The Student Room Group

Teachers, Trainees and NQT chat thread!

Scroll to see replies

Hello all, :hello:

Although there's a few of us still sorting out a place on training courses, many of us are now looking at starting a teaching course in the coming weeks and so I wanted to make everyone aware of this Chat thread for teachers and trainees to chat and get support. :heart:

If you want to have a rant, or have a question (no matter how silly) feel free to make use of this thread as a chance to find other people with similar experiences. :smile:

There's also the School Reopening Support Thread for any big worries about covid-19 and the classroom. :redface:

Quoting in all posters from the PGCE, PGDE and Teach First applicants' threads for 2020. :woo:

Spoiler

(Also a general note to say that this quote list is a one-use only. I'm not going to be spamming anyone with notifications.) :tongue:
I have a question. What happens to us if the schools get shut down again for extended periods of time? Will we just lose this year, or will that be accounted for?
Original post by ThatOldGuy
I have a question. What happens to us if the schools get shut down again for extended periods of time? Will we just lose this year, or will that be accounted for?

Last year, PGCE students and NQTs were just passed on the basis of placements they had completed. If schools shut early in the year, you might have to do a longer placement in the summer term?

I don't really think the school system could cope without NQTs coming through, so I very much doubt the year will be a write off!
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Last year, PGCE students and NQTs were just passed on the basis of placements they had completed. If schools shut early in the year, you might have to do a longer placement in the summer term?

I don't really think the school system could cope without NQTs coming through, so I very much doubt the year will be a write off!

What if you struggle in your first placement? Not necessarily where you're at risk of failing or anything like that but if you're certainly not ready to teach? I take it in that case, you would just have to go back in September (or whenever the lockdown is done) and either continue at your previous school or do another placement? I'm not sure I'll be able to afford not being paid until December next year!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by stephanieg1992
What if you struggle in your first placement? Not necessarily where you're at risk of failing or anything like that but if you're certainly not ready to teach? I take it in that case, you would just have to go back in September (or whenever the lockdown is done) and either continue at your previous school or do another placement? I'm not sure I'll be able to afford not being paid until December next year!

Not necessarily. At my uni, they gave extra support to those who hadn't quite met the standards (due to placement schools closing or personal situations) as there was no longer the statutory 120 day requirement in school. I don't know any student that is going back in September (there might be) but the vast majority were passed in the summer.
Original post by Muserock
Not necessarily. At my uni, they gave extra support to those who hadn't quite met the standards (due to placement schools closing or personal situations) as there was no longer the statutory 120 day requirement in school. I don't know any student that is going back in September (there might be) but the vast majority were passed in the summer.

Oh, that's really reassuring, thank you! I can't imagine myself being a complete natural in the classroom and will probably need a bit more time to 'get there' than other people, so I was a bit worried about this.

I think almost-complete school shutdown like March is very unlikely as schools are being highly prioritised by the government but it'd be daft to rule any possibility out at this point!

Thank you for your reply! :smile:
Oh, that's really reassuring, thank you! I can't imagine myself being a complete natural in the classroom and will probably need a bit more time to 'get there' than other people, so I was a bit worried about this.

I think almost-complete school shutdown like March is very unlikely as schools are being highly prioritised by the government but it'd be daft to rule any possibility out at this point!

Thank you for your reply! :smile:

Don’t worry. Try not to compare yourself with others (they’ll tell you this on the course) but everyone’s journey is different. You’ll all come from different starting points. Your experience on placement will be different but just focus on your journey.

What route are you doing? (PGCE, school direct, SCITT)?
Don’t worry. Try not to compare yourself with others (they’ll tell you this on the course) but everyone’s journey is different. You’ll all come from different starting points. Your experience on placement will be different but just focus on your journey.

What route are you doing? (PGCE, school direct, SCITT)?

Thank you! I will try but I'm very much one for comparing myself to others unfortunately!!

I'm doing a Primary PGCE! :smile:

Last year most people had basically had 2 full placements by the time lockdown hit- although I know this isn't the case at all unis. I think if you had only completed one, then it would be tricky.

I don't think schools would be shut for so long that you'd only do one placement, it's more likely that placements will be disrupted and you may miss additional time on placement due to needing to get tested or needing to self isolate. This is likely to vary from person to person and school to school.

My expectation would be that if you miss a lot of time in school over the winter, you'll have to do extra in the summer term. It's only usually if you interrupt that you would need to do an additional placement in the autumn.

Honestly, I would put this under the heading of things you can't control. What you can control is how hard you work and how you take feedback in your placements, so that you get a positive report assessment from placement one! So I would focus on this, more than things you can't control!
Last year most people had basically had 2 full placements by the time lockdown hit- although I know this isn't the case at all unis. I think if you had only completed one, then it would be tricky.

I don't think schools would be shut for so long that you'd only do one placement, it's more likely that placements will be disrupted and you may miss additional time on placement due to needing to get tested or needing to self isolate. This is likely to vary from person to person and school to school.

My expectation would be that if you miss a lot of time in school over the winter, you'll have to do extra in the summer term. It's only usually if you interrupt that you would need to do an additional placement in the autumn.

Honestly, I would put this under the heading of things you can't control. What you can control is how hard you work and how you take feedback in your placements, so that you get a positive report assessment from placement one! So I would focus on this, more than things you can't control!

Thank you for your response! This is excellent advice. It's good to know I'd likely have to go back in the summer term if anything happened in winter; I've financially planned to be without much income until September next year. I don't mind doing 'extra' time; it was just the prospect of going back in September that made me a bit concerned.

I'm honestly so nervous about starting right now that I'm overthinking things! I think once I've learned from my uni during Welcome Week how things are going to work, I'm going to feel much calmer. I just know very little at the moment.
Thank you for your response! This is excellent advice. It's good to know I'd likely have to go back in the summer term if anything happened in winter; I've financially planned to be without much income until September next year. I don't mind doing 'extra' time; it was just the prospect of going back in September that made me a bit concerned.

I'm honestly so nervous about starting right now that I'm overthinking things! I think once I've learned from my uni during Welcome Week how things are going to work, I'm going to feel much calmer. I just know very little at the moment.

The thing is, nobody knows what is going to happen. It is obviously a good idea to anticipate some disruption in school, but it will vary a lot by area and probably by individual school.

People at the same uni are likely to have different experiences and it's possible you could get really unlucky. I mean, worse case scenario is probably a bad case of covid and lots of time off, which would probably lead to interrupting and having to go back in September. But you can't control that completely- you can be careful with social distancing and mask wearing (especially from other adults), be diligent with hand washing, limit your social activities and so on. But you may just be unlucky.

There is so much this year no-one can control, and the PGCE is stressful enough, so I would focus mainly on positive things you CAN do!
The thing is, nobody knows what is going to happen. It is obviously a good idea to anticipate some disruption in school, but it will vary a lot by area and probably by individual school.

People at the same uni are likely to have different experiences and it's possible you could get really unlucky. I mean, worse case scenario is probably a bad case of covid and lots of time off, which would probably lead to interrupting and having to go back in September. But you can't control that completely- you can be careful with social distancing and mask wearing (especially from other adults), be diligent with hand washing, limit your social activities and so on. But you may just be unlucky.

There is so much this year no-one can control, and the PGCE is stressful enough, so I would focus mainly on positive things you CAN do!

Thank you. Yes, being realistic about possible disruptions while focusing on the things within my control is definitely going to be the best approach!!

It's so nice to have a rational thought-out response to my panicking!
Thank you. Yes, being realistic about possible disruptions while focusing on the things within my control is definitely going to be the best approach!!

No worries!

I think it is normal to worry about things when everything is so uncertain, but if it's possible to avoid panicking about things that may never happen, then I think that's better!

The PGCE is honestly stressful enough.

If you go into school and feel actively unsafe, that's different, though.
I doubt much will come out over the bank holiday weekend, sorry!

But when schools go back, you may start to see things like maternity cover adverts etc come out. Obviously there won't be loads of these, but worth keeping an eye out for!

I do think it's possible we'll see more resignations than normal for Christmas, but I may be wrong!

I managed to take a day of obsessively checking for the bank holiday :wink:.
I’ve seen a few maternity covers and jobs for Jan come out, not appropriate for me but still that’s a positive!

I’m wondering if there will be resignations too. I was talking to a teacher I know and two teachers who were going to leave their school this summer didn’t but may before next summer. We shall see!! Hope the new term is going well for you :smile:.

On my programme they looked at each of us individually and if we were on trajectory to meet the standards by summer we were put forward for our final (virtual) assessment. Those who were not on trajectory to met the standards are going back now to their placement. Everyone I know passed so I imagine there was only a few and the extra time would be a good thing to make sure they were ready.

Good Luck to all the new students! I’m found my training stressful at times and I struggled with confidence but that got better with time and practice and I’m glad I did it :smile:.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 436

If schools close again, hopefully all will be in a better position to provide remote teaching. So you may well find yourself making videos, resources, having video lessons and talking to children throughout the day. There should be more than enough opportunities to show you are meeting the standards.
I was doing live remote teaching all summer term and it was tough, I am really hoping it wont come to that again.
Original post by Olives&chocolate
I managed to take a day of obsessively checking for the bank holiday :wink:.
I’ve seen a few maternity covers and jobs for Jan come out, not appropriate for me but still that’s a positive!

I’m wondering if there will be resignations too. I was talking to a teacher I know and two teachers who were going to leave their school this summer didn’t but may before next summer. We shall see!! Hope the new term is going well for you :smile:.

I do think it's possible that more teachers than normal will leave post this term, but remember even if they give notice on Monday, they have to work until Christmas!

If it’s any consolation, NQTs are also stressing out about this school year (I know I am) as well as many experienced teachers, I’m sure. We just have to take each day/ week as it comes. If you’re in uni to begin with, try to focus on that. They’ll be a lot of theories and approaches to get your head around. It can feel a bit overwhelming. But, I promise you, things start clicking into place as the year progresses.

Try to get assignments done before you go into school, if you can. We had our first assignment due in just after February half term and I had written mine by Christmas, it meant that I didn’t have to worry about it during my placement and could concentrate on lesson planning whilst others in my group had lesson planning and an assignment to write.

If your uni has support for essay writing, use that if you need it. Basically make sure you use the support around you. Talk to tutors, the other students in your group etc. It’s a stressful year (but it is enjoyable too) so make sure you have lots of support and use it on the harder days.

Try to get assignments done before you go into school, if you can. We had our first assignment due in just after February half term and I had written mine by Christmas, it meant that I didn’t have to worry about it during my placement and could concentrate on lesson planning whilst others in my group had lesson planning and an assignment to write.

I wish I could have done this when I did my PGCE, but all my assignments required data collected in school! So we didn't have much choice!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending