The Student Room Group

Biggest University Predicament Ever... (All help needed!)

I have the biggest predicament ever...

I recently got my A-Level results and I received a huge shock...

Yes, I didn't get into my firm university LSE, I didnt get into my insurance and I quite frankly shocked myself with how **** my grades were (to my standard).

Initially, I said I 100% wanted to resit my exams, but with some convincing I am now 50/50 about what I want to do. I entered clearing, as suggested by my older sister, receiving a few offers from some decent universities, and this is exactly where my predicament lies...

I have always had an interest in Economics, as it give me a global perspective and allows me to be able to use mathematics to solve problems. I have an interest in Business, but I never studied it at A Level, or applied for a Management course as I was advised that I might have stronger career options with an Economics degree and it is more mathematical. So yes my problem...

I have been offered the following courses at the following universities:

University of Aberdeen - Economics

University of Strathclyde - Economics (or Management)

University of Essex - Economics

University of Newcastle *London Campus* - International Business and Management

Heriot-Watt University - Economics

University of East Anglia - Business Management

I have never been so confused about what decision to make in my life, and I really want to study at a university with the most credibility and will give me competitive job prospects (against other top unis). I have no clue which of these universities offer these things, a professor from Sheffield University advised me to look at Essex, then maybe Strathclyde. However others have told me Aberdeen is the best.

Hence, it only makes sense to ask for help from the omniscient TSR community, all help is appreciated guys, I do understand that the final decision is mine, but you're advice could change my life. Thank you!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Truthfully, if you have an interest in economics then it seems like the logical degree. Don't take a course because of 'career prospects' or enployibility.

I obviously can't tell you what to do but personally of your clearing options Essex seems like the best bet. However, there is no rush. If you feel like these grades are not to your standard and you want to aspire to a higher university then I would recommend retaking. The degree you take is not that significant compared to where you get it from. I.e a 2.1 from LSE will be much more favourable than a first from Aberdeen.

GL
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by B4sh

Yes, I didn't get into my firm university LSE, I didnt get into my insurance and I quite frankly shocked myself with how **** my grades were (to my standard).

Initially, I said I 100% wanted to resit my exams, but with some convincing I am now 50/50 about what I want to do. I entered clearing, as suggested by my older sister, receiving a few offers from some decent universities, and this is exactly where my predicament lies...

I have always had an interest in Economics, as it give me a global perspective and allows me to be able to use mathematics to solve problems. I have an interest in Business, but I never studied it at A Level, or applied for a Management course as I was advised that I might have stronger career options with an Economics degree and it is more mathematical. So yes my problem...

I have never been so confused about what decision to make in my life, and I really want to study at a university with the most credibility and will give me competitive job prospects (against other top unis). I have no clue which of these universities offer these things, a professor from Sheffield University advised me to look at Essex, then maybe Strathclyde. However others have told me Aberdeen is the best.

Hence, it only makes sense to ask for help from the omniscient TSR community, all help is appreciated guys, I do understand that the final decision is mine, but you're advice could change my life. Thank you!

What grades did you get and which subjects? Are you able to take a year out?
how did you get such good courses through clearing? not even one from London South Bank Uni??
Reply 4
Original post by Gus_4
Truthfully, if you have an interest in economics then it seems like the logical degree. Don't take a course because of 'career prospects' or enployibility.

I obviously can't tell you what to do but personally of your clearing options Essex seems like the best bet. However, there is no rush. If you feel like these grades are not to your standard and you want to aspire to a higher university then I would recommend retaking. The degree you take is not that significant compared to where you get it from. I.e a 2.1 from LSE will be much more favourable than a first from Aberdeen.

GL

Yeah this was always my frame of thought, however I genuinely do not know where I went wrong with my exams, I was doing well in all mock examinations prior to the actual exams, so I guess that is the huggest fear in terms of resitting
Reply 5
Original post by ajj2000
What grades did you get and which subjects? Are you able to take a year out?

BBC, Might not sound bad, but was a huge shock, I thought I had AAA minimum.

B in Economics, B in Maths, C in Physics
Reply 6
Original post by CollectiveSoul
how did you get such good courses through clearing? not even one from London South Bank Uni??

Oh, I did get the expected calls from Brunel, Kingston and St Mary's Twickenham, however, we both know these are not options :/
Reply 7
Original post by B4sh
BBC, Might not sound bad, but was a huge shock, I thought I had AAA minimum.

B in Economics, B in Maths, C in Physics

Not too bad. Did others in your A level classes expecting higher grades get similar results? Any remarks pending?
Original post by B4sh
Oh, I did get the expected calls from Brunel, Kingston and St Mary's Twickenham, however, we both know these are not options :/

They called you???
Reply 9
Original post by ageshallnot
They called you???

Yep, somehow knew I was in clearinh
Reply 10
Original post by ajj2000
Not too bad. Did others in your A level classes expecting higher grades get similar results? Any remarks pending?

Yeah remarks pending, may go to an ABB, but I’m really stuck on what to do at the moment
Original post by B4sh

Hi there,

I know that this decision is very difficult, and unfortunately decisions have to be made very quickly in clearing. Firstly can i say well done on the offers you have received...

Obviously I can't comment on the other universities however I thought I'd jump on here just in case I can be of any help with regards to HWU. I don't know if league tables are your thing but we were actually ranked 3rd in the UK for Economics in the Guardian league tables last year and 8th this year so we consistently do well and bat well above our weight! Personally I always take league tables with a pinch of salt as I think the location of the University is important. I think you have to be happy with where you are going to be living for the next few years. Obviously I am biased but i truly believe Edinburgh is one of the best cities in the world and students have an amazing time here in the city.

I hope this has helped, good luck with your decisions, if you have any questions just let me know :smile:

Cheers,
Keir
(edited 5 years ago)
A distinct advantage of Scottish universities over those in England is the structure of the degree. In the first two (of four) years you take the required modules for the degree you intend to pursue, but you also take modules in outside subjects. What this does is allow you to change your intended degree part way through your studies if you discover that you aren't enjoying, or doing well, at the subject you thought you wanted to do, or if you discover that your passion really lies in one of your other subjects. Now, this ability to change degree is dependent on you having taken the required modules in the first two years, but you will have an academic adviser to guide you through that process. Just something to think about.
Reply 13
Original post by User8612
A distinct advantage of Scottish universities over those in England is the structure of the degree. In the first two (of four) years you take the required modules for the degree you intend to pursue, but you also take modules in outside subjects. What this does is allow you to change your intended degree part way through your studies if you discover that you aren't enjoying, or doing well, at the subject you thought you wanted to do, or if you discover that your passion really lies in one of your other subjects. Now, this ability to change degree is dependent on you having taken the required modules in the first two years, but you will have an academic adviser to guide you through that process. Just something to think about.

It also costs an extra year of tuition and maintenance, assuming you aren't Scottish/EU...

Posted from TSR Mobile
We offer a foundation bursary if you start in Year 1, which means students pay the same tuition fees as they would over a three year degree.

Original post by Doonesbury
It also costs an extra year of tuition and maintenance, assuming you aren't Scottish/EU...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by B4sh

The way I'm seeing this, you currently have two predicaments not just one. If you are so certain in your abilities, then you could wait for a year, structure your studying schedule better and attempt going to your initial choices. That's valid only if you are sure you'll bumping everything up. Because if let's say you end up getting AAB or ABB it still is a positive change but possibly not enough to get you where you want. So I'd say don't stop chasing your dream.

Now, if you think you're not able to cope with one more year doing A-levels then I should point out that for a Business degree you absolutely don't need to have studies business or management previously an any level. To give you an insight, I finished an Engineering degree at a university which has close contacts with the engineering industry but also the business sector. So, they structured the E&E, Bio and AeroMech engineering degrees to cover the Year 1 syllabus of a typical, high-end business school in just 1 module! Most of us had similar backgrounds as you, Maths and 1/2 sciences but no business whatsoever and somehow, we made it through! So don't be afraid.

It's entirely up to you, but if you wanna go through clearing all the way, then Newcastle seems the better option due to a relatively good ranking and the London location which is key when it comes to business. My advice however would be not to chose based on that but do some searching on your own. See what the professors in each uni have achieved, publications, have a look at each student's union, etc.
Original post by B4sh
Yep, somehow knew I was in clearinh

@PQ Are unis allowed to contact students in clearing?
They called you???

@PQ Are unis allowed to contact students in clearing?

If a student has signed up to their Direct Contact Service https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/results-confirmation-and-clearing/direct-contact-service then yes. UCAS will provide universities with lists of students in clearing matching their desired profile and will then charge them an extra premium if any of those students accept an offer with that university.
Reply 18
Original post by Heriot-Watt University
We offer a foundation bursary if you start in Year 1, which means students pay the same tuition fees as they would over a three year degree.

Nice one, although I see it's only £1500 towards maintenance but certainly worth consideration.
https://www.hw.ac.uk/study/scholarships/heriot-watt-foundation-bursary.htm
Original post by PQ
If a student has signed up to their Direct Contact Service https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/results-confirmation-and-clearing/direct-contact-service then yes. UCAS will provide universities with lists of students in clearing matching their desired profile and will then charge them an extra premium if any of those students accept an offer with that university.

A new fact learned!

Quick Reply

Latest