The Student Room Group

Retaking or clearing?

Hello,

To cut it straight to the point, on results day I failed to achieve my A*AA, lost my place at LSE and QMUL and ended up in Clearing (with BCC and a D* in a BTEC). I have been given offers for LLB Law from Westminster, London South Bank and Middlesex (as well as UEL). However, post visiting each university, I realised that I did not end up liking any of them.

My family would prefer if I just went to any university and the just do a masters at LSE. However, I am starting to consider retaking (something my family finds unacceptable since they believe I could come out with the same grades and just waste a precious year of my education).

Any advice?
Original post by spyter
Hello,

To cut it straight to the point, on results day I failed to achieve my A*AA, lost my place at LSE and QMUL and ended up in Clearing (with BCC and a D* in a BTEC). I have been given offers for LLB Law from Westminster, London South Bank and Middlesex (as well as UEL). However, post visiting each university, I realised that I did not end up liking any of them.

My family would prefer if I just went to any university and the just do a masters at LSE. However, I am starting to consider retaking (something my family finds unacceptable since they believe I could come out with the same grades and just waste a precious year of my education).

Any advice?

Ultimately, it is your life- but retaking may be difficult if your family can't/won't support you financially. Have you looked at clearing options outside of London?

How do LSE view retakes these days?
Reply 2
What were your reasons for not liking the universities?
Reply 3
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Ultimately, it is your life- but retaking may be difficult if your family can't/won't support you financially. Have you looked at clearing options outside of London?

How do LSE view retakes these days?

I have called Essex and have been offered a place, however, since I cannot get a maintenance loan and my family does not have the ability to support my stay outside of London, I am stuck in London.
I don't truly know LSE's perspective, they said they assess it on a case to case basis.
Original post by spyter
I have called Essex and have been offered a place, however, since I cannot get a maintenance loan and my family does not have the ability to support my stay outside of London, I am stuck in London.
I don't truly know LSE's perspective, they said they assess it on a case to case basis.

This probably means they aren't that keen on retakes unless you have extenuating circumstances. However, plenty of other unis won't be bothered by retakes at all (I imagine KCL and QMUL, for example, would fall into this category).

May I ask why you are unable to get a maintenance loan?
Reply 5
Original post by Smuu
What were your reasons for not liking the universities?

I did not like some of them due to the campus (Middlesex and LSB), the small library + over 300 students for the subject + the very large seminars and tutorials (Westminister). But, moreover, I did not feel as if I belonged there. I visited them all today and on my way home I was just silently crying and praying that I won't be miserable for 3 years in the one I end up choosing.

Furthermore, I am waiting on my remarks and I am worried that my BCC will become ABB and then I won't have the possibility to attend a better university, such as SOAS or City (since the places would be gone by then, and transferring to the university will force me to redo year 1).
Reply 6
This probably means they aren't that keen on retakes unless you have extenuating circumstances. However, plenty of other unis won't be bothered by retakes at all (I imagine KCL and QMUL, for example, would fall into this category).

May I ask why you are unable to get a maintenance loan?

I am unable to get a maintenance loan since I have only been in this country for 3 years. Student Fiance told me that I must have lived a minimum of 5 years in the UK for me to be able to obtain it.
In relation to retakes, I don't know QMUL's standpoint, however, KCL and UCL do not accept them (hence my parent's hesitation). Furthermore, I just turned 19, thus I would have to retake by myself, without being enroled in any institution (which does not help my argument to my parents)
Reply 7
Original post by spyter
I did not like some of them due to the campus (Middlesex and LSB), the small library + over 300 students for the subject + the very large seminars and tutorials (Westminister). But, moreover, I did not feel as if I belonged there. I visited them all today and on my way home I was just silently crying and praying that I won't be miserable for 3 years in the one I end up choosing.

Furthermore, I am waiting on my remarks and I am worried that my BCC will become ABB and then I won't have the possibility to attend a better university, such as SOAS or City (since the places would be gone by then, and transferring to the university will force me to redo year 1).

Have you tried city, it think they'll take u thru clearing. Fill their online clearing application to get a fast responce.
Reply 8
Original post by John mck
Have you tried city, it think they'll take u thru clearing. Fill their online clearing application to get a fast responce.

I have, they have rejected me despite meeting the UCAS tariff points required. I called them and made an application at 9 am on results day. They said they had more students with better grades so the spaces got filled up. I believe I could get into City for English (since they still have places), however, I don't know whether I would be able to transfer to Law (so it is a risky choice).
Original post by spyter
I am unable to get a maintenance loan since I have only been in this country for 3 years. Student Fiance told me that I must have lived a minimum of 5 years in the UK for me to be able to obtain it.
In relation to retakes, I don't know QMUL's standpoint, however, KCL and UCL do not accept them (hence my parent's hesitation). Furthermore, I just turned 19, thus I would have to retake by myself, without being enroled in any institution (which does not help my argument to my parents)

This page seems to suggest otherwise, re KCL and retakes:
https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/apply/entry-requirements/index.aspx

I also thought it was only 3 years for SFE (this is with settled status, though)- if you had a chance of getting student finance after you retook, would this help your case with your parents?

Being 19 does make it a bit more tricky, especially if you will now have to pay fees for exams as well.
Original post by spyter
I have, they have rejected me despite meeting the UCAS tariff points required. I called them and made an application at 9 am on results day. They said they had more students with better grades so the spaces got filled up. I believe I could get into City for English (since they still have places), however, I don't know whether I would be able to transfer to Law (so it is a risky choice).

Well I'd recommend you to retake if your 100% certain you'll get the grades needed for uni, if not try westminster, im sure it won't be too bad.

