The Student Room Group

Not sure how to progress from poor AS results.

So during year 12 I chose Maths, Art and Product Design as I wanted to become an architect. However, picking two coursework heavy subjects was too much for me (I admit I didn't put in as much effort as I could have). I was too indecisive in the beginning and I kept changing and restarting my product design brief, which ultimately caused me to be behind. This effected the work I put in other subjects like maths and art, furthermore I wasn't motivated to put in the extra work to correct my mistakes which I now highly regret. As year 12 was coming to an end, I wanted to completely change my career path as I realised architecture wasn't for me. I was certain that I wanted to retake the entire year and change subjects so I didn't try very hard in my AS exams. Now that I have received my grades and have had a meeting with the teacher, they said that there's a chance I won't be allowed to retake in the same school as there is a high amount of new students coming. I was a bit surprised as I knew a lot of people the year above me that did badly and was allowed to retake, and the teacher told me to start looking into new schools in case there aren't enough spaces for me in the current one. So now i'm here kinda lost and confused as I hadn't planned this far in. The other schools around are not as good as the one I currently attend so i'm hesitant on applying. Also, my school is in a consortium where there are 3 other partner schools, but i'm not sure if I can apply to those ones as they are linked to mine.

TL;DR Did badly in yr12 and there's a chance I need to move schools but idk.
Original post by Siova
So during year 12 I chose Maths, Art and Product Design as I wanted to become an architect. However, picking two coursework heavy subjects was too much for me (I admit I didn't put in as much effort as I could have). I was too indecisive in the beginning and I kept changing and restarting my product design brief, which ultimately caused me to be behind. This effected the work I put in other subjects like maths and art, furthermore I wasn't motivated to put in the extra work to correct my mistakes which I now highly regret. As year 12 was coming to an end, I wanted to completely change my career path as I realised architecture wasn't for me. I was certain that I wanted to retake the entire year and change subjects so I didn't try very hard in my AS exams. Now that I have received my grades and have had a meeting with the teacher, they said that there's a chance I won't be allowed to retake in the same school as there is a high amount of new students coming. I was a bit surprised as I knew a lot of people the year above me that did badly and was allowed to retake, and the teacher told me to start looking into new schools in case there aren't enough spaces for me in the current one. So now i'm here kinda lost and confused as I hadn't planned this far in. The other schools around are not as good as the one I currently attend so i'm hesitant on applying. Also, my school is in a consortium where there are 3 other partner schools, but i'm not sure if I can apply to those ones as they are linked to mine.

TL;DR Did badly in yr12 and there's a chance I need to move schools but idk.

You need to call some other schools. You've not been expelled or anything so I don't see why you can't apply to the partner schools, but obviously if yours has a lot of people coming they might too. Think about what subjects you want to take, talk to them and see what yours says after they know how many people enrol with their results this week :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by furryface12
You need to call some other schools. You've not been expelled or anything so I don't see why you can't apply to the partner schools, but obviously if yours has a lot of people coming they might too. Think about what subjects you want to take, talk to them and see what yours says after they know how many people enrol with their results this week :smile:

I have attempted to contact other schools by phoning but I was sent to voicemail. I'm not quite sure how the process works. As everyone is getting their GCSE results tomorrow and enrolling, would I be able to follow that same procedure or would it be different since i'm trying to retake? Also my teachers said they'll contact me after enrolment to see if there are any spaces available, so if I can't get back in, do schools still accept students when enrolment is over? I was planning on going to enrol at a different school tomorrow just in case they don't let me continue, but i'm not sure if I should just wait and see if I can carry on first. Thanks for the help!
Original post by Siova
I have attempted to contact other schools by phoning but I was sent to voicemail. I'm not quite sure how the process works. As everyone is getting their GCSE results tomorrow and enrolling, would I be able to follow that same procedure or would it be different since i'm trying to retake? Also my teachers said they'll contact me after enrolment to see if there are any spaces available, so if I can't get back in, do schools still accept students when enrolment is over? I was planning on going to enrol at a different school tomorrow just in case they don't let me continue, but i'm not sure if I should just wait and see if I can carry on first. Thanks for the help!

Try going to enrol with everyone else, yeah :smile: But make sure you then un-enrol if you get into your current school rather than just not turning off. They can accept you after and do up to the start of term (or just after in places), it depends how much space they have left! But yeah- talk to someone there, explain your situation and see what you say. It might take a couple of attempts but hopefully somewhere will take you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest