The Student Room Group

Joining the army

Hi there

Never really considered it before. I'm currently a cadet going into year 11 and thinking of options after school because I soon have to choose whether I go into sixth form or college. I like structure which is what attracts me to the army. I wanted to join the police but now you need to do a degree so not sure now. Thinking I might just become a TA first to see how I would get on, or maybe go in as an officer? I think my parents would be against the idea. I want to go into politics and stuff eventually but just figured I should get some life experience first.
Reply 1
Also say if I wanted to join a regiment like the Grenadiers or the Fusiliers, do I go to them or just the army?
Original post by qwertyK
Also say if I wanted to join a regiment like the Grenadiers or the Fusiliers, do I go to them or just the army?

I've moved you to the Armed Forces area where you will probably get more informed answers, or at least a higher proportion of more informed answers!
Reply 3
Cheers didnt know there was one
Original post by qwertyK

To join any part of the army you'll have to go to an armed forces careers office and apply.

Are you interested in officer entry of soldier entry? If you're considering the infantry then educational requirements are vastly different between being a soldier and an officer.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by moonkatt
To join any part of the army you'll have to go to an armed forces careers office and apply.

Are you interested in officer entry of soldier entry? If you're considering the infantry then educational requirements are vastly different between being a soldier and an officer.

I'm not sure yet. I know you need A-Levels for an officer. I'll have no problem actually getting in, I'm very fit and I am academically doing well. I just don't know what my parents would think.
Original post by qwertyK
I'm not sure yet. I know you need A-Levels for an officer. I'll have no problem actually getting in, I'm very fit and I am academically doing well. I just don't know what my parents would think.

Ultimately it's your choice. I'm sure that every parent would have some reservations about a child joining the armed forces.

There's loads of information online, army website, youtube etc. Let us know if you've got any specific questions and we'll let you know what we think. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Quick Reply

Latest