Is this the best Computer Science For Games Course in the UK?

Watch
pirilaro
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
https://www.shu.ac.uk/courses/comput...full-time/2018

Looking to go to one next year and want to go on the best one.
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by pirilaro)
https://www.shu.ac.uk/courses/comput...full-time/2018

Looking to go to one next year and want to go on the best one.
The best course is the course that appeals to you the most.
pirilaro
Rep:
?
(Original post by Blue_Cow)
The best course is the course that appeals to you the most.
That isn't entirely true since being in Harvard for example will be the superior option than lets say University of Portsmouth.
Blue_Cow
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
That isn't entirely true since being in Harvard for example will be the superior option than lets say University of Portsmouth.
Do Harvard offer games design?

Bit of a daft comparison when you're talking about a vocational course here
pirilaro
Rep:
?
Do Harvard offer games design?

Bit of a daft comparison when you're talking about a vocational course here
Computer Science for Games (programming) and how is it daft? Someone out of Harvard is going to be more educated due to the high quality teaching than a bottom of the list university or are university lists just for show?
Blue_Cow
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Computer Science for Games (programming) and how is it daft? Someone out of Harvard is going to be more educated due to the high quality teaching than a bottom of the list university or are university lists just for show?
You realise a lot of universities (especially in your case) offers a CS degree that is probably more aligned to vocational study than an academic degree CS degree, yes?

The two are not comparable. If you want to focus more on programming, you'd go to a place like Portsmouth - not Harvard where you'll likely to be subject to a rigorous diet of mathematics and theory of computation rather than hands-on games design...
pirilaro
Rep:
?
You realise a lot of universities (especially in your case) offers a CS degree that is probably more aligned to vocational study than an academic degree CS degree, yes?

The two are not comparable. If you want to focus more on programming, you'd go to a place like Portsmouth - not Harvard where you'll likely to be subject to a rigorous diet of mathematics and theory of computation rather than hands-on games design...
Yes they offer a CS degree but they are not equal, no teacher or university has the same skills which is why there are some that are recognised as the best in the world while others are just average or worse.

Surely you don't think a CS degree from lets say Suffolk is equal to Cambridge?
Blue_Cow
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes they offer a CS degree but they are not equal, no teacher or university has the same skills which is why there are some that are recognised as the best in the world while others are just average or worse.

When did I say a CS degree from Suffolk is equal to Cambridge?

I'm saying the best course is the one that's right for you and the one that appeals to you the most. A CS degree from Suffolk would probably be more suitable for someone who wants a more 'hands-on' approach to their degree i.e. more programming elements to it, compared to an Oxbridge CS degree which is far more mathematical and theoretical - certainly not appropriate or appealing to most people.

I have no idea why you're going on about institutions that are more academic when you want to do a degree that is clearly leaning towards the vocational side of things...
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Game design and productions is extremely different to comp sci. Stop arguing semantics and opinions on benign thoughts trailing harvard vs portsmouth ect. As blue cow has stated about. The best course is one that works best for you. Some places will offer more hands on whilst others are more theory. Depending on the person you can benefit from one more than the other. You also have the location, accommodation, extra curricula and links to studios. Sure there are best rated from various stats but that's not to say some from other unis don't do well/better.

What part of gaming production do you want to get into? Dev? QA? Engine creation?
pirilaro
Rep:
?
When did I say a CS degree from Suffolk is equal to Cambridge?

I'm saying the best course is the one that's right for you and the one that appeals to you the most. A CS degree from Suffolk would probably be more suitable for someone who wants a more 'hands-on' approach to their degree i.e. more programming elements to it, compared to an Oxbridge CS degree which is far more mathematical and theoretical - certainly not appropriate or appealing to most people.
I really do not understand your argument, all I am asking for is in comparison to other courses like this, is this the best course? Is this a hard question to answer?
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

In this case, though, you want the degree to give you some specific skills, for game design- right?

It's unlikely Cambridge will give you those skills, whereas Suffolk might.

It depends if you value going somewhere that you consider "the best" or if you actually want to gain particular skills from your degree.
Blue_Cow
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I really do not understand your argument, all I am asking for is in comparison to other courses like this, is this the best course? Is this a hard question to answer?
You're the one that brought up Harvard and Portsmouth arbitrarily - not me.