Also cant you do 1 year at Westminster then jump into year 2 to a desired uni of your choice? Is that possible?
Reply 11
This page seems to suggest otherwise, re KCL and retakes:
https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/apply/entry-requirements/index.aspx

I also thought it was only 3 years for SFE (this is with settled status, though)- if you had a chance of getting student finance after you retook, would this help your case with your parents?

Being 19 does make it a bit more tricky, especially if you will now have to pay fees for exams as well.

Unfortunately, I would need 2 more years to get the maintenance (I do get the regular 9250 loan to pay for the course though). At this point, I am not even sure it is worthwhile to retake. Perhaps I am easy to influence (in a way I am since my parents have a lot of say in my life...it is a cultural thing) however, what option I have?

If my parents are correct, paying and studying without a teacher's help could lead me to get the same grades...or lower. Plus I have to go through the whole UCAS Personal Statement thing once more.

Also, are the unis as bad as people say? As I said, I have only been in this country for 3 years, but my college has insisted that only a degree from a top university (be it Russel Group or not) is worthwhile and would lead pupils to a job. I am just afraid that I will start uni for the sake of my parents and end up dropping out or reapplying to other unis (whilst also redoing my A levels) during term time.
Reply 12
QUOTE=John mck;79411818]Well I'd recommend you to retake if your 100% certain you'll get the grades needed for uni, if not try westminster, im sure it won't be too bad.

Also cant you do 1 year at Westminster then jump into year 2 to a desired uni of your choice? Is that possible?

It would for a non-law degree. For law, from what I read on QMUL, City and SOAS's websites, you can only do so if you have done the same modules before (this is since, for the degree to be classified as LLB and not BA, you must study the 5 nationally compulsory modules). Since neither of the unis which gave me offers don't do a carbon copy of what QMUL, City and SOAS do in first year, I would be forced to restart my degree.
Original post by spyter
Unfortunately, I would need 2 more years to get the maintenance (I do get the regular 9250 loan to pay for the course though). At this point, I am not even sure it is worthwhile to retake. Perhaps I am easy to influence (in a way I am since my parents have a lot of say in my life...it is a cultural thing) however, what option I have?

If my parents are correct, paying and studying without a teacher's help could lead me to get the same grades...or lower. Plus I have to go through the whole UCAS Personal Statement thing once more.

Also, are the unis as bad as people say? As I said, I have only been in this country for 3 years, but my college has insisted that only a degree from a top university (be it Russel Group or not) is worthwhile and would lead pupils to a job. I am just afraid that I will start uni for the sake of my parents and end up dropping out or reapplying to other unis (whilst also redoing my A levels) during term time.

I think regardless of culture, if your parents are helping you out financially, they do get a say in your life. Obviously, in some cultures, they do have more influence.

I am not a RG or nothing or top 20 or nothing type of person- it depends a lot on the field you want to work in. Unfortunately, law is one of those fields where the uni you go to does have more of an impact (as it's quite a traditional field). What area of law would you want to go into in the future?

Have you thought about seeing if a second year transfer is possible?
Reply 14
I think regardless of culture, if your parents are helping you out financially, they do get a say in your life. Obviously, in some cultures, they do have more influence.

I am not a RG or nothing or top 20 or nothing type of person- it depends a lot on the field you want to work in. Unfortunately, law is one of those fields where the uni you go to does have more of an impact (as it's quite a traditional field). What area of law would you want to go into in the future?

Have you thought about seeing if a second year transfer is possible?

Well...here is the thing. I am 80% sure that I don't want to pursue a legal career post-graduation. I have done two work experiences at city law firms, and I simply cannot imagine having to defend an immoral person/company. I am currently considering a career in the civil service, politics, or something along those lines. I want to study law for the simple fact that it had been my favourite subject of study, and I truly enjoyed contract and tort law, and I cannot wait to learn more about the intricacies of the subject.

Perhaps a lot of work experience plus the masters would help me find a job?
Original post by spyter
Well...here is the thing. I am 80% sure that I don't want to pursue a legal career post-graduation. I have done two work experiences at city law firms, and I simply cannot imagine having to defend an immoral person/company. I am currently considering a career in the civil service, politics, or something along those lines. I want to study law for the simple fact that it had been my favourite subject of study, and I truly enjoyed contract and tort law, and I cannot wait to learn more about the intricacies of the subject.

Perhaps a lot of work experience plus the masters would help me find a job?

For civil service work etc, the uni you go to will matter less than if you wanted to get a legal training contract. Work experience will definitely help you find a job after graduating- a masters isn't usually necessary in the UK for civil service grad schemes?

If you enjoy tort law, have you thought about becoming a solicitor at all?
I know this is quite out of the bloom, but why not also consider a degree in computer science. It has a great future for those who graduate and also has a very good starting salary. If u are uncertain on your current choice of degree check out computer science.

Im recomending as im doing next year.
Reply 17
Original post by spyter

Hmm, well I think you should go with your instinct. Taking a year out isn’t bad, in fact you can do so much alongside retaking like volunteering/work experience. That way when you apply for the coming year you’ll be a much more rounded person and can go to the university you like. If you have to be based in London look for unis that accept retakes. QMUL accept retakes as I graduated from there and applied with my A2s being retaken :smile:
Original post by spyter
Hello,

Any advice?

Hello,

I do think that going to university now could be a good idea for you :smile:
If you got a place, you might as well start.
In some cases, if you do really well, you can transfer yourself to another university at the end of the 1st year. If it would not be the case, you can always do a Masters at LSE,as you said.

I am studying at Middlesex so let me know if you need any advice or have any questions.

Good luck :smile:

Ludovica

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending