H16K
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm currently waiting for my GCSE results and i'm SO SO nervous. the sixth form i really want to get into (its at my current school so im an internal student) requires a 7.0 grade average including a grade 5 in maths and english lang. they also require a 7 in all subjects studied at A-level.

i intend to study english lit, sociology, politics and french at this sixth form but im worried that i got a 4 instead of a 5 in maths which nationally is still a pass. im also worried i didnt get a 7.0 average and may not have got a 7 in the listed subjects.

does anyone have any advice on how to persuade the sixth from to let me in if my grades don't exactly meet their requirements. Thank you.

BTW- i did edexcel higher maths, let me know your thoughts on this paper if you did it
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by H16K)
I'm currently waiting for my GCSE results and i'm SO SO nervous. the sixth form i really want to get into (its at my current school so im an internal student) requires a 7.0 grade average including a grade 5 in maths and english lang. they also require a 7 in all subjects studied at A-level.

i intend to study english lit, sociology, politics and french at this sixth form but im worried that i got a 4 instead of a 5 in maths which nationally is still a pass. im also worried i didnt get a 7.0 average and may not have got a 7 in the listed subjects.

does anyone have any advice on how to persuade the sixth from to let me in if my grades don't exactly meet their requirements. Thank you.

BTW- i did edexcel higher maths, let me know your thoughts on this paper if you did it
Given that this year is the first year of the new exams, if you don't get the right grades for sixth form, it's likely other people will have missed them too. The school will need certain numbers to make its sixth form viable, so it may be that they end up reducing their requirements a bit.

Otherwise, on results day, if the school know you are a committed and dedicated student, it's a good idea to talk to them if you miss any grades. Often there is some leniency for internal students.

Do you have a back up plan in case you miss the entry requirements by a long way?
H16K
Rep:
?
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Given that this year is the first year of the new exams, if you don't get the right grades for sixth form, it's likely other people will have missed them too. The school will need certain numbers to make its sixth form viable, so it may be that they end up reducing their requirements a bit.

Otherwise, on results day, if the school know you are a committed and dedicated student, it's a good idea to talk to them if you miss any grades. Often there is some leniency for internal students.

Do you have a back up plan in case you miss the entry requirements by a long way?
Thank you for your response.

yeah i supposed i had never thought about it like that and yeah i do have a back up plan to go to a college with lower entry requirements and possibly resit maths if need be.
but of course i'd rather not do that lol
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by H16K)
Thank you for your response.

yeah i supposed i had never thought about it like that and yeah i do have a back up plan to go to a college with lower entry requirements and possibly resit maths if need be.
but of course i'd rather not do that lol
It's good to have a back up plan, just in case, though- at least your school sixth form isn't all or nothing.

Obviously, I don't know your school, but an average of 7 seems pretty high to me, especially with it being nearly all new exams. They may find they have pitched things a bit wrong and have to lower their entry requirements on the day. You've all had (roughly) the same teaching- so it's unlikely just you would do badly.

If there's just one entry requirement you miss-e.g. the 5 in maths, it may be that you can arrange some way of resitting this and stay on at sixth form. It's also possible that you might need to chose slightly different subjects.

In general, I do think schools want their internal students to progress. It doesn't usually look good if they are asking lots of people (who wanted to stay) to leave after year 11.
H16K
Rep:
?
It's good to have a back up plan, just in case, though- at least your school sixth form isn't all or nothing.

Obviously, I don't know your school, but an average of 7 seems pretty high to me, especially with it being nearly all new exams. They may find they have pitched things a bit wrong and have to lower their entry requirements on the day. You've all had (roughly) the same teaching- so it's unlikely just you would do badly.

If there's just one entry requirement you miss-e.g. the 5 in maths, it may be that you can arrange some way of resitting this and stay on at sixth form. It's also possible that you might need to chose slightly different subjects.

In general, I do think schools want their internal students to progress. It doesn't usually look good if they are asking lots of people (who wanted to stay) to leave after year 11.

Thank you so much. just one more question:
will resitting maths or going to a ''bad'' sixth form affect my chances of getting into a good uni?
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by H16K)
Thank you so much. just one more question:
will resitting maths or going to a ''bad'' sixth form affect my chances of getting into a good uni?
Unis don't care about GCSE resits, as long as you get the grade.

Going to a less good sixth form may affect the advice and teaching you get- but if you get the right grades, you have the same chance as everyone else of getting into a good uni. If it's an especially poor sixth form, you might even get a slightly lower offer, as unis will know you've had to work harder for your results.

But in general, unis don't care which sixth form you have gone to.
H16K
Rep:
?
Unis don't care about GCSE resits, as long as you get the grade.

Going to a less good sixth form may affect the advice and teaching you get- but if you get the right grades, you have the same chance as everyone else of getting into a good uni. If it's an especially poor sixth form, you might even get a slightly lower offer, as unis will know you've had to work harder for your results.

But in general, unis don't care which sixth form you have gone to.
Cool. Thank you for helping!
H16K
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
update: I got the 5 and got into the sixth form
username3774332
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by H16K)
update: I got the 5 and got into the sixth form
ayy, happy for u
H16K
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Thanks man, good luck with your studies and let me know if i can help
(Original post by Rid The Kid)
ayy, happy for u
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (82)
13.67%
1 (81)
13.5%
2 (78)
13%
19.83%
21.5%
18.5%

Watched Threads