You need to look at the modules and see which degree appeals to you the most. With these vocational-oriented CS degree, there isn't really a difference in terms of 'reputation' between the different universities, especially when they're few and far between
pirilaro
Rep:
?
(Original post by 8472)
Game design and productions is extremely different to comp sci. Stop arguing semantics and opinions on benign thoughts trailing harvard vs portsmouth ect. As blue cow has stated about. The best course is one that works best for you. Some places will offer more hands on whilst others are more theory. Depending on the person you can benefit from one more than the other. You also have the location, accommodation, extra curricula and links to studios. Sure there are best rated from various stats but that's not to say some from other unis don't do well/better.

What part of gaming production do you want to get into? Dev? QA? Engine creation?
I don't understand, what is the point of university listings and Oxford and Cambridge being the most sort after universities if it doesn't matter? This is quite confusing, I just want a quality education that isn't a scam.

I want to make games so a game developer.

(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
In this case, though, you want the degree to give you some specific skills, for game design- right?

It's unlikely Cambridge will give you those skills, whereas Suffolk might.

It depends if you value going somewhere that you consider "the best" or if you actually want to gain particular skills from your degree.
I want to be a game developer, I want to make games and design them as well and I just want to be on the best course for that.
pirilaro
Rep:
?
You're the one that brought up Harvard and Portsmouth arbitrarily - not me.

You need to look at the modules and see which degree appeals to you the most. With these vocational-oriented CS degree, there isn't really a difference in terms of 'reputation' between the different universities, especially when they're few and far between
I brought it up because there is an obvious quality difference isn't there? If there weren't then why is Harvard, Oxford etc. internationally known in comparison?

Isn't accreditation the most important here then if I can't rely on university rankings?
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I don't understand, what is the point of university listings and Oxford and Cambridge being the most sort after universities if it doesn't matter? This is quite confusing, I just want a quality education that isn't a scam.

I want to be a game developer, I want to make games and design them as well and I just want to be on the best course for that.
In some fields, going to Oxford and Cambridge would make a huge difference. It's more the case for more traditional fields such as law.

The thing with CS, is different unis will teach you completely different skills. To be a game designer/developer etc, you need one that will teach you a particular set of skills, which won't necessarily be taught at every university. It may be that newer/lower ranked unis will actually fill your needs better.

Instead of looking at uni ranking, look at the actual course content.
Blue_Cow
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I brought it up because there is an obvious quality difference isn't there? If there weren't then why is Harvard, Oxford etc. internationally known in comparison?

Isn't accreditation the most important here then if I can't rely on university rankings?
Refer back to my previous statement about why this shouldn't matter. I've numerous times, no matter how prestigious say a CS degree from Oxford is, if it's games design you want to do, then Portsmouth etc. would be better FOR YOU, otherwise you'd be paying £9.25k to learn about probability and calculus when it's games design you actually want to learn about.

Accreditation shouldn't really matter for a degree that you've chosen imo. You're not going to become a Chartered Engineer with a games design degree and Membership/Fellowship with the BCS isn't very useful so it won't impact your career prospects. Your portfolio and work experience would matter more :borat:
pirilaro
Rep:
?
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
In some fields, going to Oxford and Cambridge would make a huge difference. It's more the case for more traditional fields such as law.

The thing with CS, is different unis will teach you completely different skills. To be a game designer/developer etc, you need one that will teach you a particular set of skills, which won't necessarily be taught at every university. It may be that newer/lower ranked unis will actually fill your needs better.

Instead of looking at uni ranking, look at the actual course content.
I see and because games are new in terms of education there isn't a set standard.

Refer back to my previous statement about why this shouldn't matter. I've numerous times, no matter how prestigious say a CS degree from Oxford is, if it's games design you want to do, then Portsmouth etc. would be better FOR YOU, otherwise you'd be paying £9.25k to learn about probability and calculus when it's games design you actually want to learn about.

Accreditation shouldn't really matter for a degree that you've chosen imo. You're not going to become a Chartered Engineer with a games design degree and Membership/Fellowship with the BCS isn't very useful so it won't impact your career prospects. Your portfolio and work experience would matter more :borat:
I see ok well I want to do both programming and game design, I want to be able to program games, lead a team and also do game design, that is what I want to do, I want to be the best game developer that can program, design games etc.
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I see and because games are new in terms of education there isn't a set standard.

I see ok well I want to do both programming and game design, I want to be able to program games, lead a team and also do game design, that is what I want to do, I want to be the best game developer that can program, design games etc.
It's not so much that there isn't a set standard, it's just that some unis have built a reputation in that field, and they may not be the more traditional unis.
Paranoid_Glitch
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The "best" course as most people have said is dependent on what your preferences are. Game development is a very huge industry with quite a few disciplines and workflow can vary from company to company. Typically, studios will have job titles with strictly defined responsibilities (Like AI programmer) or disciplines that are very broad (Games/Gameplay programmer). Although having job titles like "Tools" programmer, "Graphics Programmer", etc, from what I've heard, a studio like Naughty Dog (The guys who made the Uncharted games and The Last Of Us if you've heard of them) have employees in the programming sector that do a bit of everything from what I've heard (Graphics Programming, Games Programming, Tools Programming, etc).It's very uncommon (They probably are the only studio to do such), but I just wanted to point it out.

A few rankings list Teesside University, Imperial College London, University Of Southampton, Brunel University as having a good reputation in the industry. Don't take my word for it though and probably research it on your own if you haven't already.

In terms of the Harvard thing, very few people who work in the industry have gone to places like Harvard/Oxford/Cambridge from what I understand. From the LinkedIn profiles I've seen, most have received degrees in CS or similar (AI) from universities that most people have never heard of. From what I can tell, very few employees at Rocksteady Games (A UK based game studio. The guys who make the Arkham games) went to generally reputable unis and very few actually went to game schools. I think It wouldn't hurt to go to Harvard/Oxford/Cambridge, but I do want to point out that quite a few have not while still making it big in the industry.

Like all things, take what I say with a grain of salt. I don't work in the industry and hence cannot give expert advice. I'm basing my opinion on the advice I pulled from what I've researched and heard of from people who do work in the industry. Don't make a decision on just what I say. Out of curiosity, why do you want to do a games specific course (I have nothing against it. If you know your priorities go for what you feel inclined to do. when I had the same question, most people I asked advised me against it.).

It's worth noting that studios do generally have job titles like "Gameplay programmer", but I was trying to get across the idea that It can have a very different meaning for some studios.
pirilaro
Rep:
?
(Original post by Paranoid_Glitch)
The "best" course as most people have said is dependent on what your preferences are. Game development is a very huge industry with quite a few disciplines and workflow can vary from company to company. Typically, studios will have job titles with strictly defined responsibilities (Like AI programmer) or disciplines that are very broad (Games/Gameplay programmer). Although having job titles like "Tools" programmer, "Graphics Programmer", etc, from what I've heard, a studio like Naughty Dog (The guys who made the Uncharted games and The Last Of Us if you've heard of them) have employees in the programming sector that do a bit of everything from what I've heard (Graphics Programming, Games Programming, Tools Programming, etc).It's very uncommon (They probably are the only studio to do such), but I just wanted to point it out.

A few rankings list Teesside University, Imperial College London, University Of Southampton, Brunel University as having a good reputation in the industry. Don't take my word for it though and probably research it on your own if you haven't already.

In terms of the Harvard thing, very few people who work in the industry have gone to places like Harvard/Oxford/Cambridge from what I understand. From the LinkedIn profiles I've seen, most have received degrees in CS or similar (AI) from universities that most people have never heard of. From what I can tell, very few employees at Rocksteady Games (A UK based game studio. The guys who make the Arkham games) went to generally reputable unis and very few actually went to game schools. I think It wouldn't hurt to go to Harvard/Oxford/Cambridge, but I do want to point out that quite a few have not.

Like all things, take what I say with a grain of salt. I don't work in the industry and hence cannot give expert advice. I'm basing my opinion on the advice I pulled from what I've researched and heard of from people who do work in the industry. Don't make a decision on just what I say. Out of curiosity, why do you want to do a games specific course (I have nothing against it. If you know your priorities go for what you feel inclined to do, but when I had the same question, most people I asked advised me against it.).

It's worth noting that studios still have job titles like "Gameplay programmer", but I was trying to get across the idea that It can have a very different meaning for some studios.
Ok that sounds good, at least I don't have to worry about going to a particular university to get in the games industry.

It's because I want to be a game developer. I want to do both programming and game design, I want to be able to program games, lead a team and also do game design, that is what I want to do, I want to be the best game developer that can program, design games etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (72)
22.93%
Excited but a bit nervous (141)
44.9%
Not bothered either way (37)
11.78%
I'm really nervous (64)
20.38%

Watched Threads