan to support herself.
Reply 7
Original post by cheesecakelove
You aren't legally required, but it is the commendable thing to try to help her, although you state that you and your half brother weren't very close. Is she planning to stay in the US?

She's considering moving back but she's also thinking that she already left behind her life from her home country. I think she's thinking about staying too.

Original post by AMG_
Well she is probably best off moving back to her home country as she doesn't have any reason to be in the country anymore. However, if she decides to stay don't let her move in but keep in regular contact to make sure she is doing fine and help her out by sending her English classes and finding her a basic job.

I don't mind checking up on her. I'm currently doing that honestly. She's a widower with no family here aside from me I guess. So that's the least I could do

Original post by MattyJMP
Sorry to hear about your brother. You’re under no obligation but it would be the right thing to do imo to help her for a few weeks maybe.

Without your brother, is she legally allowed to be in the US anyway? Might need to think about that

I don't know if she is. She said she'll be consulting with her embassy or was it an attorney if she could stay.

Original post by yudothis
No. Why?

Also, how old is he? A stroke can easily be faked, though you did say he wasn't well off. But still a good way for her to get citizenship.

Are trying to say my brother faked his stroke? He faked his death? I was on the hospital. I was by his bedside. Please don't insult my family like that. I didn't even think about my sis-in-law marrying my brother for citizenship.

Original post by doodle_333
You're not required but it might be kind to help her out until she is able to leave the country or has a plan to support herself.

Im thinking of assisting her and supporting her until she can support herself here
Original post by yudothis
I am saying she induced the stroke to get rid of him. Only married for a passport. Does happen, you know.

Christ, this isn’t a knock off episode of CSI
Original post by dinomite
Christ, this isn’t a knock off episode of CSI

People get up to creative ways to get ****.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending