Process of moving to US from UK?

Watch
alexp98
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey guys,

I am currently 20 and on placement yr so will graduate in 2 yrs time and was wandering if it is possible to move from UK to New york?

Just always been a ambition of mine and I've been there many times and loved it. I thought

i should start thinking about it soon since i was considering doing Acca but that would be worthless in US. So would it be better to just graduate with finance degree here in UK and find job in US?

I've heard the most difficult thing is getting a visa thats where im confused and not sure I'd get one. In terms of family my mums close cousin is there but thats not immediate family to me so wouldn't qualify for green card

Also are british degrees regonised there? Would maybe getting a masters in new york make the process any easier?
Raincloud—
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Good luck!
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by alexp98)
Hey guys,

I am currently 20 and on placement yr so will graduate in 2 yrs time and was wandering if it is possible to move from UK to New york?

Just always been a ambition of mine and I've been there many times and loved it. I thought

i should start thinking about it soon since i was considering doing Acca but that would be worthless in US. So would it be better to just graduate with finance degree here in UK and find job in US?

I've heard the most difficult thing is getting a visa thats where im confused and not sure I'd get one. In terms of family my mums close cousin is there but thats not immediate family to me so wouldn't qualify for green card

Also are british degrees regonised there? Would maybe getting a masters in new york make the process any easier?
"Association of Chartered Certified Accountants is the global professional accounting...."

Yes UK degrees are recognised...unless you're applying to work in some mom & pop general store. Yes, getting a visa is difficult. You'll probably need to have an offer of employment before you move there; if not, you need a large chunk of money and a degree (you'll have at least one of those) typically...Are you referring to NY state, or NYC? Because NYC is one of the most expensive places to live on earth. Unless you have a job lined up with a major firm, you probably won't be able to afford to live there. You can of course commute from NJ or something, but that's a lot less glamorous than what you might think it's going to be...and NY state is very different to NYC. For starts, it's a lot colder upstate...

Overall you seem to know very little about the process and ramifications of this. It's not something to be pursued lightly. You might want to start by reading through the information offered by the US Immigration Services on their website and speaking with the careers staff at your university.

*edit: it's also worth bearing in mind, going into the future the US is becoming increasingly xenophobic socially and politically. While the social side probably won't affect you if you're white, the poltiical side is a bit more indiscriminate; Trump spent a lot of his campaign going on about "American jobs for American people" and reducing immigration etc, and his electorate are expecting him to uphold that. In particular, the next election will be in 2020, when you are graduating - so he will need to be making serious efforts to show he is doing that around that time, in order to be renominated and subsequently have any hope of winning. As a result, it's likely immigration requirements will be even further tightened and getting a visa will become even harder.
Ol94
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
i graduated rn and lots of grad schemes involve fruther study and im too burnt out for that. so ive been seeking internships abroad usa/can. interesting ive got an interview tomorrow with the company stage usa who provide internships/traineeships for up to 18 months in usa (someone im met at uni did it so its legit). just google it and there are some nyc opportunities dont have to sign up. for me im interested in california. in regards to long term options i suppose you could do a year and see how it goes
-_alex_-
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It is unfortunately very difficult to get approved for a work visa/green card at the moment without either a business, large amounts of money you intend to invest in the US economy, or immediate family who are US citizens. The problem is that since the process of hiring someone overseas is very expensive for employers relative to employing someone from the US, you would realistically want to have a degree in a STEM subject (science, technology, engineering or mathematics) and be applying to a field which is very in demand, software engineering for example.
alexp98
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
"Association of Chartered Certified Accountants is the global professional accounting...."

Yes UK degrees are recognised...unless you're applying to work in some mom & pop general store. Yes, getting a visa is difficult. You'll probably need to have an offer of employment before you move there; if not, you need a large chunk of money and a degree (you'll have at least one of those) typically...Are you referring to NY state, or NYC? Because NYC is one of the most expensive places to live on earth. Unless you have a job lined up with a major firm, you probably won't be able to afford to live there. You can of course commute from NJ or something, but that's a lot less glamorous than what you might think it's going to be...and NY state is very different to NYC. For starts, it's a lot colder upstate...

Overall you seem to know very little about the process and ramifications of this. It's not something to be pursued lightly. You might want to start by reading through the information offered by the US Immigration Services on their website and speaking with the careers staff at your university.

*edit: it's also worth bearing in mind, going into the future the US is becoming increasingly xenophobic socially and politically. While the social side probably won't affect you if you're white, the poltiical side is a bit more indiscriminate; Trump spent a lot of his campaign going on about "American jobs for American people" and reducing immigration etc, and his electorate are expecting him to uphold that. In particular, the next election will be in 2020, when you are graduating - so he will need to be making serious efforts to show he is doing that around that time, in order to be renominated and subsequently have any hope of winning. As a result, it's likely immigration requirements will be even further tightened and getting a visa will become even harder.
Hi yes,
Was referring to New York City. And yes ACCA is recognised in USA but i meant it has little value, which I know due to having cousins in the finance field there.

Many thanks for your help, yeah for sure I understand little about the process since It's something i just brought up with my mum yesterday and I got the go ahead, so now will have to start researching more into it like the immigration website you recommended.

Yeah defo i understand your New Jersey point, I agree and don't see the value in that since i would be better off staying here in London, so it would have to me New York to make the move worthwhile and beneficial.

yes the degree is a certanity in Accounting and Finance, in terms of money if i did not have a job lined up how much would i roughly be looking at to be granted a Visa?

I mean i do have 2 cousins there who would let me stay while I find a job and get up and running there too. (But of course would prefer my own small place, but i just assume it would be easier getting a job there rather than trying from the UK.)

Again, many thanks for your help.

Ahh just read your last point, yeah not great and I'm indian to make matters worse... It's just the city vibes I love, yet to find anywhere like it. In addition, just feels like a great challenge and i want to feel the sense of accomplishment rather than living the boring standard life.
alexp98
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ol94)
i graduated rn and lots of grad schemes involve fruther study and im too burnt out for that. so ive been seeking internships abroad usa/can. interesting ive got an interview tomorrow with the company stage usa who provide internships/traineeships for up to 18 months in usa (someone im met at uni did it so its legit). just google it and there are some nyc opportunities dont have to sign up. for me im interested in california. in regards to long term options i suppose you could do a year and see how it goes
Good luck for the interview! Yeah i will keep an eye out, it's just I'm looking for a more permanent thing as i think atm after the 18 months you would have to come straight back unless you can get that visa.
alexp98
Rep:
?
(Original post by -_alex_-)
It is unfortunately very difficult to get approved for a work visa/green card at the moment without either a business, large amounts of money you intend to invest in the US economy, or immediate family who are US citizens. The problem is that since the process of hiring someone overseas is very expensive for employers relative to employing someone from the US, you would realistically want to have a degree in a STEM subject (science, technology, engineering or mathematics) and be applying to a field which is very in demand, software engineering for example.
Ahh I see, makes things more unlikely. I do accounting and finance and i don't see bankers being in any demand since there's enough down there haha.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (57)
39.86%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (24)
16.78%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (6)
4.2%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (15)
10.49%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (15)
10.49%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (12)
8.39%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (14)
9.79%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed