going into year 11 Watch

rachellouise21
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Hi, I'm going into year 11 this year and I need help on how to and when to start revising for the gcse's. I have my mocks in Nov and I want to start quite early as I think I'm a bit behind compared to everyone else. I am aiming for all 7-9s. My strongest subjects are maths and english, which is quite good because I think they are subjects most people struggle with. I am also taking chemistry, physics, biology, spanish, comp sci, geography and history. Any tips on revising these? Thanks
laurawatt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hi :hello: I’m going into Year 11 too! :five:
Make sure you do some revision for your mocks, but don’t burn yourself out :yes:
https://senecalearning.com is good for consolidation of work done in class (for a range of subjects and exam boards), YouTube channels like freesciencelessons/primrose kitten/science with hazel/doodle science etc. for science (and primrose kitten also for maths depending on your exam board), Mr Bruff for english
https://corbettmaths.com is good for maths practise questions
Best of luck! :hugs:
Bluepanda1234
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by rachellouise21)
Hi, I'm going into year 11 this year and I need help on how to and when to start revising for the gcse's. I have my mocks in Nov and I want to start quite early as I think I'm a bit behind compared to everyone else. I am aiming for all 7-9s. My strongest subjects are maths and english, which is quite good because I think they are subjects most people struggle with. I am also taking chemistry, physics, biology, spanish, comp sci, geography and history. Any tips on revising these? Thanks
Hey, same I'm going into Year 11 and have mocks in Nov. I really need to start revising because I don't want to fall behind as I want to achieve my target grades of 7-9s. I'm in the same situation as you so not too sure about any advice I can give that would help you but so far for chem, bio and physics I've just been doing past exam questions on every topic covered in year 10 and securing myself with all that because that's less to revise in year 11 I guess?
username3779520
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hey, when I was back in school, my French teacher recommended I use 'Memrise' for language study but it also has a tonne of other courses on there (I did end up using it for science at one point). It's kind of like flash cards and short chunks of information based on topics. Might help you if you're looking to make the most of short revision sessions. It's both an online website and an Android/IOS app.
rachellouise21
Rep:
?
(Original post by laurawatt)
Hi :hello: I’m going into Year 11 too! :five:
Make sure you do some revision for your mocks, but don’t burn yourself out :yes:
https://senecalearning.com is good for consolidation of work done in class (for a range of subjects and exam boards), YouTube channels like freesciencelessons/primrose kitten/science with hazel/doodle science etc. for science (and primrose kitten also for maths depending on your exam board), Mr Bruff for english
https://corbettmaths.com is good for maths practise questions
Best of luck! :hugs:
Will have a look at all of those websites and youtubers, thank you so much for the advice!
maddie022
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hey - the fact you're aiming for such high grades means you're obviously intelligent. I was the same, aiming high right from the start but don't drown yourself in work too early on, take it slow and do a little bit every now and then. Make sure to stay chilled as well, don't get too stressed
The GCP books are a godsend so use those as often as you can.
I used MathsWatch for Maths but I think that's a school operated thing so you might have to ask a teacher
Quizlet for Spanish alllll the way. Someone made a quizlet of all the words in the back of the CGP book - learn them! And make sure you know your tenses
Computer Science is painful. I hated it. You just have to learn everything by reading it over and over again. GCSE Pod isn't bad for CS, but there's very little application so you just have to memorise facts
I used PiXL mats for all 3 sciences - again, ask your school about them
I drew loads of A3 diagrams for geography (formation of different features, the circulation model, biomes etc). And LEARN YOUR CASE STUDIES NOW! I learnt mine the hour before the exam and regret it
And of course Mr Bruff for English, especially if you're with AQA. Watch all the videos, taking notes, and then watch them again at double speed. It will honestly make or break your English results
Hope this helped! Good luck!
SomMC1
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
No advice from me as Im quite tired today but just wishing you good luck for this year
rachellouise21
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bluepanda1234)
Hey, same I'm going into Year 11 and have mocks in Nov. I really need to start revising because I don't want to fall behind as I want to achieve my target grades of 7-9s. I'm in the same situation as you so not too sure about any advice I can give that would help you but so far for chem, bio and physics I've just been doing past exam questions on every topic covered in year 10 and securing myself with all that because that's less to revise in year 11 I guess?
Yay, glad to know im not the only one wanting to start revising as early as possible :grin:. I easily fall behind if I dont put in effort or pay attention in class. Thank you for your advice, I will definitly do some practice q on the 3 sciences as they are my weak points, and secure myself with the year 10 content. Thank you :yes:
rachellouise21
Rep:
?
(Original post by Yveltal262)
Hey, when I was back in school, my French teacher recommended I use 'Memrise' for language study but it also has a tonne of other courses on there (I did end up using it for science at one point). It's kind of like flash cards and short chunks of information based on topics. Might help you if you're looking to make the most of short revision sessions. It's both an online website and an Android/IOS app.
Yes my french teacher showed us Memrise as well! There aren't that many courses for AQA spanish though, but will have a look again for sure as I haven't looked for a while. Thank you so much
rachellouise21
Rep:
?
(Original post by maddie022)
Hey - the fact you're aiming for such high grades means you're obviously intelligent. I was the same, aiming high right from the start but don't drown yourself in work too early on, take it slow and do a little bit every now and then. Make sure to stay chilled as well, don't get too stressed
The GCP books are a godsend so use those as often as you can.
I used MathsWatch for Maths but I think that's a school operated thing so you might have to ask a teacher
Quizlet for Spanish alllll the way. Someone made a quizlet of all the words in the back of the CGP book - learn them! And make sure you know your tenses
Computer Science is painful. I hated it. You just have to learn everything by reading it over and over again. GCSE Pod isn't bad for CS, but there's very little application so you just have to memorise facts
I used PiXL mats for all 3 sciences - again, ask your school about them
I drew loads of A3 diagrams for geography (formation of different features, the circulation model, biomes etc). And LEARN YOUR CASE STUDIES NOW! I learnt mine the hour before the exam and regret it
And of course Mr Bruff for English, especially if you're with AQA. Watch all the videos, taking notes, and then watch them again at double speed. It will honestly make or break your English results
Hope this helped! Good luck!
Oh my lord, thank you so much! This is so helpful , I will definitely take on board all of your advice! I do go to a grammar school meaning everyone around me gets quite 'good' grades, and I myself have quite high standards but I'm probably lower middleish in my year and getting the top grades in my class doesn't usually happen. Thank you again! :yy:
ciaramcpherson
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Yes my french teacher showed us Memrise as well! There aren't that many courses for AQA spanish though, but will have a look again for sure as I haven't looked for a while. Thank you so much
For Spanish in particular I'd recommend learning as much random af vocab as you can (from the vocab list on the AQA website) as they like to throw in a few hard ones in the listening and reading. For example, this year they used the term 'el papel' which many people thought was 'paper' (which it is) but it also means 'role' as in acting role, so yk its cuz of silly things like that they troll us with that you may as well try and be one step ahead of the exam boards
rachellouise21
Rep:
?
(Original post by SomMC1)
No advice from me as Im quite tired today but just wishing you good luck for this year
Thank you!
rachellouise21
Rep:
?
(Original post by ciaramcpherson)
For Spanish in particular I'd recommend learning as much random af vocab as you can (from the vocab list on the AQA website) as they like to throw in a few hard ones in the listening and reading. For example, this year they used the term 'el papel' which many people thought was 'paper' (which it is) but it also means 'role' as in acting role, so yk its cuz of silly things like that they troll us with that you may as well try and be one step ahead of the exam boards
Yes exactly, the listening is the worst part, I literally have no idea what they are saying sometimes. Thank you, learn random vocab noted :yep:
RazzzBerries
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hi, I literally just made a forum about the new Year 11 lot without seeing this first (I'm facepalming).

