The Student Room Group

I don't want to become a doctor! Help please.

Hello everyone. I just signed up in this website to get some help and advice.
I have completed my a levels recently and got A* in biology and chemistry, A in physics, B in Mathematics. I love maths and physics and chemistry too, but I just don't have any interest in biology or becoming a doctor.

After my A level results in August, I applied for a top medical university in my country and got first position in the entry test (in January) in my province, and got selected. My father suggested me to be a doctor and at that time I accepted his suggestion, but now I feel that my mind is changing. In fact I never wanted to be a doctor. I always wanted to be a mechanical engineer.

The university classes will began in November and that will be 2 months from now. I just wanted to ask if it's possible to prepare again and apply for an engineering university. I don't know if it's the right choice. I think I can get admission in a good engineering university, but the problem is that I may end up wasting a complete year, already I have wasted alot of time. I will have to restudy again all the material. I will also have to give up the medical college, and I don't think I could convince my father.

Besides, I had suffered from OCD through out my life and I am very afraid of diseases and making a mistake as a surgeon and losing a life or contracting a disease myself. I am not good at taking quick decisions or in practical work or at rote memorization. I am not a doctor material. But is it possible that even if have to become a doctor I could just adopt. Is there any field in medicine that involves math and doesn't involve surgery or treating patients. I am thinking about research but I think there is not much salary in it. I will be very thankful for any advice. Thanks a lot!
Original post by lelouch456
Hello everyone. I just signed up in this website to get some help and advice.
I have completed my a levels recently and got A* in biology and chemistry, A in physics, B in Mathematics. I love maths and physics and chemistry too, but I just don't have any interest in biology or becoming a doctor.

After my A level results in August, I applied for a top medical university in my country and got first position in the entry test (in January) in my province, and got selected. My father suggested me to be a doctor and at that time I accepted his suggestion, but now I feel that my mind is changing. In fact I never wanted to be a doctor. I always wanted to be a mechanical engineer.

The university classes will began in November and that will be 2 months from now. I just wanted to ask if it's possible to prepare again and apply for an engineering university. I don't know if it's the right choice. I think I can get admission in a good engineering university, but the problem is that I may end up wasting a complete year, already I have wasted alot of time. I will have to restudy again all the material. I will also have to give up the medical college, and I don't think I could convince my father.

Besides, I had suffered from OCD through out my life and I am very afraid of diseases and making a mistake as a surgeon and losing a life or contracting a disease myself. I am not good at taking quick decisions or in practical work or at rote memorization. I am not a doctor material. But is it possible that even if have to become a doctor I could just adopt. Is there any field in medicine that involves math and doesn't involve surgery or treating patients. I am thinking about research but I think there is not much salary in it. I will be very thankful for any advice. Thanks a lot!

Don't do it if you're sure you don't want to do it. Medical school is hard enough even if you really want to be there.

Try not to think too much about 'wasting' a year; a year is a very small period of time in the context of what would hopefully be a lifelong career in something you actually enjoy. I get that it's hard if your parents have expectations, but your dad doesn't get to dictate the course of the rest of your life. That's your choice.

As to your last questions - yes, there are plenty of medical fields that don't involve being directly hands on with patients, or with a bit less clinical contact than others (research posts, radiology, clinical chemistry, microbiology..) but you would have to go through medical school first, which would mean several years of doing all the things you say you can't bear before getting to the stage where you could start avoiding patients!
Reply 2
Thanks pitseleh for replying. I need some more advice please. I am planning it like this. I go to medical college and attend the first semester. I will get 2 months(June and July) vacation after that. Perhaps I can prepare for the entry test for engineering university in the 2 months(it's just revision) and give the test in August. If I fail I will return to medical college but it's worth a try. I would be indeed grateful for any advice or opinion. Thanks a lot.
Original post by lelouch456
Thanks pitseleh for replying. I need some more advice please. I am planning it like this. I go to medical college and attend the first semester. I will get 2 months(June and July) vacation after that. Perhaps I can prepare for the entry test for engineering university in the 2 months(it's just revision) and give the test in August. If I fail I will return to medical college but it's worth a try. I would be indeed grateful for any advice or opinion. Thanks a lot.

Don't go at all. You're wasting your time and theirs. Take a gap year and reapply for engineering. Get a job for that year out and save some money.
Reply 4
Yes itsmith I'm from Pakistan

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending