The Student Room Group

What to wear on a night out??

Hello everyone,

So I am looking for advice as to what sorts of outfits I could wear to go out clubbing? I'm an 18-year old female, who is going to be starting university in September, and I've never been on a night out before. I prefer to dress quite conservatively, and so I wouldn't wear things that are too short or low-cut...

Anyway, I'm not quite sure what sort of thing would be suitable. A dress? Dark jeans, and a nice top with a leather jacket perhaps??

Would appreciate some help with this. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Dresses, dark jeans and sparkly tops, skirts with tights.

Check Boohoo, it’s really cheap.
a dress, probably bodycon or even a nice top and a nice pair of skinny jeans would do well, its really up to you. Most people where bodycon dresses with like some lace, if its winter its perhaps good if you wear long sleeved dresses there are some really nice ones, pretty little thing and bohoo do really nice ones.
Reply 3
I am a man so I don't know how much this will help but for me comfortable = confident = good times. There are no rules, if you like it then great. On a practical note, be aware that inside clubs and pubs can be hot and outside can be really cold, so be aware, tipsy and freezing is not fun, nor is tipsy and boiling.

Jeans and a nice top is also a winner for a relaxed place or a club, maybe a dress if it more of an event though maybe, or if you are feeling fabulous! Again I don't really know, just trying to help.
Reply 4
Original post by So Fetch
Dresses, dark jeans and sparkly tops, skirts with tights.

Check Boohoo, it’s really cheap.

Thanks! And do you think wedges or heeled boots would do? Only I'm not the best at walking in stilettos, and it's quite a climb to my accommodation.
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks! And do you think wedges or heeled boots would do? Only I'm not the best at walking in stilettos, and it's quite a climb to my accommodation.

If they match your outfit, sure
Reply 6
Original post by Benihana
I am a man so I don't know how much this will help but for me comfortable = confident = good times. There are no rules, if you like it then great. On a practical note, be aware that inside clubs and pubs can be hot and outside can be really cold, so be aware, tipsy and freezing is not fun, nor is tipsy and boiling.

Jeans and a nice top is also a winner for a relaxed place or a club, maybe a dress if it more of an event though maybe, or if you are feeling fabulous! Again I don't really know, just trying to help.

Thank you! So would you recommend wearing a coat? I've got a smart one which would look really nice for the occasion, but it's quite expensive and I wouldn't want it to get stolen if I left it in the cloakrooms??
Reply 7
Original post by kekedoyouloveme?
a dress, probably bodycon or even a nice top and a nice pair of skinny jeans would do well, its really up to you. Most people where bodycon dresses with like some lace, if its winter its perhaps good if you wear long sleeved dresses there are some really nice ones, pretty little thing and bohoo do really nice ones.

Thanks, I'll check those websites out!
You probably won't want to wear a jacket as it gets very hot in clubs. Wedges and heeled boots are both fine, but if you'd feel more comfortable in flats then wear them! Honestly most of the time when I go out I wear trainers rather than heels. Jeans and a top are fine, as is a dress, as long as you are sufficiently dressed up. Very few places have a dress code but most people dress up on nights out so you will likely feel more comfortable if you dress up to
Reply 9
Thank you! So would you recommend wearing a coat? I've got a smart one which would look really nice for the occasion, but it's quite expensive and I wouldn't want it to get stolen if I left it in the cloakrooms??

I've never had an issue with cloakrooms (that wasn't my fault anyway). Is it going to be cold? I don't tend to wear expensive things as accidents happen and I am not that rich. What is the occasion?
Jeans and a top are probably a good choice. An above the knee dress would be cute or a nice skirt and top would look nice as well but might be too much. Be comfortable and go with a nice pair of jeans and a nice conservative top with maybe a necklace to add a bit of touch to it.
Wear what you're comfortable in but if you're going quite casual, then it's good to dress up the outfit a bit with attention to your makeup, shoes, bag & general accessories.

Tips:

1. Many clubs do not look kindly upon trainers. Footwear doesn't have to be high heel, but it should at least look fairly smart.
2. Clubs can get Very hot inside (so only bring a jacket if the weather actually calls for it on the journey to or fro from the club).

3. Bring a bag with some essentials such as money specifically reserved for a taxi if you need one (figuring out how much you would get charged for a taxi back home late at night as they can get more expensive over the course of the night) andany essential numbers written down on a small piece of paper (were you to lose your phone etc). I have seen SO many girls over the years spend their ride home money or get abandoned or lost from the friends responsible for helping give them a ride home (etc), it's ridiculous!
Sometimes it's just good to have that ability to be able to pay to go home early if you feel the need to. NEVER SPEND YOUR TAXI MONEY.

While you don't want to travel too heavy (big bag getting in the way, lugging around an unecessary jacket etc), you also want to be prepared for some basic potential situation stuff were it to happen. In terms of what bag to bring, REALLY focus on how easy it is to pick pocket (not that such crime is usually an issue in night clubs, but you also don't want to go inviting any unwanted hands either! Some bags look very nice but are very lacking in terms of keeping your wallet & phone secure).
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Benihana
I've never had an issue with cloakrooms (that wasn't my fault anyway). Is it going to be cold? I don't tend to wear expensive things as accidents happen and I am not that rich. What is the occasion?

Well I live in Wales, so it does tend to get a bit cold :biggrin: I meant the occasion of going out at night. I doubt I'll be much of a party animal, but I won't know until I try it I suppose :tongue:
Original post by Winnie-The-Pooh
Jeans and a top are probably a good choice. An above the knee dress would be cute or a nice skirt and top would look nice as well but might be too much. Be comfortable and go with a nice pair of jeans and a nice conservative top with maybe a necklace to add a bit of touch to it.

Thanks so much. Not many people understand my predicament in wanting to go out, but not dress in really low-cut/revealing outfits. I'm just not comfortable in wearing that sort of thing.
Thanks so much. Not many people understand my predicament in wanting to go out, but not dress in really low-cut/revealing outfits. I'm just not comfortable in wearing that sort of thing.
I can understand it. Real guys will appreciate anything you wear. It doesn't have to be all revealing. You wear what you are comfortable wearing.
I’ve seen people wear puffer jackets inside clubs...safe to say they are mental. Im a bloke and wouldn’t wear anything heavier than a hoodie to a club even if it was raining cats and dogs. Long of the short of it, wear what’s comfortable.

I’ve also heard that wearing heels is a really bad idea 🤷*♂️
Original post by Feastful
Wear what you're comfortable in but if you're going quite casual, then it's good to dress up the outfit a bit with attention to your makeup, shoes, bag & general accessories.

Tips:

1. Many clubs do not look kindly upon trainers. Footwear doesn't have to be high heel, but it should look at least fairly smart.
2. Clubs can get Very hot inside (so only bring a jacket if the weather actually calls for it on the journey to or fro from the club).

3. Bring a bag with some essentials such as money specifically reserved for a taxi if you need one (figure out how much you would get charged for a taxi back home late at night as they can get more expensive over the course of the night) and essential numbers written down on a small piece of paper (were you to lose your phone etc). I have seen SO many girls over the years spend their ride home money or get abandoned or lost from the friends responsible for helping give them a ride home (etc), it's ridiculous!
Sometimes it's just god to have that ability to be able to pay to go home early if you feel the need to). NEVER SPEND YOUR TAXI MONEY.

While you don't want to travel too heavy (big bag getting in the way, lugging an unecessary jacket around etc), you also want to be prepared for some basic potential situation stuff were it to happen. In terms of what bag to bring, REALLY focus on how easy it is to pick pocket (not that such crime is usually an issue in night clubs, but you also don't want to go inviting any unwanted hands either! Some bags look very nice but are very lacking in terms of keeping your wallet & phone secure).

Thanks so much! Those tips are really great because I'm absolutely clueless about the whole thing! Luckily for me, the town is within walking distance of my flat and I've got these roll-up flat shoes that fit in my clutch, so I can walk if I need to. I hadn't thought about the paper with numbers on - such a good idea!
Original post by student2six
I’ve seen people wear puffer jackets inside clubs...safe to say they are mental. Im a bloke and wouldn’t wear anything heavier than a hoodie to a club even if it was raining cats and dogs. Long of the short of it, wear what’s comfortable.

I’ve also heard that wearing heels is a really bad idea 🤷*♂️

Ah, thanks. What do most girls wear then, if not heels??
Hello everyone,

So I am looking for advice as to what sorts of outfits I could wear to go out clubbing? I'm an 18-year old female, who is going to be starting university in September, and I've never been on a night out before. I prefer to dress quite conservatively, and so I wouldn't wear things that are too short or low-cut...

Anyway, I'm not quite sure what sort of thing would be suitable. A dress? Dark jeans, and a nice top with a leather jacket perhaps??

Would appreciate some help with this. :smile:

I usually wear dark coloured jeans with a nice top, wear your favioute color to!

Avoid wearing high heels if your going to be standing or walking for long
Ah, thanks. What do most girls wear then, if not heels??

I’m not paying too much attention to what’s on girls’ (or anyone’s) feet if I’m honest, but within my friend group most girls wear flats or even plimsoles.

As for tops, you’re better off asking a lass 😅

Your shoes will get destroyed by the horrid nature of club floors - imagine years worth of fermented alcohol and bodily fluid ingrained into the floor, it’s not pleasant.

Quick Reply

Latest