Should I pick A level English Literature?

Watch
person123abc
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi all,

GCSE results are fast approaching and I haven't finalised my A level options! I'm aiming for an 8 in English literature. The A level exam board is Edexcel. What I'm struggling with is the fact writing good essays don't come naturally to me, nor am I a keen book reader, however, I do really enjoy analysing language and linking it with things! Any help/advice is so, so, so appreciated, thank you!
GeniusOfEarl100
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by person123abc)
Hi all,

GCSE results are fast approaching and I haven't finalised my A level options! I'm aiming for an 8 in English literature. The A level exam board is Edexcel. What I'm struggling with is the fact writing good essays don't come naturally to me, nor am I a keen book reader, however, I do really enjoy analysing language and linking it with things! Any help/advice is so, so, so appreciated, thank you!

Essay ability at this point isn’t a problem as GCSE essays are so different to A level ones. I’ll be honest, you have to read lots and I mean LOTS. I do AQA so it might be a bit different but in my course we were given a huge list of books we needed to read in the first lesson and further reading around the course content is essential for top grades. I would say however that you should just see what you get on Thursday. If you can get an 8 or are clearly very good at English Lit!
pHseven
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The one thing anyone has ever said to me about English Lit is that you must enjoy reading!!! Essay writing can come with practice so that's not the issue but if you don't like reading books then maybe don't pick English? Good luck for Thursday (I'm getting my results too)
Historystudent5
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi,
I am currently an A-level Literature student moving into my final year. I, like you, am not an avid reader and much prefer writing and analysing language.
Sadly, as you would expect, there is a lot of reading required. However, not all texts are long novels, with plays, prose and poetry all covered too. If you are
aiming for an 8 (Good luck for results day), you must be doing something right. It can be a very challenging subject and is very demanding with the
amount of work required of you. At times I found it frustrating when some of my science friends could sit in free periods doing nothing while I had a pile of
essays to write (I take 3 essay subjects). It is a facilitating A-level so keeps a lot of options open in terms of future careers. It is well respected and demonstrates good communication skills, which is important in most jobs. Personally, I prefer studying Literature at A-level more than I did at GCSE. Ultimately, I would only recommend taking the subject if you are willing to put in a lot of effort, think it will help your career prospects and ENJOY it. To succeed at A-level in any subject you must enjoy your subject or you wont put in enough effort. I hope your results day goes well! Feel free to message me about anything at anytime!
person123abc
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Thank you so much for your replies! I really will consider them and I guess its all up to my results today :I
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (47)
18.01%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (73)
27.97%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (100)
38.31%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (32)
12.26%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (9)
3.45%

Watched Threads