The Student Room Group

A-level options – are any of these ‘soft subjects’?

Hi, I am moving schools for sixth form and need to decide my four A-level choices by Monday! :s-smilie:

I need urgent advice from current A-level students, as a wrong choice could ruin my chances of being able to study law in two years.

I need to know, for a legal career, is “RS-Philosophy & Ethics” seen as a softer subject than “history”?

Also, is “economics” seen as softer than “mathematics”?

Even if the subject may not be softer or easier per se, which of the choices looks better on a UCAS application form?

Also one more little question, I’ve heard this rumour but don’t know the legitimacy of if: Maths and Physics at A-level are not appreciated together if the application is not for engineering, as the subjects are so similar and overlap that it is not seen as rigorous as if another subject was done in place of one of those?!?!

Please let me know, I’ve got very little time to make a decision!
Thank you so much. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

economics is seen as a weaker subject than maths yes...

and quite a few of my friends dropped out of economics within about 2 weeks of starting year 12, and replaced it with other subjects.

i'd say maths and physics dont really overlap alot at all... other than the fact that you have to do alot of calculations in physics...
Reply 2
I would say that RS is slightly weaker than History. Also History is amazing!!!!
RS is seen as softer than History, yes. History is on the 'course facilitating' list at Cambridge, at least.

Economics isn't a soft subject, but Maths is also on the Cambridge list, whilst Economics isn't.

In an application for Law, you might be do better to do only one of Maths/Physics and replace it with a different subject like English, or a Language. But you won't be disadvantaged.

:biggrin:
Reply 4
I would say that economics is a softer subject than mathematics also. And, as didgeridoo12uk said, a few people at my sixth form have dropped out of economics.

As for RS-Philosophy and Ethics, I would again say that it's a softer subject than History but am unsure. It's only because I took both at GCSE level and it was always said that RS was merely an extra. Our sixth form doesn't even offer it as an AS course, and only top-set English could take it at GCSE anyway. Also, at a sixth form closeby that does offer the course, apparently it's very light and you concentrate on meditation more than anything! I think History would be a stronger subject here :smile:

I wouldn't really know about Maths and Physics together, but I know people who have taken them - many people infact - and they were not warned against it. They prefer subjects with a similiarity I've heard, rather than those that completely oppose eachother. I was told it with my options, although mine link in with the fact that I want to be a teacher/professor, so all are relevant :smile:

I hope that helps, and I'm sorry if it doesn't.
btw, this is the cambridge list of subjects to take which is considers will help your application.. (this is general and not specific to any particular degree)

Chemistry
English Literature
History
Mathematics
Languages
Physics
(Biology)
(Further Maths)
I would also say that RS-philosophy and ethics is seen to be "softer" than history.

For engineering though everyone I know who has offers in my school all had maths and physics A level. I think both should be studied as there is a lot of practical stuff in physics that mechanics maths does not cover. But doing further maths as well would stand you in even greater stead :smile:
Mmm yeah, I do both Religious Studies and History, and History on balance is probably the less soft subject of the two. Remember, though, the title of your course will be (I believe anyway!) Religious Studies, not Philosophy and Ethics (which can be seen as a bit dossier).

Both are respected subjects though, you should do what you want; if you get an A or B in it, and you're taking other respected subjects, nothing's really going to hinder your application to university (and after that, it won't really matter what you took at A level!).

Hope that helps. :smile:
Economics is seen as softer than Maths, but honestly they're not really comparable. Most people who do Economics also do Maths, you can't really do one instead of the other. Economics or Business Studies is advisory if you want to go into that field, but Maths helps with a lot of things, and is respected for everything.
Reply 9
"Maths, History and Physics" plus another does sound extremely good for an application for pretty much anything.

"Economics and Religious Studies" doesn't quite have the same ring to it.
My friend has been accepted at some pretty good unis (i forget which though) to do law and hes doing A levels in Physics Maths and History.
For Law, Economics would seem more relevant, and it is defo harder than normal Maths, unless you are taking FMaths as well instead of Economics, I would advise to take Economics.

History is definitly better than RE, and it is a very liked subject by universities.

What subjects are you choosing between? That would be more helpful when giving advice
Reply 12
Untitled1

As for RS-Philosophy and Ethics, I would again say that it's a softer subject than History but am unsure. It's only because I took both at GCSE level and it was always said that RS was merely an extra.

That's complete nonsense.

Relgious studies at A-level is NOT RE at GCSE. It's more like the philosophy taught at universities. You know, something that's been taught in educational institutions for 2,500 years. If anyone thinks it's a soft subject they need to actually study it.

I'd say RS and History are about equal. I studied both. They are both very solid arts subjects which teach you how to think and write critically.

It entirely depends on what you want to study at degree-level, so don't take this as gospel, but universities tend to look for courses that are at least 50% theory. If we are going to group then it would look similar to this: -

Group 1 - Maths and the sciences, History, Philosophy/Theology, English Literature.

Group 2 - Politics, Law, economics, English language, Geography, ICT (which could actually even be 3 depending on content)

Group 3 - media studies, business sutides, general studies, health and social care.

I'm possibly being a bit harsh with Geography there. It's a flexible subject being both a science and art. All of the above subjects have their strengths.

If you have an interest in maths and physics I don't seem any harm in taking both. However, unless you are going to go into something like engineering I would agree that it's best to get a good mix of the good art and sciences. Depends entirely on what you are like as a person though and your own academic strengths.

But don't be put off from studying philosophy and ethics at A-level, not by people who have no knowledge of it. It's a fascinating subject, the oldest academic discipline in the world. It's VERY well regarded by universities.

Edit: - As far as RS it depends on its content. I agree that the name "Religious Studies" may seem softer than History but anyone who actually knows what it really is, including univesities, wouldn't really think so. I call my A-level Christian Theology which sounds a lot better. It's the official name of my A-level, even though it wasn't Theology.

Edit no 2: - Sorry, I didn't read in your post that you are looking for a career in Law. Philosophy certainly won't damage your chances there. Manchester offer some good advice on which subjects they prefer fot their law applicants. They give a few subjects they don't accept and a few that are "less preferred".
You'll find that Philosophy/Theology/Religious Studies isn't in either list.

I wish Philosophy would get the recognition it deserves.
River85

Relgious studies at A-level is NOT RE at GCSE. It's more like the philosophy taught at universities. You know, something that's been taught in educational institutions for 2,500 years. If anyone thinks it's a soft subject they need to actually study it.

I'd say RS and History are about equal. I studied both. They are both very solid arts subjects which teach you how to think and write critically.

It entirely depends on what you want to study at degree-level, so don't take this as gospel, but universities tend to look for courses that are at least 50% theory. If we are going to group then it would look similar to this: -

Group 1 - Maths and the sciences, History, Philosophy/Theology, English Literature.

Group 2 - Politics, Law, economics, English language, Geography, ICT (which could actually even be 3 depending on content)

Group 3 - media studies, business sutides, general studies, health and social care.

I'm possibly being a bit harsh with Geography there. It's a flexible subject being both a science and art. All of the above subjects have their strengths.

If you have an interest in maths and physics I don't seem any harm in taking both. However, unless you are going to go into something like engineering I would agree that it's best to get a good mix of the good art and sciences. Depends entirely on what you are like as a person though and your own academic strengths.

But don't be put off from studying philosophy and ethics at A-level, not by people who have no knowledge of it. It's a fascinating subject, the oldest academic discipline in the world. It's VERY well regarded by universities.

How can you put Economics in the same block as ICT and Law?!? Those are not respectable subjects whereas Economics is very respected, and actually harder than most of the subjects you have put in Group 1.
Reply 14
ICT is on most of the "blacklists".
Reply 15
Hi, thank you guys so very much for your replies – they really do help!

In fact, I’ve decided against Economics completely now that so many people regard it as softer than Maths, and I wanted to do one of those two but not both. (I know they’re quite opposing subjects but I’m weird)! So maths is set in now + a foreign language.

Other than that, I’m somewhat worried that for law, English Literature and History are so popular – especially amongst the students applying to Oxbridge. :s-smilie:
I’ve not done history at GCSE and I’m not as good at English lit than another subjects, such as a science. I certainly don’t want to do a subject that’s highly respected only to end up with a D.

All I hope now is that RS (philosophy and ethics) at A-level is as good as history, and a science being either physics or chemistry is enough to get a place for law.

I mean people with 4 As are now being turned down for law, so the subject choices do really matter!

Thanks again.

Edit: Thanks for the reply River85 - you posted it while I was typing my reply.
Shrayans – I’ve decided against Economics but thanks for your advice none the less.
The subjects I’m choosing from are:

Physics, Chemistry, Maths, RS – phil & ethics, French. (Would do English lang/lit if it was really needed - but I much prefer the ones on my list to the left)
Cheers.
Reply 16
River85

You needn't be rude. You quoted only one bit of my post. If you'd have read on, it was supported. I'm saying that, in my area at least, RS is regarded as a soft subject and is both the same as GCSE and A level. In my college it is. Please do not argue against that, because you aren't in my sixth form :smile: The teacher himself has said that for us, it is not worth studying as an AS level, hence why the course isn't offered at AS. And as I say, another school that is highly academic, does meditation in the RS-Philosophy and Ethics course. So please, don't be rude. I know it's a subject you've studied, and you likely have a passion for it, but I'm saying it from my point of view from my college. We were asked what we thought on the matter and so there it is.
Reply 17
How can anyone say Economics is a soft subject it defies belief.
Maths in my opinion is softer as if you have a gift for it you have to put in very little work.
*sigh*... what happened to the day when people picked the subjects they found interesting and felt they'd enjoy?
Gren1TI
Hi, thank you guys so very much for your replies they really do help!

In fact, I’ve decided against Economics completely now that so many people regard it as softer than Maths, and I wanted to do one of those two but not both. (I know they’re quite opposing subjects but I’m weird)! So maths is set in now + a foreign language.

Other than that, I’m somewhat worried that for law, English Literature and History are so popular especially amongst the students applying to Oxbridge. :s-smilie:
I’ve not done history at GCSE and I’m not as good at English lit than another subjects, such as a science. I certainly don’t want to do a subject that’s highly respected only to end up with a D.

All I hope now is that RS (philosophy and ethics) at A-level is as good as history, and a science being either physics or chemistry is enough to get a place for law.

I mean people with 4 As are now being turned down for law, so the subject choices do really matter!

Thanks again.

I wouldn't make that rash decision. For Law I do think that Economics is more relevant then many other subjects which are being suggested. What does Physics have anything to do with Law? At least doing relevant subjects makes more sense. Go to the Cambridge and LSE websites and see where they rank Economics and the other subjects suggested here.

RS is a good subject especially for Law, so that does sound like a good subject.

Latest