The Student Room Group

Very nervous about English Speaking exam!

I have my English speaking exam the fist day back in September. I am very nervous.I am finding writing the actual speech on being too reliant on tech hard to write, i seriously cant think what to write. I also have a lisp and stutter when under pressure. I really want to pass as i feel like if i fail it will look bad against possible grade 7/8s. Please help! I am stressing and crying over it. Also we have a new teacher in September who is new to our school so she wont know how hard presentations are for me. Thanks.
Original post by Hippo44
I have my English speaking exam the fist day back in September. I am very nervous.I am finding writing the actual speech on being too reliant on tech hard to write, i seriously cant think what to write. I also have a lisp and stutter when under pressure. I really want to pass as i feel like if i fail it will look bad against possible grade 7/8s. Please help! I am stressing and crying over it. Also we have a new teacher in September who is new to our school so she wont know how hard presentations are for me. Thanks.
Okay, breathe you have plenty of time. :heart:

Who is too reliant on tech?:smile:
Reply 2
Stop stop stoppppp
Honestly I’m not trying to belittle you and I understand where you’re coming from. But the English speaking exam in the easiest exam ever.
Honestly all you have to do to pass is speak for (5 mins?) the duration of time you’re teacher set about a certain topic. That’s all. You can read of a paper or memorise it, mumble a bit or be extremely clear. It doesn’t matter that much. Everyone in my year passed all 180 of us. Around 10 of those could barley speak English. More then half of them never done public speaking or were extermelly shy. It didn’t matter.
The grades you get are, Pass, Merit, Distinction.
Literally for this one exam their is no difference between a pass or distinction.
The whole point of the exam is to show you can speak English
You will not fail as long as you come prepared on your topic.
And you still have 2 weeks before school starts.
Just relax this week and write the essay next week.
Google key points about being too reliant on tech
Make an argument
Intro: 1 min of speaking (bs the intro, my name is blah blah blah I’ll be speaking about blah blah blah)
Pros: 1.5 mins of speaking
Cons: 1.5 mins of speaking
Conclusion 1 min of speaking
Speak slow and take your time
Time goes fast up their
Good luck
Literally the easiest exam I've ever done, spoke for about 3 minutes then answered a few questions which is an extra few minutes and gained a distinction - which I was surprised at seeing as though I slipped up on a statistic when talking about fines, but hey I'm not complaining.

Just try your best to speak as loud and clearly as possible, and to maintain periodic eye contact with individuals in your audience and the teacher. Try to improvise if you slip up on facts, I doubt your teacher is likely to know whether or not those facts are genuine or not.
(edited 5 years ago)
Hey it’ll be fine I promise. In my experience, very few people like public speaking so you and your classmates will all be in the same boat. I did mine on the lack of education on mental health. I can be incredibly awkward, but I still got a distinction! Practising by saying your speech out loud will really help. And for me it helped knowing that it would only last and few minutes and then it would be over. You definitely need to make eye contact with the people you are presenting too, you can try looking at their ear as it still looks like your looking at them but might not feel as direct.

For writing your speech it could help to look up statistics about the subject and think about your personal experiences. You could also talk about why you think people have become too reliant on tech, as well as the disadvantages and advantages of using tech regularly. You don’t need to worry too much about filling up the time as you will also be asked questions (if yours is the same as mine was).

You could speak to your new teacher privately about the difficulties you have when presenting to help her understand how you feel.

Best of luck!
It has 0 impact at all whatsoever on your score for English lit and lang, so even if you turn up and punch the wall for half an hour, your final result for gcse won't be affected. Basically, none of it goes to your final grade, rendering it pointless and a complete waste of ****ing time.
Original post by username4141510

How did it go?

Quick Reply

Latest