The Student Room Group

I haven’t done my personal statement for medicine yet

I am framing out , I haven’t started my PS for med 2019. I don’t know how to do it , and always procrastinate when I decide to do it. Is it too late?

Does anyone have any tips on how to go about it, I’m the first student in my school to apply for med since 2000.
Freaking * autocorrect
bruh same it's such a daunting task but you just gotta start ygm. Forcing yourself to actually begin is the hardest part. Look online for examples/guides about how to write a medicine-centred PS and i'm sure there's people and resources on here that can help

edit: found one https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/personal-statements/medicine/medicine-personal-statements
(edited 5 years ago)
tbh neither have i the school have been telling me that I cant apply as my predicted is too low (AS: BBC) my school do tend to be overly harsh when it comes to predictions and stuff., I know that I am capable of getting the grades required. So yeah I haven't done my PS either my mum wants me to apply to uclan in the hopes i get predicted AAB and can apply to lancashire. In bit of a conundrum at the moment
Heya, popped this in Medicine for you - lots of helpful people here but in the meantime...

There's an article on writing a medicine PS here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/personal-statements/medicine/advice-for-people-writing-their-medicine-personal

And some examples here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/personal-statements/medicine/medicine-personal-statements
best things when it comes to personal statement is to always be yourself they being admissions people, will know when a PS has easily been influenced by other people, its important when you write PS for medicine that it comes from the heart and that you show that you're passionate about it, I started mine of with 'medicine is the epitome of healing and the art of..'' it's good to make your intro really catchy so that they will want to read the rest of it, i tried to display humor throughout mine in the hopes that my comic attitude will kinda make me stand out lol. Don't include cliches in your PS for example 'ever since my grandad died when I was 5 I had the desire to become a doctor so I could help other people..' Admissions people hear that everyday, according to my form tutor. Start with something interesting search up an interesting fact about the human body and include that in. Also another tip I've been told is to start your PS in the middle or first have a bullet point of any extra curricular activities you've done and just explain what skills you've developed, once you finished writing your middle section i've heard it's much easier to then write about your intro.
(edited 5 years ago)
Thank you guys but it’s not too late right???
Original post by PopsicleCharms
Thank you guys but it’s not too late right???

Well.. the deadline isn't until October right, so you still have time? :beard: Do you know where you're applying?
it's not too late but get started soon.
Really isn't that bad. I started doing mine 2-3 weeks before the deadline
I’m in the same boat, I really need to start my personal statement for law
I’m not starting until after my UKCAT next Wednesday - but I’ll still have over a month. You’ll be fine but try and start soon
Original post by PopsicleCharms
I am framing out , I haven’t started my PS for med 2019. I don’t know how to do it , and always procrastinate when I decide to do it. Is it too late?

Does anyone have any tips on how to go about it, I’m the first student in my school to apply for med since 2000.

Having more time on it is definitely better, but I started mine 2 weeks before my school's deadline and I'm off to my firm for med in October lol.

As long as you've got records kept of all your experience etc. so you can just write up ideas you've already had before it's chill, that's what I did anyway.

Have a look at some examples (don't plagiarize obvs) to get an idea of format, style etc. and then start drafting. Depending on where you're applying, a massive chunk of it should be about experience and volunteering (I'd say roughly 2/3 of it).

Hope that helps! If you have any more questions that the perspective of a student might be helpful for just hmu.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending