The Student Room Group

Arachnophobia Universiy fears Advice

So I am in a very awkward position, I noticed a large spider on the wall, froze and realized "Oh s**t i'm scared of spiders" it's not that I forgot that I am scared but started to think what will I do at university If I get one in my room? (little ones are fine btw).
I know this is pathetic (18 still scared of spiders which don't hurt people) and clearly I can't ask the people in my halls or god forbid the porter.
Any advice?

Side Note: I have already heard and tried the "Just go up to it spiders won't hurt you" I just can't do It. The only way I can describe the feeling is a weight in my chest and tightening.
Reply 1
I can't offer any help with the fear itself... no advice from a forum is going to do much to a severe phobia. Therapy can help, as professionals know the right methods and so on.

But, spiders tend to stick close to walls when they move around. Put one of these traps against the skirting board on each wall, and any unwanted visitors will most likely be caught before they can make themselves known 'in the open'. Should cut the anxiety a bit.
Original post by therandomperson
So I am in a very awkward position, I noticed a large spider on the wall, froze and realized "Oh s**t i'm scared of spiders" it's not that I forgot that I am scared but started to think what will I do at university If I get one in my room? (little ones are fine btw).
I know this is pathetic (18 still scared of spiders which don't hurt people) and clearly I can't ask the people in my halls or god forbid the porter.
Any advice?

Side Note: I have already heard and tried the "Just go up to it spiders won't hurt you" I just can't do It. The only way I can describe the feeling is a weight in my chest and tightening.

Hi!

I'm pretty sure if you ask the security team or another one of your flatmates if they can remove this for you - if you explain the situation when you move in i'm sure this wont be a problem!
Original post by therandomperson
Any advice?

https://metro.co.uk/2018/06/04/student-ordered-takeaway-just-get-delivery-driver-remove-spider-7602663/

(or just get a hoover with a long hose)
Reply 4
ask the management of the halls, they should be able to sort you out

used to live in a shared accommodation a couple of years back, found a new spider every week or so and for some reason they became bigger each time too.. got so used to removing them, it became a habit haha
Chances are one or more of your flatmates won't mind moving the occasional spider, don't worry.
Ask your flatmates or hoover it up.

Here's a tip, stay away from accommodation that is in a field! When I moved into my house last year it was me and 40 spiders living in it (I also have a fear of spiders!) I managed to bribe someone with Dominos to remove them for me
You guys who are seriously suggesting the OP call accommodation staff to remove the spider... Seriously...?:biggrin: They have MUCH more important things to be doing.

Ask one of your flatmates. I'm sure 9/10 of them would be happy enough to help (assuming they aren't scared either) or use the provided hoover to suck it up. :P

If one of my housemates asked me to help, we'd laugh it off and get rid of it.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest