The Student Room Group

GCSE entry test?!?

Hi, (this is my first post so correct me if I make any mistake) I recently moved in England and was studying in Italy before. To get in to College, I have to take an entry test for GCSE in English, Maths and Science, but don't excatly know how it is going to be. Other than that, I haven't studied Chemistry in Italy nore have I done the same topics in both Science and Physics. I've tried my best to study them... I was told that the test was approximately 2 hours long so I suppose it isn't like normal gcse. Has anyone done it before or can somebody help me out? I'm in desperate need of information!!
Original post by Free30
Hi, (this is my first post so correct me if I make any mistake) I recently moved in England and was studying in Italy before. To get in to College, I have to take an entry test for GCSE in English, Maths and Science, but don't excatly know how it is going to be. Other than that, I haven't studied Chemistry in Italy nore have I done the same topics in both Science and Physics. I've tried my best to study them... I was told that the test was approximately 2 hours long so I suppose it isn't like normal gcse. Has anyone done it before or can somebody help me out? I'm in desperate need of information!!

This is a hard one! But I would imagine the questions would start easy in each subject and get harder. Try and split your time between them and do the section you will find easiest first so it's out the way. Hopefully you will find the chemistry section easier than you think and you will have studied some of it- do what you can between now and then (look at some stuff for foundation level GCSE maybe, or key stage 3. GCSE bitesize is good!) but try not to worry too much. The school will have people working at lots of different levels and hopefully it won't take you too long once you're there to catch up in the things you need to. Good luck, and welcome to the UK! :smile:
Reply 2
Thank you, but I actually want to do A levels afterwards and I didn't specifie that I had been admitted to year 12 in Italy and I wouldn't want to waste any time. This is why I'm worried about getting nice marks. Do you happen to know if there are multiple choice questions or other kind, this would help me figure out what I need to focus on. Is there any english literature or not? Another thing: I was told to look at past GCSE papers, higher tier. Any help is appreciated :smile:
Reply 3
Ciao parli italiano? In pratica sono nella tua stessa situazione
Original post by Free30
Thank you, but I actually want to do A levels afterwards and I didn't specifie that I had been admitted to year 12 in Italy and I wouldn't want to waste any time. This is why I'm worried about getting nice marks. Do you happen to know if there are multiple choice questions or other kind, this would help me figure out what I need to focus on. Is there any english literature or not? Another thing: I was told to look at past GCSE papers, higher tier. Any help is appreciated :smile:

You can always mention that when you go :smile: there might be a few science multiple choice questions but most will want short written answers probably. There might be a little bit of English literature but it's unlikely- if there was it would be questions on a poem they give you or something like that. Past GCSE papers you can get online, just google it :smile: good luck- you'll be fine!
Reply 5
Original post by fawziya
Ciao parli italiano? In pratica sono nella tua stessa situazione

Anche tu devi dare questo esame?? Cosa ne sai a riguardo?
Original post by Free30

You are lucky that the school/college offers an entry test, many would insist that you join year 11 and complete gcse exams. Unfortunately there isn't a standard test in these circumstances so your only source of relevant advice on what the test will contain is the school itself. It is likely to comprise GCSE type maths and English questions as well as specific questions on those subjects you hope to take for a level. While multiple choice questions are easy to mark, they may not be a good assessment of skills required for certain subjects so I'd expect a lot of short written questions rather then multiple choice. Don't Panic, if you have done well in your study in Italy I'm sure you'll do fine in the assessment.
Reply 7
Thank you very much guys!! You were really helpfull😊
Reply 8
Original post by Free30

Hello hope you are having a nice day. I wanted to ask how did your process go? did you finally get into sixth form? did you pass the entry test?
i am in the same exact position as you right now. I have just moved from Finland and I have an entry test to take for A levels. They said it was 2hrs and it is just basic skills But i am really worried about passing. so i would like to know if you needed a GCSE qualifications before you started sixth form?

Quick Reply

Latest