we need help with everthing! no joke, we haven't had the best english teachers.

Watch this thread
chloe/grace
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
how to write English essay in exams?
how to memorise quotes (Jekyll and hyde, inspector calls, poems)
annotations for Jekyll and hyde. an inspector call and power and conflict poems.
username3934898
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
senecalearning is surprisingly good for quotes, characters and themes
use post it notes and colours to annotate pages
this might be useful: https://examinershead.wordpress.com/
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
aqa should have some mark schemes and example essays available to help guide you.

so for english lit, you'll be given an extract or piece of text (seen poetry, you're given the full poem in the question). some people say you should write an intro, some people say don't bother; it's up to you if you want to do an intro but it definitely helps me get into the flow of writing my essay. poetry comparison i definitely recommend an intro as it gives you the opportunity to mention some context you may not be able to say elsewhere.
now, when it comes to writing the essay based off an extract i recommend using the extract first- picking anything you can from it and seeing if you can link it to the question. your answer needs to include stuff from the extract and stuff not in the extract but it's fine if the majority of your essay is from the extract- as long as you got one point that is not mentioned in the extract that's fine.

petal's a good structure for writing paragraphs- (point, evidence, technique, analyse, link back to question). offering alternative intepretations of a quote is a good way to boost your marks. always link back to the question at the end of each paragraph so if you do end up going off on a tangent it's still a considered response to the question.

idk if you want poetry comparison essay advice too- quote me if you need some help on your essays for that

best way to memorise quote is flashcards. quote on one side, brief analysis on the other side.

mrbuff and mr salles teaches english should have done videos on all the texts you've mentioned, including the poems. annotated all my poems using their videos, they were great.
i did a jekyll and hyde quote thread here if you need anymore quotes
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...rimary_content

plenty of resources on tsr if you look around:yep:
hope this helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (62)
15.94%
The paper was reasonable (190)
48.84%
Not feeling great about that exam... (98)
25.19%
It was TERRIBLE (39)
10.03%

Watched Threads