The Student Room Group

Maintenance Loan for foundation degree at a FE College

Hi
I am about to turn down a BA degree with an agreed loan
I am planning to do a level 4 foundation course at an FE College then go on to do a BA
I will need a maintenance loan as I will be living away from home.
Will I be eligible ? Will having a loan for this one year course mean I will not get a maintenance loan for my BA course afterwards ?
Original post by chantella4
Hi
I am about to turn down a BA degree with an agreed loan
I am planning to do a level 4 foundation course at an FE College then go on to do a BA
I will need a maintenance loan as I will be living away from home.
Will I be eligible ? Will having a loan for this one year course mean I will not get a maintenance loan for my BA course afterwards ?

You need to check with the course provider whether the course is classed as HE (in which case you would get a maintenance loan) or FE (in which case you wouldn't but might be able to get a small bursary from the college). The level of the course doesn't determine the funding.

A foundation DEGREE is a 2 year full time HE course equivalent to the first 2 years of a normal degree.
A degree with foundation YEAR is a full time 4+ year HE course equivalent to a degree but with an additional, integrated year at the start.
An art and design foundation DIPLOMA is a 1 year full time FE course equivalent to A levels (even the level 4 version just has one more module at level 4 than the level 3 version).

The lack of maintenance support for FE courses is why most people take Foundation Diplomas at a local FE college (or university).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending