The Student Room Group

Should I take a gap year (going into y13)

I am going into y13. After doing a huge amount of research about university, my preferred degree (Law), expenses and everything, a gap year sounds appealing.

But I want to make sure I don’t waste it, and gain as much work experience and money as possible. Does anyone have tips for planning a gap year and gaining legal work experience before university?

Also how does applying for Uni work when considering a gap year?
Original post by nurudelrey
I am going into y13. After doing a huge amount of research about university, my preferred degree (Law), expenses and everything, a gap year sounds appealing.

But I want to make sure I don’t waste it, and gain as much work experience and money as possible. Does anyone have tips for planning a gap year and gaining legal work experience before university?

Also how does applying for Uni work when considering a gap year?

You go to uni to study academics so work experience is less important. It is ok, but I think experience where you can have an impact in your local community is more impressive.Do something different to make you stand out. Gap years to get experience and earn money are very sensible as the saved money will pay for books or having a more comfortable life at uni. If you are going to do one then I expect just deciding how much of it you want to use for experience., relaxation earning money and any travel would be useful. You should start applying before the gap year so you have things in place to do as applications can take months.

You can try applying on a deferred basis, but unis tend not to favour that. You need to heck the entry criteria.
You can just apply as normal in the year before you intend to start i.e from 1 Sept this year you can be applying for 2019. the difference is you will have your results so offers wont be conditional and you just accept or not.
Thank you!
Applying to what? Jobs or experience placements? it’s so difficult to find work experience etc.

I know I can defer my entry on results day which gives me a little bit more time to plan and think, but I don’t want my offer to be taken away because of a deferred entry.

Do you know if you can apply to the same uni/courses a second time around?
Thank you!
Applying to what? Jobs or experience placements? it’s so difficult to find work experience etc.

I know I can defer my entry on results day which gives me a little bit more time to plan and think, but I don’t want my offer to be taken away because of a deferred entry.

Do you know if you can apply to the same uni/courses a second time around?

Ask family friends or your parents? I know someone who's 18/19 who worked full time at a Lawyers firm for a while to help out, she got into it through her mum. You might know someone and haven't thought of trying to get in contact with them!
Original post by btecbiochemistry
Ask family friends or your parents? I know someone who's 18/19 who worked full time at a Lawyers firm for a while to help out, she got into it through her mum. You might know someone and haven't thought of trying to get in contact with them!

Sadly none of my friends/family have such connections but thank you!

Did she work as a trainee to become a lawyer?

No, she wasn't! She's been out for a few years doing acting, but I think she'll be applying for law in October. I'd say just email and call to places near you, good luck!
No, she wasn't! She's been out for a few years doing acting, but I think she'll be applying for law in October. I'd say just email and call to places near you, good luck!

So after A Levels she pursued acting and is now going uni? That sounds cool
So after A Levels she pursued acting and is now going uni? That sounds cool

Yeah, she's been involved in national youth theatre and worked a few odd jobs because she didn't know what to do. She's still a bit unsure but she's definitely applying for uni this year!

There are people out there who take a break and do other things after school, in my church there was a girl who's 20 who's been busy volunteering with things like aupair, camp america etc. She seemed really happy & chill about it :h:
Yeah, she's been involved in national youth theatre and worked a few odd jobs because she didn't know what to do. She's still a bit unsure but she's definitely applying for uni this year!

There are people out there who take a break and do other things after school, in my church there was a girl who's 20 who's been busy volunteering with things like aupair, camp america etc. She seemed really happy & chill about it :h:

Thank you! Do you know if they are well of financially with all of that? I just don’t want to be broke

Hi again,

So I don't have any connections at all for Law and if i did, I wouldn't want to get work experience on my parents connections. I applied for like three different placements at city firms - got into all of them but was preoccupied with summer schools. If you PM me, I can give you more detailed advice.

Regarding the gap year - many companies offer a gap year placement. For example, Accenture have a scheme where you work with them for 8 months and earn £12.5K, if you impress them, they'll sponsor you for the 3 years at university providing £3000 plus soft skills training, mentor support and a possibility of a placement on their summer vacation scheme, which in turn leads to a graduate position. You could spend the rest of time volunteering at home or abroad - email local law firms with your CV and tell them you're free - I used this and because I was persistent I heard back from all the firms and get some work experience.

Deloitte have a 30 week placement where you get paid £20,000 and a £1,500 bursary for travel and £500 a year during uni. and the opportunity for placements.

IBM have a scheme where you work for them for a year, get £15,000 and a laptop and a £1000 performance related bonus.
Original post by saleeemmm
Hi again,

So I don't have any connections at all for Law and if i did, I wouldn't want to get work experience on my parents connections. I applied for like three different placements at city firms - got into all of them but was preoccupied with summer schools. If you PM me, I can give you more detailed advice.

Regarding the gap year - many companies offer a gap year placement. For example, Accenture have a scheme where you work with them for 8 months and earn £12.5K, if you impress them, they'll sponsor you for the 3 years at university providing £3000 plus soft skills training, mentor support and a possibility of a placement on their summer vacation scheme, which in turn leads to a graduate position. You could spend the rest of time volunteering at home or abroad - email local law firms with your CV and tell them you're free - I used this and because I was persistent I heard back from all the firms and get some work experience.

Deloitte have a 30 week placement where you get paid £20,000 and a £1,500 bursary for travel and £500 a year during uni. and the opportunity for placements.

IBM have a scheme where you work for them for a year, get £15,000 and a laptop and a £1000 performance related bonus.

Oh my thank you!
How can I find these gap year placements? As in after results day? Or in year 13?
Applying to them, is it competitive? The Accenture one sounds amazing!

How do I build my CV? I’ve done no legal work experience etc and am looking for the gap year to do so.
Oh my thank you!
How can I find these gap year placements? As in after results day? Or in year 13?
Applying to them, is it competitive? The Accenture one sounds amazing!

How do I build my CV? I’ve done no legal work experience etc and am looking for the gap year to do so.

1. Google the names of the company I gave you and then gap year scheme

2. Depends on the placement

3. You apply towards the start of Year 13

4. Email firms for work experience locally and London firms (if you're local ish)

1. Google the names of the company I gave you and then gap year scheme

2. Depends on the placement

3. You apply towards the start of Year 13

4. Email firms for work experience locally and London firms (if you're local ish)

Y13 is starting pretty soon, so should I start looking at the companies and firms now? I have exams in October, so if they ask for grades would I give those in? Or do they not ask for grades?
Y13 is starting pretty soon, so should I start looking at the companies and firms now? I have exams in October, so if they ask for grades would I give those in? Or do they not ask for grades?

Well I'm not clued up on when applications open - but I'd imagine that applications open around November and October. Your teachers predicted grades you send off to UCAS are probably the grades you send off to the gap year placements. I think accenture asks for AAB minimum. They could be competitive because it's an amazing opportunity and the salary is very good, but it might not be competitive because they aren't widely known.
Well I'm not clued up on when applications open - but I'd imagine that applications open around November and October. Your teachers predicted grades you send off to UCAS are probably the grades you send off to the gap year placements. I think accenture asks for AAB minimum. They could be competitive because it's an amazing opportunity and the salary is very good, but it might not be competitive because they aren't widely known.

Thank you! I’ll just focus on getting those good grades before ucas deadline etc
Thank you! Do you know if they are well of financially with all of that? I just don’t want to be broke

She lived with her mum and didn't pay rent just her own expenses. She was working a lot and at her peak earned 900 a month, apparently it all went to cosplaying though :tongue:
She lived with her mum and didn't pay rent just her own expenses. She was working a lot and at her peak earned 900 a month, apparently it all went to cosplaying though :tongue:

Aha thanks x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending