The Student Room Group

Cookery Should be on the National Curriculum

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2018/aug/21/from-pasta-to-stir-fry-foods-children-should-learn-to-cook-in-school

What do we think of this?

I'd have thought, since a slot of schools are academies now, the national curriculum was more of a suggestion than a rule set.
It was in my day. It was called Domestic Science. I remember my kids bringing home rock cakes. You could build a house with them.
Reply 2
I’m 19, i did cookery at school in year 8 compulsory. I think it’s the responsibility of parents to teach that sort of thing, if we want to be competitive in the world job market, I believe we should focus more on Subjects like stem and languages
Logic, theory of argumentation, political philosophy, and classical philosophy should be on the National Curriculum, because they're all going to have the right to vote when they grow up.

Cooking is not so vital, they can learn on their own if they want, and they should now what is good for them from biology lessons.
My school did a bit of cooking teaching up until year 9 and it was fairly useless. I learned more watching youtube for an hour than I did from 3 years of that.
I had to do food tech from year 7-9 compulsory, but I never learnt any cooking skills that are useful / will carry with me through life. We ended up watching Hell's kitchen a couple of times :biggrin: - I guess I'm going to end up learning from youtube or something. I think basic life skills which would include cooking should be on the national curriculum.
No it should be taught at home or self taught you can’t expect schools to do everything
Reply 7
Original post by Seamus123
It was in my day. It was called Domestic Science. I remember my kids bringing home rock cakes. You could build a house with them.

Yeah, I did Food tech up until the end of year 11 because I took it as a GCSE. I think most schools run it from year 7-year 9, but you don't make anything really complex. I went from making simple cheese sauces, and smoothies to putting together fairly complex pasta dishes with fish, or making cakes and other baked goods.

Original post by AFTADBO
I’m 19, i did cookery at school in year 8 compulsory. I think it’s the responsibility of parents to teach that sort of thing, if we want to be competitive in the world job market, I believe we should focus more on Subjects like stem and languages

There seems to be a lot of this focus that education should be for the express purpose of prepping kids for the job market. Do you think education should only serve that purpose? Or do you think that it has other responsibilities?

Original post by PTMalewski
Logic, theory of argumentation, political philosophy, and classical philosophy should be on the National Curriculum, because they're all going to have the right to vote when they grow up.

Cooking is not so vital, they can learn on their own if they want, and they should now what is good for them from biology lessons.

So you think that proper philosophy should be mandatory on the curriculum? How do you think that should be implemented?

Also, why do you think cooking is non-vital? It can be a useful skill, and can be an important social one too.

I think the article is targeting primary aged children, more than anything. I think most secondary schools have some sort of Food Technology or catering course.

Original post by Retired_Messiah
My school did a bit of cooking teaching up until year 9 and it was fairly useless. I learned more watching youtube for an hour than I did from 3 years of that.

I found the same, until I hit GCSE, and you go properly into the reasons for ingredients and stuff. It's been really helpful because I can throw things together with a lot more confidence, and if something goes wrong while I'm baking I can usually fix it.

Original post by kawaii sashimi
I had to do food tech from year 7-9 compulsory, but I never learnt any cooking skills that are useful / will carry with me through life. We ended up watching Hell's kitchen a couple of times :biggrin: - I guess I'm going to end up learning from youtube or something. I think basic life skills which would include cooking should be on the national curriculum.

What do you think to people saying that it is a skill that should be taught at home, and who seem to be suggesting there isn't time for it, with all the more job centric subjects?

Original post by SuperHuman98
No it should be taught at home or self taught you can’t expect schools to do everything

What about children whose parents are a bit worthless? I was quite lucky that my dad was willing to teach me a lot about cooking, but others have not been so lucky. Should they just be left behind? Sure, the idea of self teaching is great, but if we can give a child a springboard to start from, surely that's better?
Original post by vicvic38

What do you think to people saying that it is a skill that should be taught at home, and who seem to be suggesting there isn't time for it, with all the more job centric subjects?
r?

I think those people do have a fair point, but, the school's main purpose is to teach children for the better and teach them things that will benefit them. cooking skills could be taught at home in conjunction with what they would be learning at school just like some kids get help with other schoolwork or homework at home. I think schools need to up their game in terms of how they teach cookery or cooking skills though since you don't end up learning much. Also, I understand and partially agree with there probably not being much time with it because of the job focused subjects. However, you could suggest then that things like P.E or music should also be taught at home as they're not really job focused (ik i'm being a bit unfair to music) and are taking up unnecessary time. But these things like P.E, for example, are important as they benefit the child in primary school, secondary and beyond. it keeps them healthy and teaches them how to look after their health and shouldn't just be taught at home. similar to cookery. Now, whether or not the child decides to use those skills in life is their choice, but, at least they then have those skills. There may also be no-one at home who actually has those cookery skills in the first place or has the time to teach them, so how would a kid learn? it could even mean some kids would have a little bit of an unfair advantage because of things like this. what do you think about my response?
Reply 9
Should be the parent's responsibility though. They can simply encourage their child to start helping them with cooking. I was never taught how to cook and my parents were always at work, but I helped around whenever I could and gradually learnt on my own at the age of 13.

However, it would be nice to have it in primary school to encourage kids earlier in life.
No because in cooking classes you're expected to bring your own ingredients. Imagine how much a kid from a less privileged background would struggle with this which would lead to an increase in inequality. The alternative is the school providing all ingredients. That would be great. We'd have more chefs, which the whole country generally lacks, and more independent kids. But, considering how much that would cost schools, what is the likelihood of that being introduced?

This is a great idea in theory but something too difficult to materialise.

So you think that proper philosophy should be mandatory on the curriculum? How do you think that should be implemented?

Also, why do you think cooking is non-vital? It can be a useful skill, and can be an important social one too.

Pupils should be taught logic and theory of argumentation to make them resilient to political manipulation and able to understand logic of sentences in all sorts of complex contexts (or lack of it).

Philosophy basically teaches you what are possible ways of thinking and failure beyond most of them- this skill is hugely practical in life, from making personal choices to political elections.

At primary school it should be implemented mainly as asking questions and finding possible solutions - a sort of game riddle, that allows children to exercise their natural thinking talent - with a little bit of support from known philosophy and logic.
Further on, in my opinion it should be mainly classical philosophy (classical philosophy is the basics of all philosophy and in my opinion further philosophy is just an expanding commentary) plus basics of modern philosophy of science, so people would know what actually scientist are doing and what's the point of it, and spending money on it.

Political philosophy would also be very useful. It would stop constant discoveries of the same wheel, plus bring some more order to public debate, and help eg. with the current debate on hate speech vs. free speech, religious tolerance etc.

Cooking is far from being such a vital skill because you can easily learn it by yourself, while logic or philosophy are not so easy, and most of the people aren't interested in it to even try learning by themselves.
Besides, if you can't cook, you this won't make you vote for another Adolf Hitler or Osama bin-Laden (and there are Osamas in Europe who want to win the elections someday)

As one of my professors said: Cows don't need to know der Ideen Geschichten, because unlike people they haven't sent anyone to gas chambers.
I found the same, until I hit GCSE, and you go properly into the reasons for ingredients and stuff. It's been really helpful because I can throw things together with a lot more confidence, and if something goes wrong while I'm baking I can usually fix it.

I think that's basically the problem. Cooking lessons are stressful by design seeing as you've usually got to throw something together and clean up within the lesson time, so an hour or so at best, and then most cooking teachers from my experience only had any real patience for their GCSE students. Anybody year 9 and under spent an hour running around like a headless chicken trying to put their thing together and after that mess you have 0 motivation to try and apply anything you might have learned back in your stress-free kitchen at home, and so anything you might learn you forget within the week. And that's ignoring the fact that they didn't even let you near anything that complicated until year 8.

The article takes a better tack to how cooking is currently taught, teaching kids a few essential meals that are easy to do a riff on would likely be quite useful, so long as the teaching process is made a bit better than it is currently.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending