Can I get accepted to uni without a C/4 in GCSE Maths?

Watch
LunaMoonxzx
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I have a BTEC Level 3 in Business (D*D*D*), but the uni will not make a decision until they get my gcse results for Maths...

When I got my results last year and spoke to a Maths teacher, apparently I was close to a C but not as close as a few marks so they didn't let me re take it in November or get a remark.

I had to take the new GCSE Maths this time and had a teacher who didn't enjoy his job, he would argue with students every lesson. Anyways, I tried my best in class and spoke to the teacher and found out about Maths Genie which I used as part of my revision.
When I did past papers, at first I did bad, then I started to do better so I felt like I was going to pass but when it got to the actual exams, I felt like I did really bad.

I want to prepare myself for tomorrow, so if I don't pass what options are there for me? What should I do? Can I retake Maths during uni? Can I get into a foundation year? or would I have to go back to college to take GCSE Maths again?
Charlotte's Web
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by LunaMoonxzx)
I have a BTEC Level 3 in Business (D*D*D*), but the uni will not make a decision until they get my gcse results for Maths...

When I got my results last year and spoke to a Maths teacher, apparently I was close to a C but not as close as a few marks so they didn't let me re take it in November or get a remark.

I had to take the new GCSE Maths this time and had a teacher who didn't enjoy his job, he would argue with students every lesson. Anyways, I tried my best in class and spoke to the teacher and found out about Maths Genie which I used as part of my revision.
When I did past papers, at first I did bad, then I started to do better so I felt like I was going to pass but when it got to the actual exams, I felt like I did really bad.

I want to prepare myself for tomorrow, so if I don't pass what options are there for me? What should I do? Can I retake Maths during uni? Can I get into a foundation year? or would I have to go back to college to take GCSE Maths again?
If you fail to meet the conditions of your offer, the university is within their rights to withdraw your offer. They may or may not consider you as a 'near-miss' candidate, depending on their admissions policy, but generally GCSE requirements are strict.
LunaMoonxzx
Rep:
?
(Original post by Charlotte's Web)
If you fail to meet the conditions of your offer, the university is within their rights to withdraw your offer. They may or may not consider you as a 'near-miss' candidate, depending on their admissions policy, but generally GCSE requirements are strict.
Thank you for the reply.
Would they not consider taking me into Foundation year either?
Charlotte's Web
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thank you for the reply.
Would they not consider taking me into Foundation year either?
They may do, but that would be entirely at their discretion. Generally foundation degrees would be more suitable if you missed your college grades, than if you miss your GCSE, as they wouldn't be teaching you GCSE level maths during the foundation year. The GCSE requirements are generally very strict.
LunaMoonxzx
Rep:
?
(Original post by Charlotte's Web)
They may do, but that would be entirely at their discretion. Generally foundation degrees would be more suitable if you missed your college grades, than if you miss your GCSE, as they wouldn't be teaching you GCSE level maths during the foundation year. The GCSE requirements are generally very strict.
Oh..I understand now. I didn't think of that, I forgot that they wouldn't teach that.
Could there be a way to take foundation year and then also take a GCSE Maths course if they offer it at the university or at a local college like evening classes?
Charlotte's Web
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Oh..I understand now. I didn't think of that, I forgot that they wouldn't teach that.
Could there be a way to take foundation year and then also take a GCSE Maths course if they offer it at the university or at a local college like evening classes?
They won't offer GCSEs at the university. You might be able to take it alongside the foundation year, but that would rely on them accepting you to the foundation year without the GCSE.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (64)
14.78%
I'm not sure (16)
3.7%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (146)
33.72%
I have already dropped out (7)
1.62%
I'm not a current university student (200)
46.19%

Watched Threads