Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    any advice on a-level edexel biology? my school uses this exam board and im not sure whether to choose it at sixth form
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by gracebwr)
    any advice on a-level edexel biology? my school uses this exam board and im not sure whether to choose it at sixth form
    There's not a huge difference between the exam boards, either in course content or assessment style.

Do you have particular concerns about edexcel?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SarcAndSpark)
    There's not a huge difference between the exam boards, either in course content or assessment style.

Do you have particular concerns about edexcel?
    no no not about edexel particularly, just what the course is like
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    no no not about edexel particularly, just what the course is like
    Biology is quite a content heavy course- there's a lot of facts you will have to learn and learn how to apply. The new A-level is a bit more mathsy, but nothing too tricky if you have passed GCSE maths.

What aspects of biology do you find interesting?

The course is quite varied, you do everything from ecology to physiology to genetics to molecular biology.

ReputationRep:
    Biology is quite a content heavy course- there's a lot of facts you will have to learn and learn how to apply. The new A-level is a bit more mathsy, but nothing too tricky if you have passed GCSE maths.

What aspects of biology do you find interesting?

The course is quite varied, you do everything from ecology to physiology to genetics to molecular biology.
    I find human biology the most interesting, as well as the topic of lifestyle and health. I don't really enjoy the plant side of biology aspect however that was at GCSE. Is edexcel biology quite chemistry influenced? I find chemistry quite difficult so this is annother thing that worries me.
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    I find human biology the most interesting, as well as the topic of lifestyle and health. I don't really enjoy the plant side of biology aspect however that was at GCSE. Is edexcel biology quite chemistry influenced? I find chemistry quite difficult so this is annother thing that worries me.
    There is some chemistry involved, you have to learn about respiration and photosynthesis on the chemical level at A2, which a lot of students find challenging.

There's not too much solely plant based stuff at A-level, often it comes up in a mixed section e.g. with cellular biology, you will learn about animal and plant cells, you'll learn about plant transport systems alongside animal ones, and so on.

There is some health content, but it's mostly in the form of applying what you have learned to a health condition- probably not as much lifestyle and health stuff as at GCSE.

Have you looked at the syllabus at all?

Do you know what you want to do after A-levels?

ReputationRep:
    There is some chemistry involved, you have to learn about respiration and photosynthesis on the chemical level at A2, which a lot of students find challenging.

There's not too much solely plant based stuff at A-level, often it comes up in a mixed section e.g. with cellular biology, you will learn about animal and plant cells, you'll learn about plant transport systems alongside animal ones, and so on.

There is some health content, but it's mostly in the form of applying what you have learned to a health condition- probably not as much lifestyle and health stuff as at GCSE.

Have you looked at the syllabus at all?

Do you know what you want to do after A-levels?
    That sounds okay. And yes I had a look at edexcel's specification, and I have heard that answering exam questions has to be quite to the point. After A-Levels, I have been looking into Speech and Langage Therapy, apparently you're probably best doing Biology for this? However the degree has to be specifically S&L therapy, so its not definite yet
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    That sounds okay. And yes I had a look at edexcel's specification, and I have heard that answering exam questions has to be quite to the point. After A-Levels, I have been looking into Speech and Langage Therapy, apparently you're probably best doing Biology for this? However the degree has to be specifically S&L therapy, so its not definite yet
    BurstingBubbles Is a speech therapist, so she may be able to advise.

For exam questions, you do have to use the right language, but I'm sure your teacher will help you with this

ReputationRep:
    BurstingBubbles Is a speech therapist, so she may be able to advise.

For exam questions, you do have to use the right language, but I'm sure your teacher will help you with this
    cool! Thank you for your advice it's been super helpful
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Hey

I'm a speech therapist and studied Biology at A level. I think it did help with some of the content on the course, and some unis require AS Biology (I think Newcastle did when I applied anyway), but it's not essential

Let me know if you have any further questions about Speech and Language therapy, feel free to PM me
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BurstingBubbles)
    Hey

I'm a speech therapist and studied Biology at A level. I think it did help with some of the content on the course, and some unis require AS Biology (I think Newcastle did when I applied anyway), but it's not essential

Let me know if you have any further questions about Speech and Language therapy, feel free to PM me
    Thank you!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 22, 2018

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.