The Student Room Group

Need to send money from UK to USA quickly - help?

I’m buying something from a friend in the USA.
It’s nothing weird, but I’m 17 so can’t use PayPal and I can’t open a joint account with my parents because they don’t trust any of the money transfer sites and would question me about the account constantly.

So, any alternatives for under 18s?

We were thinking maybe I could buy a gift card and they could just use that. Can I buy gift cards online that they can use without having to physically receive it, where I would just have to send them a pic of a card/any codes?
Original post by ghostiecat
I’m buying something from a friend in the USA.
It’s nothing weird, but I’m 17 so can’t use PayPal and I can’t open a joint account with my parents because they don’t trust any of the money transfer sites and would question me about the account constantly.

So, any alternatives for under 18s?

We were thinking maybe I could buy a gift card and they could just use that. Can I buy gift cards online that they can use without having to physically receive it, where I would just have to send them a pic of a card/any codes?

Don’t you have any older friends?? In the uk
Reply 2
Original post by Shish_bish
Don’t you have any older friends?? In the uk

Thanks for the suggestion :smile:
I do, but the person who will be receiving the money is also under 18 + doesn’t want to use PayPal. I’ll look into this option more though.
Reply 3
Any other alternatives and suggestions still appreciated!
I want to know all my options
Use Paypal anyways, I've used it since I was 13 and I've never had any problems with it
Original post by ghostiecat
Any other alternatives and suggestions still appreciated!
I want to know all my options

Do they have a passport?
Do you have an older sibling?
I assume the money amount is low?
Would they accept Amazon cards?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending