Lose £400 to move in with other 1st years, or lose £0 and live with 2nd/3rd years? Watch

username2628955
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
In a sticky situation. I booked a room near my Uni (very heat of the moment decision, now regretting) and it's shared with a bunch of 2nd/3rd year students. Gave the agent a call this morning and he said that to cancel it would mean losing my £400 deposit.

If I cancel, I get to look for flat share with other first year students - which I would be MUCH more comfortable with, as I do not like the idea of being isolated as a result of having to spend my first year with students in upper years.

Should I just continue with my booking, or cancel it and lose £400, and possibly find a place to live with other first year students?
LL2018
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
£400 is nothing in the greater scheme of things. You should live with the first year students.
Kev lad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Anygy)
In a sticky situation. I booked a room near my Uni (very heat of the moment decision, now regretting) and it's shared with a bunch of 2nd/3rd year students. Gave the agent a call this morning and he said that to cancel it would mean losing my £400 deposit.

If I cancel, I get to look for flat share with other first year students - which I would be MUCH more comfortable with, as I do not like the idea of being isolated as a result of having to spend my first year with students in upper years.

Should I just continue with my booking, or cancel it and lose £400, and possibly find a place to live with other first year students?
Ide rather chill with the 2nd/3rd year students ...
~They know everything
~They can help more
And also £400 for a student is quite a lot do ya really want to lose that? Your choice at end of day ...
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
HGS345
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
What's wrong with second/third year students? I have many post-grad friends, some who are 4-5 years older than me and I would have no problem living with them.
Noodlzzz
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
As a masters student living with 2nd and 3rd years, they partied just as much as freshers but worked harder and were a bit more mature (and better at cooking ). I would stick with what you have
Kaiylar
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
If you're really not comfortable/happy with it, then I would change despite the loss of money. I'm sorry I can't advise better, I hope this at least helps you a bit.
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
The 2nd/3rd years will sho yu da wae.
username2628955
Rep:
?
(Original post by HGS345)
What's wrong with second/third year students? I have many post-grad friends, some who are 4-5 years older than me and I would have no problem living with them.
I doubt that I would have an issue with them personally, it's just that I'd always envisioned moving in with people as dumb and clueless as I. I wouldn't even know who to go out with during freshers.....
SomMC1
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Anygy)

sacrifice the $400 bruh
username2628955
Rep:
?
Y'ALL GIVING ME SUCH MIXED OPINIONS im dead/
username2628955
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doonesbury)
The 2nd/3rd years will sho yu da wae.
r u sure tho
HGS345
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Anygy)
I doubt that I would have an issue with them personally, it's just that I'd always envisioned moving in with people as dumb and clueless as I. I wouldn't even know who to go out with during freshers.....
Well they could advise you on uni, e.g. where to go for certain things. I mean, if you're ever on a boat and it starts to sink, the last thing you want is to be with just dumb and clueless people lol. But anyway, I don't think it'll be bad. One of my flatmates from first year was a 3rd year psychology student from America and we got along pretty well.

For freshers, I guess it could be tricky. Isn't there a FB group for your subject course? I know mine has one.
shameful_burrito
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I'd go for the 2nd/3rd year students because I don't wanna spend an extra 400 quid. I currently live with older students anyways and don't really care. But you do what feels best for you I suppose
username2628955
Rep:
?
(Original post by HGS345)
Well they could advise you on uni, e.g. where to go for certain things. I mean, if you're ever on a boat and it starts to sink, the last thing you want is to be with just dumb and clueless people lol. But anyway, I don't think it'll be bad. One of my flatmates from first year was a 3rd year psychology student from America and we got along pretty well.

For freshers, I guess it could be tricky. Isn't there a FB group for your subject course? I know mine has one.
As far as I know, there doesn't seem to be a group or anything :\ I'm just worried that I'll find it difficult to make friends, since these 2nd and 3rd years will likely have formed their own group anyway .... And I mean, I would like to make close friends who I could move in with in 2nd and 3rd year
username2628955
Rep:
?
(Original post by shameful_burrito)
I'd go for the 2nd/3rd year students because I don't wanna spend an extra 400 quid. I currently live with older students anyways and don't really care. But you do what feels best for you I suppose
are you a first year?
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Anygy)
r u sure tho
sure
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Literally noone cares about age once you get to uni, it's not like school.
I shared a house with one first year, 3 second years a third year and a master's student and age made no difference at all. If anything 2/3rd years will be less irritating than 1st years as they aren't as exciteabl and actually study now and then
shameful_burrito
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Anygy)
are you a first year?
I was last year, now starting second year in 2 weeks or so. Still living with older students though. Some moved out though so might have younger students too as flatmates now(1st years). It’s not that big a deal imo. Doesn’t make much of a difference what year your flatmates are in
La Mallorquina
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Your question is basically asking how much do you personally quantify your insecurity in monetary terms
username2628955
Rep:
?
(Original post by shameful_burrito)
I was last year, now starting second year in 2 weeks or so. Still living with older students though. Some moved out though so might have younger students too as flatmates now(1st years). It’s not that big a deal imo. Doesn’t make much of a difference what year your flatmates are in
yeah, I suppose so.... I guess that i just FEEL like the stakes are higher for me, because apparently most people make friends with their flatmates and move in with them again second year. I'll find it harder to make friends on my course/in societies, so I'm worried it might impede on my social life??
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Keele University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Aug '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Clearing open day Undergraduate
    Tue, 20 Aug '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (65)
17.76%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (230)
62.84%
Not yet but I am planning to (19)
5.19%
Not yet but I might (52)
14.21%

Watched Threads