I'm also going in, doing: English Lang and English Lit AQA, Maths Edexcel, Bio AQA, Chem AQA, Physics AQA, French AQA, History Edexcel and Music OCR. So we're kinda similar, minus a few.

I've just done a bit of revising over the summer just to prepare, I think it's the best you and me can do rn. Make a timetable for when you get back to school, that helped me last year and it worked!

Good luck, I'm sure you'll be amazing! x
rachellouise21
Rep:
?
(Original post by RazzzBerries)
Hi, I literally just made a forum about the new Year 11 lot without seeing this first (I'm facepalming).

I'm also going in, doing: English Lang and English Lit AQA, Maths Edexcel, Bio AQA, Chem AQA, Physics AQA, French AQA, History Edexcel and Music OCR. So we're kinda similar, minus a few.

I've just done a bit of revising over the summer just to prepare, I think it's the best you and me can do rn. Make a timetable for when you get back to school, that helped me last year and it worked!

Good luck, I'm sure you'll be amazing! x
Ahahaha, yes totally agree, thank you sm will make a revision timetable that sounds like a good idea! Good luck to you too! x
RazzzBerries
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Ahahaha, yes totally agree, thank you sm will make a revision timetable that sounds like a good idea! Good luck to you too! x
Thanks!
RiaWombat
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hey, I’m going into year 11 and hoping to get 7-9s. I’m doing English lit, language, triple science, German and history with Eduquas, Music, dance and art with AQA and Edexcel IGCSE maths. The issue is since Eduquas isn’t the most common exam board it is really difficult to find revision materials for it. I have a habit of procrastinating and haven’t had the best year mentally so I’m slightly nervous.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
rachellouise21
Rep:
?
(Original post by RiaWombat)
Hey, I’m going into year 11 and hoping to get 7-9s. I’m doing English lit, language, triple science, German and history with Eduquas, Music, dance and art with AQA and Edexcel IGCSE maths. The issue is since Eduquas isn’t the most common exam board it is really difficult to find revision materials for it. I have a habit of procrastinating and haven’t had the best year mentally so I’m slightly nervous.
Wow I haven't heard of Eduquas! Maybe ask your teachers for revision materials when you get back to school? Dw im sure you will be fine, I think most people are a bit nervous to start year 11 too. Good luck, wish u all the best x
AFTADBO
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Just listen on class GCSEs aren’t a big deal you will be fine if you literally just do your homework, pay attention and revise for like a short period of time at the end
RiaWombat
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Wow I haven't heard of Eduquas! Maybe ask your teachers for revision materials when you get back to school? Dw im sure you will be fine, I think most people are a bit nervous to start year 11 too. Good luck, wish u all the best x
Eduquas is a branch of WJEC, the welsh exam board, that follows the English syllabus. So I’m doing the 9-1 GCSEs while my friends in other schools are still doing A* to U. Overall very confusing.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (156)
17.69%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (76)
8.62%
No I am happy with my course choice (523)
59.3%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.4%

Watched Threads