direct and inverse proportion help needed!

Watch
lcrabt21
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Ok so I suck at proportion so I need help with the following questions (if you have a method that works for them it's be greatly appreciated because everything I have tried has failed

If a 5500N force can stop the car in 8.0s, how much force would be needed to stop it in 3.5s? (I managed to get 9400 but the online quiz thing i'm using said it was wrong) (NOW SOLVED)

The current through a resistor is inversely proportional to its resistance. With a 330Ω resistor, the current is 25mA. What value of resistance is needed if you wish a 55mA current to pass? (I have attempted this but the method I am using came back with the incorrect answer)

An interest free loan for a luxury sofa takes 15months to pay back at £80/month.
Monthly charge ∝ number of sofas/duration of loan.
What would the monthly charge be in pounds if I bought 3 sofas and paid for them over one year? Give your answer to the nearest pound. (again I have attempted this a couple of times but the method I use is gave me the incorrect answer)

If anyone has a method and can help me it would be greatly appreciated! I was attempting to use the A=k/B rule but it didn't work out too well for these questions
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
acceleration = V/t

in both cases V is the same so A1/A2 = {V/8)/{V/3.5}

the force required is directly proportional to the acceleration, so the ratio of the forces is the same as the ratio of the accelerations ie 3.5: 8
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
moving to the maths forum
lcrabt21
Rep:
?
(Original post by entertainmyfaith)
moving to the maths forum
Thank you!
lcrabt21
Rep:
?
(Original post by the bear)
acceleration = V/t

in both cases V is the same so A1/A2 = {V/8)/{V/3.5}

the force required is directly proportional to the acceleration, so the ratio of the forces is the same as the ratio of the accelerations ie 3.5: 8
I get where you are coming from and this explanation really helped me! but i still seem to be getting it wrong :/ could you possibly explain a little further on how this works??? thank you!!!
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by lcrabt21)
I get where you are coming from and this explanation really helped me! but i still seem to be getting it wrong :/ could you possibly explain a little further on how this works??? thank you!!!
so the ratio of the accelerations is 3.5:8

the ratio of the forces is also 3.5:8

so 5500: ??? is 3.5: 8
lcrabt21
Rep:
?
Ahh thank you so much!!! I had the correct answer once before but I didn't realise it had to be to a certain significant figure! Thank you so much for your help on that question!!!
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Ahh thank you so much!!! I had the correct answer once before but I didn't realise it had to be to a certain significant figure! Thank you so much for your help on that question!!!
your welcome

:hat2:
MysticImogen
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Ok so I suck at proportion so I need help with the following questions (if you have a method that works for them it's be greatly appreciated because everything I have tried has failed

If a 5500N force can stop the car in 8.0s, how much force would be needed to stop it in 3.5s? (I managed to get 9400 but the online quiz thing i'm using said it was wrong)

The current through a resistor is inversely proportional to its resistance. With a 330Ω resistor, the current is 25mA. What value of resistance is needed if you wish a 55mA current to pass? (I have attempted this but the method I am using came back with the incorrect answer)

An interest free loan for a luxury sofa takes 15months to pay back at £80/month.
Monthly charge ∝ number of sofas/duration of loan.
What would the monthly charge be in pounds if I bought 3 sofas and paid for them over one year? Give your answer to the nearest pound. (again I have attempted this a couple of times but the method I use is gave me the incorrect answer)

If anyone has a method and can help me it would be greatly appreciated! I was attempting to use the A=k/B rule but it didn't work out too well for these questions
Thought you asked direct and inverse population control at first!
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Could you post your working so we can see where you are going wrong?

One way that something helps is the unitary approach.

A ship has supplies to last 10 men thirty days. How many days will the supplies last a crew of 6?

10 men thirty days
I man = 10 x 30 days
6 men = 10 x 30/6 = 50 days.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (23)
6.44%
Uncertainty around my education (39)
10.92%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (42)
11.76%
Lack of purpose or motivation (48)
13.45%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (18)
5.04%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (16)
4.48%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (37)
10.36%
Financial worries (25)
7%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (15)
4.2%
Exposure to negative news/social media (22)
6.16%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (10)
2.8%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (36)
10.08%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (26)
7.28%

Watched Threads