STEP Prep Thread 2019 Watch

Zacken
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by Narjoyvt)
Hey guys, just a quick question. When the folks responsible for STEP say that the exam is done in the morning, what time do they exactly mean (in British time)? Because I am worried that my STEP papers will clash with my A2 exams.
It’s usually 9AM, but there is a protocol for handling clashing exams, so there’s no need for undue worry.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
RuneFreeze
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Zacken)
It’s usually 9AM, but there is a protocol for handling clashing exams, so there’s no need for undue worry.
This is excellent I perform so much better in the morning when I'm awake and can concentrate properly
_gcx
  • Study Forum Helper
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Think2ice)
Probably the only student that does media and is also taking a STEP Exam
Perhaps but hey if you enjoy it and it's an easy grade for you.
etothepiiplusone
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by RuneFreeze)
This is excellent I perform so much better in the morning when I'm awake and can concentrate properly
Haha, I'd be the opposite - most of the practise STEP I and II papers I've done thus far have been between 7-10pm or later
username3720230
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by etothepiiplusone)
Haha, I'd be the opposite - most of the practise STEP I and II papers I've done thus far have been between 7-10pm or later
just ruin ur sleep schedule enough to where 9am feels like 7pm
TheTroll73
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
good luck to all that will take STEP exams this year
Drogo Baggins
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
There is now a "mapping document" available on the STEP support programme website, you can find it here. As always, let me know of any errors!
Rohan77642
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
This is not a step question, but is similar to a question asked in Q5 STEP 1 2010.
I was looking at binomial identities and found this on Wikipedia.
Anyone got any proof for this? Or if anyone is bored, you might wanna try this question cause it looks interesting.
Attached files
DFranklin
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Rohan77642)
This is not a step question, but is similar to a question asked in Q5 STEP 1 2010.
I was looking at binomial identities and found this on Wikipedia.
Anyone got any proof for this? Or if anyone is bored, you might wanna try this question cause it looks interesting.
I think this is hard. I think you *have* to know DeMoivre and complex roots of unity at a minimum to progress with this.

Sketch of approach:

Spoiler:
Show

Define
S0 = nC0 + nC3 + nC6 + ...,
S1 = nC1 + nC4 + nC7 + ...,
S2 = nC2 + nC5 + nC8 + ...

and let w = (-1 + i \sqrt{3})/2 be a complex cube root of unity. Note w^2= (-1 - i \sqrt{3})/2, so Re(w) = Re(w^2) = -1/2, and Im(w) = -Im(w^2).

We know S0+S1+S2 = (1+1)^n = 2^n

We can find an expression for (1+w)^n of the form R^n (\cos n \theta + i \sin n\theta) by DeMoivre.

But (1+w)^n = 1 + nC1 w + nC2 w^2 + nC3 + nC4 w + ...
= S0 + S1 w + S2 w^2

equating the real and imaginary parts gives us 2 linear equations involving S0, S1, and S2, while
S0+S1+S2 = 2^n gives us a 3rd linear equation.

Solving for S0, S1 anf S2 should give the desired result. ].

Rohan77642
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by DFranklin)
I think this is hard. I think you *have* to know DeMoivre and complex roots of unity at a minimum to progress with this.

Sketch of approach:

Spoiler:
Show

Define
S0 = nC0 + nC3 + nC6 + ...,
S1 = nC1 + nC4 + nC7 + ...,
S2 = nC2 + nC5 + nC8 + ...

and let w = (-1 + i \sqrt{3})/2 be a complex cube root of unity. Note w^2= (-1 - i \sqrt{3})/2, so Re(w) = Re(w^2) = -1/2, and Im(w) = -Im(w^2).

We know S0+S1+S2 = (1+1)^n = 2^n

We can find an expression for (1+w)^n of the form R^n (\cos n \theta + i \sin n\theta) by DeMoivre.

But (1+w)^n = 1 + nC1 w + nC2 w^2 + nC3 + nC4 w + ...
= S0 + S1 w + S2 w^2

equating the real and imaginary parts gives us 2 linear equations involving S0, S1, and S2, while
S0+S1+S2 = 2^n gives us a 3rd linear equation.

Solving for S0, S1 anf S2 should give the desired result. ].

Wow. Where did you get the intuition that complex numbers are involved in this, if you dont mind me asking ?
DFranklin
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Wow. Where did you get the intuition that complex numbers are involved in this, if you dont mind me asking ?
TBH, that's pretty obvious to anyone who's done a fair bit of series summing; you're going to want something whose powers repeat every 3 goes and that basically says "cube root of unity". And the form of the RHS is going to be fairly familar as well (at least in the sense that "there's a 'cos' term, so it's probably going to involve DeMoivre").

But even knowing "it will involve a cube root of unity", it took me quite a while to find a plausible approach though.
Rohan77642
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by DFranklin)
TBH, that's pretty obvious to anyone who's done a fair bit of series summing; you're going to want something whose powers repeat every 3 goes and that basically says "cube root of unity". And the form of the RHS is going to be fairly familar as well (at least in the sense that "there's a 'cos' term, so it's probably going to involve DeMoivre".

But even knowing "it will involve a cube root of unity", it took me quite a while to find a plausible approach though.
Thank you. I will try and understand the solution you wrote now.
I hate maths
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
DFranklin
Rohan77642

Look at STEP I question 2 1990.

have
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by I hate maths)
DFranklin
Rohan77642

Look at STEP I question 2 1990.

That's a nice question. I think that's the first complex number STEP Question that I've done (cos I've stuck to the new spec and haven't touched STEP III).
I wouldn't mind more Without using a calculator, calculate... questions
I hate maths
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by have)
That's a nice question. I think that's the first complex number STEP Question that I've done (cos I've stuck to the new spec and haven't touched STEP III).
I wouldn't mind more Without using a calculator, calculate... questions
You'll really like this one then.
Spoiler:
Show

have
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by I hate maths)
You'll really like this one then.
Spoiler:
Show

I'm.good thanks
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Rohan77642
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
For step 1 2005 question 12, part b
I used the correct method that the mark scheme used but they seem to be using the values of 0.6, 0.7 and 0.3 whereas in the question it is given values of 0.7, 0.4 and 0.8. I don't understand where they are getting these values from?
I have attached the question and the mark scheme below.
username3720230
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
For step 1 2005 question 12, part b
I used the correct method that the mark scheme used but they seem to be using the values of 0.6, 0.7 and 0.3 whereas in the question it is given values of 0.7, 0.4 and 0.8. I don't understand where they are getting these values from?
I have attached the question and the mark scheme below.
I attached an attempt at a venn diagram. But the reason it's 0.6, 0.7 and 0.3 and not the other values is because:
P(wizard wears only hat)=P(wizard wears a hat)-P(wizard wears a hat and a cloak)-P(wizard wears a hat and a ring)-P(wizard wears a hat and a ring and a cloak)=0.7-x-y-0.1=0.6-x-y
The other two results can be obtained in the same way. So the 0.1 difference comes from P(wizard wears a hat and a ring and a cloak) which is the very middle section of the venn diagram
Rohan77642
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by sameactuallylol)
I attached an attempt at a venn diagram. But the reason it's 0.6, 0.7 and 0.3 and not the other values is because:
P(wizard wears only hat)=P(wizard wears a hat)-P(wizard wears a hat and a cloak)-P(wizard wears a hat and a ring)-P(wizard wears a hat and a ring and a cloak)=0.7-x-y-0.1=0.6-x-y
The other two results can be obtained in the same way. So the 0.1 difference comes from P(wizard wears a hat and a ring and a cloak) which is the very middle section of the venn diagram
Thanks!
Rohan77642
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
For STEP 3 2009, I did the part 7 ii proof without induction. Would I be awarded full marks?
What I basically did was I found out the derivative of Pn(x) and then rearranged the given formula to show that it equal 0.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Art and Design Foundation Diploma Further education
    Sat, 25 May '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (237)
30.19%
The paper was reasonable (315)
40.13%
Not feeling great about that exam... (134)
17.07%
It was TERRIBLE (99)
12.61%

Watched Threads