The Student Room Group

Medicine application 2019- Will medical schools want me?

Hi guys, I have rejected my offer for psychology after doing better than I expected in my Alevels and I am now taking a gap year to apply for medicine. Just wondering will there be a problem with me applying as I have not previously? I have the grades and they were achieved in two years but will unis dislike the fact that I did not apply first time around? Also will glasgow ( where my original offer was from) take me even after I have rejected their offer for psychology?The only reason I didn’t apply first time was due to not doing as well in AS as I expected. Thanks!
Absolutely no problem at all.
The physchology department is a separate entity from the medical school at Glasgow so you want have a problem applying there for medicine. Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by ellieeeethompson
Hi guys, I have rejected my offer for psychology after doing better than I expected in my Alevels and I am now taking a gap year to apply for medicine. Just wondering will there be a problem with me applying as I have not previously? I have the grades and they were achieved in two years but will unis dislike the fact that I did not apply first time around? Also will glasgow ( where my original offer was from) take me even after I have rejected their offer for psychology?The only reason I didn’t apply first time was due to not doing as well in AS as I expected. Thanks!
Is your personal statement relevant to medicine and have you done things like UKCAT ?
Original post by Mil99
Is your personal statement relevant to medicine and have you done things like UKCAT ?

My personal statement is relevant and I will be undertaking the UKCAT next month so fingers crossed!
Reply 4
My personal statement is relevant and I will be undertaking the UKCAT next month so fingers crossed!
Well good luck then for your application ! Will you be applying to any 'BMAT' universities ?

It goes without saying don't hesitate to ask any further questions should you have any.

Moved to Medicine :smile:
Hi guys,
I got A*AAAAABBBBB at GCSE and I'm predicted 4A* at A-levels, My ukcat is 812.5 band 1. I don't know where to apply for medicine, I was thinking QUML, KCL, Newcastle and imperial if i get a good bmat. What should I do?
I got B's in french, English lang and lit, design technology and economics
Reply 8
Original post by Maybemedschool
Hi guys,
I got A*AAAAABBBBB at GCSE and I'm predicted 4A* at A-levels, My ukcat is 812.5 band 1. I don't know where to apply for medicine, I was thinking QUML, KCL, Newcastle and imperial if i get a good bmat. What should I do?

QUML, Newcastle are fine. All the ukcat ones are nailed on eg: Sheffield, Manchester, Southampton, Plymouth, Bristol, St Georges. So is Exeter with your predicted A levels. Also probably others but would have to look at their scoring systems. KCL may be ok, but difficult to be precise
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 9

Have you got relevant work experience, as this could disadvantage you quite significantly if you don't choose your unis wisely, i.e. unis like UCL look at you holistically so would probably want some relevant work experience, apart from good grades, which practically everyone will have.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending