Stress to success? || A Year 11 GYG! Watch

ginevrafanshawe
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
The end-of-November update!!!

So, a lot has happened this month. First of all, I had mocks! I had them for all of my subjects apart from History, Biology, and Physics, which I’ll be taking at the beginning of January (idk why my school split them up, but I’m happy that they did!)

Here are my grades! The predicted grades are my own guesses, not my school’s.
Maths: 9 - 88% overall (Paper 1 85%, Paper 2 91%) (predicted 9)
English language: 9 - 91% (predicted 75%)
English literature: 9 - 95% (predicted 77%)
Chemistry: 8 - 77% (predicted 78%)
Latin: 9 - 87% overall (92% on Lang, 82% on the combined literature and culture paper) (Predicted 9 for lang, 8 for sources/lit)
French: 9 - 98% overall (reading 100%, listening 98%, writing 96%, speaking 96%)

So yeah, in total, I’m actually quite pleasantly surprised! I’ve always had myself down as bad at English, so getting a 9 on both of them was a huge shock!

But chemistry. I know that an 8 is good, and I’m happy! The thing is, I know I could have done better if I had studied more (it was the last exam, and tbh I definitely didn’t do as much as I could have). So, while I’m happy with the grade, I’m unhappy that I didn’t try my best. At least now I’ve learnt that my motivation for studying sort of dwindles towards the last few exams, and can make sure not to let that happen during the next set of mocks and eventually for my actual GCSEs!

I’ve started doing this thing where I study during the weekend even when I don’t have a test. On the first week I do chemistry and English, the second week biology and history, and so on for a total of four weeks. Apparently doing this makes the information part of my long term memory, so when I do revision for my GCSEs I’ll be refreshing myself, not reteaching myself!

So my summary message for this month is a really cheesy one, which is that mistakes are just opportunities to learn! Also, I hope all of you guys are happy with your mock results! And if you haven’t finished them yet, good luck!
nyxnko_
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by ginevrafanshawe)
Thank you both!
RazzzBerries: I don’t know what a tag list is haha, but I’ll add you if you tell me how! 😂
:hugs:
you could do a quote list e.g. [quote=nyxnko_]x[/quote] and just do that for everyone who wants to be tagged and then just put all of that in a spoiler :yes:
nyxnko_
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
:woo: you're doing great!!
huda122
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by ginevrafanshawe)
The end-of-November update!!!

So, a lot has happened this month. First of all, I had mocks! I had them for all of my subjects apart from History, Biology, and Physics, which I’ll be taking at the beginning of January (idk why my school split them up, but I’m happy that they did!)

Here are my grades! The predicted grades are my own guesses, not my school’s.
Maths: 9 - 88% overall (Paper 1 85%, Paper 2 91%) (predicted 9)
English language: 9 - 91% (predicted 75%)
English literature: 9 - 95% (predicted 77%)
Chemistry: 8 - 77% (predicted 78%)
Latin: 9 - 87% overall (92% on Lang, 82% on the combined literature and culture paper) (Predicted 9 for lang, 8 for sources/lit)
French: 9 - 98% overall (reading 100%, listening 98%, writing 96%, speaking 96%)

So yeah, in total, I’m actually quite pleasantly surprised! I’ve always had myself down as bad at English, so getting a 9 on both of them was a huge shock!

But chemistry. I know that an 8 is good, and I’m happy! The thing is, I know I could have done better if I had studied more (it was the last exam, and tbh I definitely didn’t do as much as I could have). So, while I’m happy with the grade, I’m unhappy that I didn’t try my best. At least now I’ve learnt that my motivation for studying sort of dwindles towards the last few exams, and can make sure not to let that happen during the next set of mocks and eventually for my actual GCSEs!

I’ve started doing this thing where I study during the weekend even when I don’t have a test. On the first week I do chemistry and English, the second week biology and history, and so on for a total of four weeks. Apparently doing this makes the information part of my long term memory, so when I do revision for my GCSEs I’ll be refreshing myself, not reteaching myself!

So my summary message for this month is a really cheesy one, which is that mistakes are just opportunities to learn! Also, I hope all of you guys are happy with your mock results! And if you haven’t finished them yet, good luck!
im reading my dream as a fellow year 11. wow this is amazing WELLL DONE OMG and imagine its only just December omg youre gonna do so well. tutor me pleasee lol but in all seriousness teach me your wayssss and you should be very proud with chem i know im getting a 3 or a 4 but i understand what you mean a LOT but an 8 is amazing hehe
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
ginevrafanshawe
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by nyxnko_)
:hugs:
you could do a quote list e.g. and just do that for everyone who wants to be tagged and then just put all of that in a spoiler :yes:
Thanks! I’ll have a go, hopefully it’ll work haha
(Original post by nyxnko_)
:woo: you're doing great!!
Thank you!!!
(Original post by huda122)
im reading my dream as a fellow year 11. wow this is amazing WELLL DONE OMG and imagine its only just December omg youre gonna do so well. tutor me pleasee lol but in all seriousness teach me your wayssss and you should be very proud with chem i know im getting a 3 or a 4 but i understand what you mean a LOT but an 8 is amazing hehe
Thanks
ginevrafanshawe
Rep:
?
2019 Update!

Sorry that I basically completely abandoned this since November
I kept meaning to go on and update but first I was busy with Christmas, then more mocks revision, then actual GCSE revision, which I can’t believe has already started!
At least I’m here now I guess!

Since I last updated, I got more mock results back, so here’s all of them together, with my goal for the actual GCSEs! (Can’t believe they’re only a couple of months away!)
Maths: 9 (goal 9)
English lang: 9 (goal 8 or 9)
English lit: 9 (goal 8 or 9)
Biology: 8 (goal 8 or 9)
Chemistry: 8 (goal 9)
Physics: 8 (goal 9)
History: 8 (goal 8 or 9)
French: 9 (goal 9)
Latin: 9 (goal 9)

So overall, I’m really happy! But I know I can’t relax yet since I still have to do loads and loads of revision if I want to get the same results on the actual GCSEs

I started my revision schedule in February half term, which I know is a bit early, but it wasn’t like PROPER revision, since I’m doing it in stages. Here’s what I’m doing, in case it helps anyone:
Stage One: Feb half term - mid March: refresh - reread textbooks, do some quizlets, get a basic knowledge of every topic. This means that when I start proper revision, I can focus on the details!
Stage Two: mid March - 2 weeks before each exam: relearn - make proper detailed notes for every single topic, and try to memorise all details
Stage Three: two weeks before each exam: past papers - do loads of past papers, identify difficult topics, revise, and repeat! Also work on exam technique and answer structures for things like history

I have to admit that I’m a bit behind schedule whoops, but I’m going to try and get a lot more work done this week and get back on track! Especially on the subjects I find the most difficult: the sciences, the Englishes, and history. Which I just realised is most of my GCSEs 😂

I’m going to end this with a cheesy motivational quote: “Don’t stop until you’re proud.” I lile this quote because it doesn’t imply thay you have to constantly revise, like some others (I’m thinking of “You don’t want to look back and know you could’ve done better.”), but it still motivates me to keep going even when I want to quit. If I’ve done an hour of revision, and I’m a bit bored and feel like quitting, I just think: Will I be proud of what I’ve done today if I stop now? And with one hour, the answer is usually no (unless it was something really difficult!). So I take a ten minute break, grab a snack, and go back to it for another hour! And if by the end I feel like I’ve accomplished something, and I’m proud of myself for keeping going, then I can stop... unless I’ve got enough free time and motivation to go for another hour! But just a word of advice: when it gets past 3 hours of revision, you need to take a longer break than 10 minutes - like at least half an hour - to break it up, even if you feel fine. This is because your brain is getting overworked and tired, even if you don’t feel it, and after 3 hours it starts to work poorly, and all your revision after that won’t soak in as well as it would if you just take half an hour or more to give your brain a break!

I hope everyone’s revision is going well, and I hope you’re all making time to destress a bit! I know everyone has their own way, but my favourite is a nice bubble bath with a snack on the side and Netflix on my iPad!
Good luck everyone
HungryNiceGuy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Cool!
ginevrafanshawe
Rep:
?
Tag list
I hope this works haha

Spoiler:
Show

(Original post by nyxnko)
x
(Original post by RazzzBerries)
x
Last edited by ginevrafanshawe; 1 week ago
coolio333
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey,im in year 11 and kind of struggling with maths and English Lit/lang, would love to know what you do for revision. My English lit books are a Christmas carol, Romeo and Juliet and Animal Farm and Poetry is Time and place.
RazzzBerries
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Congrats on the epic mock results! Also, the tag list works
Shamzz4
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Hey, congrats for you amazing mock grades.
Could you please tell me how you revise for English please. I have been struggling a lot and just got 7- I really hope that I could get an 8 at least. Could you please reply with some English gcse revision tips.
ginevrafanshawe
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 day ago
(Original post by coolio333)
Hey,im in year 11 and kind of struggling with maths and English Lit/lang, would love to know what you do for revision. My English lit books are a Christmas carol, Romeo and Juliet and Animal Farm and Poetry is Time and place.
(Original post by Shamzz4)
Hey, congrats for you amazing mock grades.
Could you please tell me how you revise for English please. I have been struggling a lot and just got 7- I really hope that I could get an 8 at least. Could you please reply with some English gcse revision tips.
For getting more marks in essays:
- the most useful thing is doing practice questions and asking your teacher to mark them. This way you can find out what you need to improve, so you know what to work on!
- even though I find it difficult to remember to use it, the PEC structure (point evidence comment), or whatever your school calls it (PEA, PEE, etc), is actually really useful. However, I have my own version where I’ve added some more ways to get marks. I use PETAC (point, evidence/quote, technique, analysis, comparison/context (if it’s a book or a comparison essay).
- make sure your quotes are fully embedded! It may seem like a simple thing but it really makes your essay flow much more smoothly and seem a lot more well-written.

For memorising stuff (eg quotes and poetry analysis):
- mind maps: I didn’t like mind maps until I tried them, and now I use them all the time! If you have one mind map for each theme of each book, you can then have branches coming off it for each part of that theme. For example, I’m doing Of Mice and Men, and one of the themes is power, so I did a whole mind map with “power” in the centre, and the branches coming off it were “racial prejudice”, “sexism”, etc. Then, the branches coming off of THOSE branches were quotes. I find that if I stare at my mind map for long enough, and try to focus on the connections between each part, it really sticks in my mind!
- doing it in a group: a few hours before my mock, some friends and I sat in a circle and went through every poem, having a conversation and taking notes on all of our key points (eg how the use of alliteration was important in one poem). The fact that I’d had a conversation and heard new points, rather than just staring at a piece of paper and hoping it went in, really helped me, and during the exam I found myself remembering the conversations and therefore remembering the points I needed to make!

I hope this all helps!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (82)
16.21%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (52)
10.28%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (92)
18.18%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (75)
14.82%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (53)
10.47%
How can I be the best version of myself? (152)
30.04%

Watched Threads