The Student Room Group

Teachers, Trainees and NQT chat thread!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SarcAndSpark
For your letter of application, or supporting statement, what I was told during uni was it's basically about showing the school who you are as a teacher, and how you'd fit into their ethos.

The structure I used was roughly along these lines.

Section 1: Who I am, and a bit of guff about how I share the school's values/ethos (be specific about these so that they can see you've read the website).

Section 2: A bit about my recent experience as a teacher. This should be a couple of paragraphs. Try to tick off points on the personal specification for the job here.

Section 3: A bit about my previous experience working with young people, again a couple of paragraph. Tick off more points on the personal specification here.

Section 4: A bit about what I think I could offer to the school- try to hit points on the personal spec or the school improvement plan here. This needs to be as personal to the school as possible.

Section 5: A brief summary, tying back to the school's ethos etc.

Schools seem to really like it when these are very personal to the school, but you can write a basic template and just change the key bits.

Brilliant, thank you! There’s one I think I will apply to so will work on my application this weekend. I’m sure more jobs will appear in the next few weeks too. It’s difficult to know what schools are actually like without seeing them in action especially as ofsted reports are often old and the websites don’t show too much.
Original post by Claudette
The two year nqt was due to be rolled out next year I believe and trialled in some areas this year. I think given the circumstances, this year would be the ideal opportunity to start it.
Edited to add https://www.naht.org.uk/news-and-opinion/news/pay-and-conditions-news/news-about-the-early-rollout-of-the-early-career-framework/

Thanks for the link! Finger crossed they do, though as we don’t know what September will look like it might not be feasible.
Original post by Olives&chocolate
Brilliant, thank you! There’s one I think I will apply to so will work on my application this weekend. I’m sure more jobs will appear in the next few weeks too. It’s difficult to know what schools are actually like without seeing them in action especially as ofsted reports are often old and the websites don’t show too much.

Good luck, I'm glad you found the structure useful. We were told to aim for a length of 1-2 sides of A4. Good luck with the application!

This half-term is the deadline for giving notice, so normally lots of jobs would come out in the next few weeks. I know of a few teachers who have actually just given notice because they are unhappy with their head's plans for returning to work. However, a lot of heads/teachers right now are very busy with plans for reopening schools and so advertising these jobs may not be their number 1 priority.

If schools open as usual in September, I expect to see a wave of job applications come out then, which you wouldn't usually see.

ETA: Of course, some jobs will still come out as normal, but don't worry if you don't see as many as you're expecting.
Reply 363
Just to start us all off:

I'm SarcAndSpark and I'm going to be studying a Biology PGCE at the University of Bristol.

I'm starting off in September with two weeks at a primary school- and I have to write my first assignment about my time there! I currently live in Plymouth and I'll be doing my primary school placement close to home before moving to Bristol in the middle of September. I'm pretty keen to get started, but also feeling a bit nervous!

Hi, I’m considering a PGCE in Biology at Bristol this September. How would you rate it?
Hey everyone!

I've graduated with primary qts last September, however due to Ill health I haven't been able to look for permanent positions so far to begin my nqt year. I have been a supply teacher for a couple of times since then, however I'm scared that i am not going to find an nqt job as there is too much of a gap. I would like to begin my nqt year part time due to still not being 100% with my health, although with everything going on at the moment, I don't think I am going to be employable enough. Has anyone got any advise? It would be much appreciated! 😊
Original post by Nat55
Hi, I’m considering a PGCE in Biology at Bristol this September. How would you rate it?

I'll drop you a PM about this!
Original post by Sadie24
Hey everyone!

I've graduated with primary qts last September, however due to Ill health I haven't been able to look for permanent positions so far to begin my nqt year. I have been a supply teacher for a couple of times since then, however I'm scared that i am not going to find an nqt job as there is too much of a gap. I would like to begin my nqt year part time due to still not being 100% with my health, although with everything going on at the moment, I don't think I am going to be employable enough. Has anyone got any advise? It would be much appreciated! 😊

Are there any schools where you did supply who are advertising vacancies? If so, they may be more likely to consider you part time as you are a known quantity. How part time would you want to be? If it's something like 0.8, it's sometimes possible to apply to full time roles and then negotiate down when you get the job offer.

If you are in the vulnerable category, this might be a concern for schools, though?
I'll drop you a PM about this!

Are there any schools where you did supply who are advertising vacancies? If so, they may be more likely to consider you part time as you are a known quantity. How part time would you want to be? If it's something like 0.8, it's sometimes possible to apply to full time roles and then negotiate down when you get the job offer.

If you are in the vulnerable category, this might be a concern for schools, though?

I worked mainly in secondary schools at the time due to there not being many primary day to day supply (agency stated),, so haven't been able to do that yet. didn't know that, it depends, I would like to do 3/4 days. I ama awaiting an appointment with a neurologist due to having the same problem for a year. I'm unsure if I would be placed in a vulnerable category. However my concern is myself not being employable enough because of not getting a nqt job off the bat.
Original post by Sadie24
I worked mainly in secondary schools at the time due to there not being many primary day to day supply (agency stated),, so haven't been able to do that yet. didn't know that, it depends, I would like to do 3/4 days. I ama awaiting an appointment with a neurologist due to having the same problem for a year. I'm unsure if I would be placed in a vulnerable category. However my concern is myself not being employable enough because of not getting a nqt job off the bat.

Honestly, I don't think this is much of an issue, especially if you explain why you didn't get an NQT job straight away.

They'll probably like you as they can pay you MS1 but actually get a more experienced teacher. Spin it into a positive.
Honestly, I don't think this is much of an issue, especially if you explain why you didn't get an NQT job straight away.

They'll probably like you as they can pay you MS1 but actually get a more experienced teacher. Spin it into a positive.

Okay, thank you! Applying for NQT roles for September now to practice for interviews. Do you know when jobs will begin to become more advertised for NQT'S?
Original post by Sadie24
Okay, thank you! Applying for NQT roles for September now to practice for interviews. Do you know when jobs will begin to become more advertised for NQT'S?

It's really hard to say this year, because lots of schools are holding back on advertising due to coronavirus, and the usual round of resignations in the last half term will be reduced.

No-one in a post will be able to apply for September jobs from now, as the last date for notice will have passed. I'd expect to see more jobs that usual coming out whenever schools fully reopen.
Well I finally got an NQT job for September. All my stresses have left. I was really coming to the fact I wouldn’t but it just takes the right job to appear.

I actually went into school for a socially distant interview which was honestly such a strange experience. It makes sense though, head teachers really want to meet potential employees face to face. I also taught a socially distant lesson which was really interesting and difficult considering it was PE. Again, they could see how Candidates interacted with pupils, even if there were only 4 kids haha. It really helped me as well as I got to see the school.

To those still needing a job, don’t give up hope there is still the job perfect for you out there. Whether they appear in the next few weeks or September. These are not normal times
Original post by dingbat93
Well I finally got an NQT job for September. All my stresses have left. I was really coming to the fact I wouldn’t but it just takes the right job to appear.

I actually went into school for a socially distant interview which was honestly such a strange experience. It makes sense though, head teachers really want to meet potential employees face to face. I also taught a socially distant lesson which was really interesting and difficult considering it was PE. Again, they could see how Candidates interacted with pupils, even if there were only 4 kids haha. It really helped me as well as I got to see the school.

To those still needing a job, don’t give up hope there is still the job perfect for you out there. Whether they appear in the next few weeks or September. These are not normal times

Congratulations!

Good luck for September!
Original post by dingbat93

Well done! I bet it feels amazing! I've applied to a school within walking distance in case anything happens. Problem is I haven't taught in months , dependent if I get an interview, so would not feel very confident with the observation part. What did you do to prepare yourself/ tips for the interview/observation?
Congratulations!

Good luck for September!

Thank you! Honestly can’t wait.
Original post by Sadie24
Well done! I bet it feels amazing! I've applied to a school within walking distance in case anything happens. Problem is I haven't taught in months , dependent if I get an interview, so would not feel very confident with the observation part. What did you do to prepare yourself/ tips for the interview/observation?

Thanks! I do feel amazing.

The school I had my interview at were so so friendly and did everything to make me feel at ease. I did just plan a lesson like normal if I’m totally honest and cracked straight into teaching the lesson (as that was first). Just make sure you’ve got all the basics in there, share learning outcomes, plan for differentiation, and include mini plenaries and plenaries at the end. These are things the interviewers said I did really well with even with a class of 4 pupils.

I mentioned in the formal interview after (although it really did just feel like a chat and not an interview) that I was quite nervous before teaching as I hadn’t taught in a while. They actually asked why they thought this was as they were interested, and then the conversation changed how they also feel nervous to teach again properly.

So what I’m trying to say is just try to plan as you would before. For NQT jobs in particular they will definitely understand some nerves if you haven’t taught in a while. But honestly as soon as a I started teaching my lesson I automatically just went back into teacher mode.

Good luck with your application/s!
(edited 3 years ago)
@dingbat93

Well done again, sounds like a lovely supportive school.

You're right to say that you just need to get the one job, so it's ok to get some rejections before hand. Good luck to everyone who is still looking!
Hey guys,

Me again... I sent a couple of applications for nqt positions but I'm unsure if my application form is okay or not. I prepared my application form for the 24th of May, online it stated that if you didn't hear back by the 26th then you have not got an interview. I emailed the school asking for the reason why I have not got an interview/improvements to help in the future (27th). The receptionist responded by stating 'they have only just shortlisted so please bear with them. They will get back to you. Please be aware there were extremely high numbers of applications.'. However it's been nearly 2 weeks since then and havent heard anything back. I applied for another school (deadline 5th june) and stated interviews will commence week starting 8th june. I'm really nervous that I'm not going to get a job and my degree maybe for nothing. How long should we wait once we have submitted an application for an nqt position?

Thank you in advance for any advise
@dingbat93

Congrats on the job! :biggrin: Nice that you were able to see the school too.

@Sadie24

There is still lots of time so don’t worry! With waiting for responses, I think it depends on each school. I’ve seen some that say if you don’t hear by a certain date then you haven’t got an interview. Some schools friends have applied to have let them know they haven’t got an interview and others have heard nothing back.

Best of luck with your applications. I am still waiting to see if there are any advertised that are more local if not I’ll apply for others further away.
Original post by Sadie24
Hey guys,

Me again... I sent a couple of applications for nqt positions but I'm unsure if my application form is okay or not. I prepared my application form for the 24th of May, online it stated that if you didn't hear back by the 26th then you have not got an interview. I emailed the school asking for the reason why I have not got an interview/improvements to help in the future (27th). The receptionist responded by stating 'they have only just shortlisted so please bear with them. They will get back to you. Please be aware there were extremely high numbers of applications.'. However it's been nearly 2 weeks since then and havent heard anything back. I applied for another school (deadline 5th june) and stated interviews will commence week starting 8th june. I'm really nervous that I'm not going to get a job and my degree maybe for nothing. How long should we wait once we have submitted an application for an nqt position?

Thank you in advance for any advise

Hey, can you just remind me what type of jobs you're applying for?

Unfortunately, a lot of schools won't give feedback unless you're interviewed. I'd suggest asking your uni tutors to go through your application with you, if you haven't already!

Hiring process are also being delayed right now, so do bear that in mind.

Please don't worry too much about finding a job- there is still time, and if you don't find one I do think there will be more jobs than usual available in September.
Hey, can you just remind me what type of jobs you're applying for?

Unfortunately, a lot of schools won't give feedback unless you're interviewed. I'd suggest asking your uni tutors to go through your application with you, if you haven't already!

Hiring process are also being delayed right now, so do bear that in mind.

Please don't worry too much about finding a job- there is still time, and if you don't find one I do think there will be more jobs than usual available in September.

Update: Called the first application/school, 49 applications were sent to the 1st school so they are not providing any feedback (not successful).

I've been applying to community, academy and religious schools. I'd apply for anything at the moment full-time or part-time. I'm scared that i'm not going to get a role and maybe it's a sign i shouldn't be a teacher (sorry for the negativity).

I understand that, but i am being told that opportunities for full-time or maternity leave jobs will be closing soon, so i may have to contemplate whether i'll be completing my NQT year this year. Supply agencies have stated they may be long or term supply in September, so maybe i can complete one term of my NQT somewhere. It's been very de-motivating and mentally draining because i feel like i am not good enough to teach due to not being able to be healthy or acquire a job last September.
Original post by Olives&chocolate
@dingbat93

Congrats on the job! :biggrin: Nice that you were able to see the school too.

@Sadie24

There is still lots of time so don’t worry! With waiting for responses, I think it depends on each school. I’ve seen some that say if you don’t hear by a certain date then you haven’t got an interview. Some schools friends have applied to have let them know they haven’t got an interview and others have heard nothing back.

Best of luck with your applications. I am still waiting to see if there are any advertised that are more local if not I’ll apply for others further away.

Thank you! I wish you the best of luck as well. Found out the 1st school i applied for had 49 applications, so haven't been able to provide feedback for me to improve. Sounds like a good plan :smile:

When you are looking for jobs for NQT's, can we still apply for jobs which don't state if they are applicable for NQTS? or as long as the personal specification states 'qualified teacher'?

Quick Reply