The Student Room Group

What did everyone that did the new Maths Alevel exam in 2018 get?

So I got A for the Exam and so did all of my friends - I want to hear what other results are around.
Side question: should I still apply to Oxford if I got A (I am retaking next year)? Btw you need A* for Maths for my course (Computer Science).
(edited 5 years ago)
I highly doubt the examiners sat around a table and said "we're going to harshly mark the lot of them, we hate millennials".
Reply 2
Original post by Jackudy3
I highly doubt the examiners sat around a table and said "we're going to harshly mark the lot of them, we hate millennials".

LMAO. I mean fr though so many people that I could swear they would get A*s - they practiced every resource more than once and in classes they got like 90% constantly.
lmaooooo >practicing the resources
what? the C3/C4 papers? The ones that have the repetitive, cram-ready questions with answers at the ready? The papers that have the same questions every year, just with slightly different numbers and, slightly different letters? It's good to practice your knowledge of a technique, but assuming doing well on those correlate to success at the new spec paper is slightly oof, (I mean, you ever wonder why the grade boundaries are absolute ridiculous on the old spec?).

The fact of the matter is these new papers were a complete shock to the system for most people, the questions, I know god forbid, asked you to think through, and take time to answer questions, they weren't always presented in a standard format and you had to use some level of mathematical reasoning to answer it, this is why people suffered, assuming it would be no different than a C3/C4 paper.

Idk, that's just my thoughts, perhaps someone who got A* knows something @have
Original post by GFSBPBE
So I got A for the Exam and so did all of my friends - I want to hear what other results are around. This is to help deny or confirm my thought that perhaps this time around the tests were harshly marked.
Side question: should I still apply to Oxford if I got A (I am retaking next year)? Btw you need A* for Maths for my course (Computer Science).

Is this the full new linear A level?
Reply 5
Original post by Muttley79
Is this the full new linear A level?

Yeah
Original post by GFSBPBE
Yeah

Edexcel gave 30% A* grades in the new spec far more than in the old ...
Reply 7
Original post by GFSBPBE
So I got A for the Exam and so did all of my friends - I want to hear what other results are around. This is to help deny or confirm my thought that perhaps this time around the tests were harshly marked.

I don't know what you mean by harshly marked. The grade boundaries were like 76% for an A*. That's literally unheard of in the old spec. Sure they were harder papers. But it's not like the questions were either a) impossible, b) covering content not on the spec c) requiring exceptional ingenuity.
I concede that they were hard, but really if you understood all the content, an A* is very achievable.
Your peers probably banged through all the resources crammed in the question styles from the old-spec papers, and didn't do well because the new-spec actually required them to understand content and not just regurgitate memorised techniques

Quick Reply

Latest