Ginge999
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi there,

I'm a student starting my first year at RHUL in September. I'm going to be studying Psychology and staying at Hox Park.

I suffer quite a lot with my mental health- specifically with depression and anxiety.

I was wondering if anyone has an experience of getting emotional support at the uni? Is it a good quality and easy to access? Also does anyone have any idea of how they respond to crisis situations?

It would be really nice to know if anyone else is a bit like me as I'm a bit worried about fitting in and making friends once I get to uni. is the any support groups or groups that meet up who suffer with their mental health?

Also is anyone else a first year who is staying at Hox Park?

Thanks
Royal Holloway, University of London
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Ginge999)
Hi there,

I'm a student starting my first year at RHUL in September. I'm going to be studying Psychology and staying at Hox Park.

I suffer quite a lot with my mental health- specifically with depression and anxiety.

I was wondering if anyone has an experience of getting emotional support at the uni? Is it a good quality and easy to access? Also does anyone have any idea of how they respond to crisis situations?

It would be really nice to know if anyone else is a bit like me as I'm a bit worried about fitting in and making friends once I get to uni. is the any support groups or groups that meet up who suffer with their mental health?

Also is anyone else a first year who is staying at Hox Park?

Thanks
Hi Ginge999,

We can't wait to have you join us in September!

If you'd like to get in touch with a member of our Counselling team before arriving in September, you are more than welcome to email them at [email protected] at any time. You can find out about the services they offer on our website here.

We also have our Disabilities and Dyslexia Services team who are there to help you. You can get in touch with them at [email protected].

I hope this helps, but please let me know if you have any other questions.

Susana
ICEN_Prophet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey, there is a student well-being team always ready to help.

I have actually visited them recently with some of my own worries. Even though it is still summer holiday, I was able to book an appointment for the next day and found it to be helpful and mind opening.

Didn't cost me anything and was definitely worth a shot!
Anonymous #1
Report 4 weeks ago
I actually did my BA and MA at Royal Holloway, and am now doing my Doctorate there. I also suffer from quite crippling mental health issues and have found the support to be fantastic. The Student Disabilities and Dyslexia dept are good at making sure you can access all your resources on bad days, but I found my department to be incredibly helpful and understanding. I found that being quite transparent about my struggles with my teachers helped a lot, because I could be honest when I was struggling. Pretending that everything is fine is pretty difficult when you're studying at this level.
Good luck x
Maplebee92
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Register with the Disabilities and Dyslexia Services as soon as possible - they will only help you if you have a medical diagnosis.

DO NOT register with the Health Centre at Royal Holloway. They are awful with mental health and I cannot stress enough that you should not register with them, ESPECIALLY for mental health.
Last edited by Maplebee92; 1 week ago
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Maplebee92)
Register with the Disabilities and Dyslexia Services as soon as possible - they will only help you if you have a medical diagnosis.

DO NOT register with the Health Centre at Royal Holloway. They are awful with mental health and I cannot stress enough that you should not register with them, ESPECIALLY for mental health.
I'm afraid to say that I agree. I registered for a GP surgery outside of the university.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (19)
5.9%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (186)
57.76%
No (117)
36.34%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed