The Student Room Group

Retake or not? HELPPPPP

So, I achieved AAAD in my A levels, and was wondering whether it's worth retaking maths (the subject I got a D in). I'm taking a gap year and would like to reapply to top unis like LSE and UCL for geography/international relations. Do I have a chance at these unis (the courses I'm interested in require AAA)? Will retaking maths make my application more competitive? HELPPPPPPPP!!!!
Reply 1
Someone?????
Reply 2
Original post by Zaporizhia
So, I achieved AAAD in my A levels, and was wondering whether it's worth retaking maths (the subject I got a D in). I'm taking a gap year and would like to reapply to top unis like LSE and UCL for geography/international relations. Do I have a chance at these unis (the courses I'm interested in require AAA)? Will retaking maths make my application more competitive? HELPPPPPPPP!!!!

If they require/prefer Maths then yes, although check the department's views on retakes.

PS. Please don't bump threads so quickly - for one thing it makes an unanswered thread look like it has an answer which is counter productive... :wink:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Doonesbury
If they require/prefer Maths then yes, although check the department's views on retakes.

LSE of course don't like retakes, and require a 'pass' in the fourth A level, however I'm sure I could get a better grade if I retake. Maybe since this is my fourth A level they won't be as harsh, as I obtained the grade requirements in the first sitting anyway?
Reply 4
LSE of course don't like retakes, and require a 'pass' in the fourth A level, however I'm sure I could get a better grade if I retake. Maybe since this is my fourth A level they won't be as harsh, as I obtained the grade requirements in the first sitting anyway?

LSE's view on resits varies by department - have you double-checked?

And if you have then why ask the question in the first place... you know the answer. A D is a pass.
Reply 5
What are your other subjects OP?

Provided they are all on the preferred subjects list, you should be fine. UCL Geography only requires a Geography A-level at grade A, you would only need your Maths A-level (at grade A) for doing Geography for Quantitative Methods. If you can get a contextual offers this will only be ABB. There are no specific subjects for Politics and International Relations (beyond an essay-based subject being preferred).

LSE will consider your GCSEs, as well as AS grades (if available) in your application (for all courses), but do not require you to have taken a specific subject at A-level.

I don't see UCL having any problem with your Maths result, but LSE might be a bit harsher. Still, no reason to not discuss it with both universities (I recommend contacting LSE directly about your chances of getting onto either course with your current grades, before deciding whether or not to resit Maths).

Good luck!
Reply 6
Original post by IxJ
What are your other subjects OP?

Provided they are all on the preferred subjects list, you should be fine. UCL Geography only requires a Geography A-level at grade A, you would only need your Maths A-level (at grade A) for doing Geography for Quantitative Methods. If you can get a contextual offers this will only be ABB. There are no specific subjects for Politics and International Relations (beyond an essay-based subject being preferred).

LSE will consider your GCSEs, as well as AS grades (if available) in your application (for all courses), but do not require you to have taken a specific subject at A-level.

I don't see UCL having any problem with your Maths result, but LSE might be a bit harsher. Still, no reason to not discuss it with both universities (I recommend contacting LSE directly about your chances of getting onto either course with your current grades, before deciding whether or not to resit Maths).

Good luck!

My other subjects are all from the 'preferred' list in the geography course description (geography, history and Spanish). For AS maths I got a B, and my GCSEs were 9A*s and 3As. Yeah I've emailed LSE admissions last week, but of course they're v busy at the moment. Thanks for your help!
some universities don't allow A level resits even for graduate medicine. Can you do A levels from beginning or do other a level specification for those universities? or do other qualifications like IB or Cambridge Pre-U? is there any possibility to go to Universities or courses which don't allow A level resits with bad A level results?
Reply 8
Original post by eagle-nak
some universities don't allow A level resits even for graduate medicine. Can you do A levels from beginning or do other a level specification for those universities? or do other qualifications like IB or Cambridge Pre-U? is there any possibility to go to Universities or courses which don't allow A level resits with bad A level results?

Well I qualify for most of UCL's courses and around a third of LSE's with the grades I've achieved (AAAD). I'm just wondering with I should retake maths (the D grade) or just apply with my grades. I don't think it's worth restarting A levels considering I still got decent grades...
Reply 9
If you've already met the offer (e.g AAA) and you're taking a gap year but you retake a subject (eg. to make it A*) just because you want to and you know you can do it easily, would LSE or UCL have a problem with that?
Original post by smhn
If you've already met the offer (e.g AAA) and you're taking a gap year but you retake a subject (eg. to make it A*) just because you want to and you know you can do it easily, would LSE or UCL have a problem with that?

I'm not sure, that's really what I want to know. I got AAA in three other subjects, and a D in maths but I know I can get an A in it
Reply 11
I'm not sure, that's really what I want to know. I got AAA in three other subjects, and a D in maths but I know I can get an A in it

I got AAA too and Im taking a gap year but i've already met the requirements for a&f so AAA is fine but I want to try my luck with economics too which requires A*. But i dont know if it'll hinder my chances at getting into a&f because of the retake. so confused
Original post by smhn
I got AAA too and Im taking a gap year but i've already met the requirements for a&f so AAA is fine but I want to try my luck with economics too which requires A*. But i dont know if it'll hinder my chances at getting into a&f because of the retake. so confused

ohh haha, I'm literally in the same position. So you'd apply to two courses? I guess that since you've already achieved AAA it should be ok, but I'm confused whether they mean they don't accept any retakes at all (including any extra A levels), or if they just want you to get the grades required in one sitting, and don't mind retakes for any extra A levels...it's confusing af. If they did I would apply to a course requiring A*AA too, but I'm doubtful they'll accept this.
Reply 13
ohh haha, I'm literally in the same position. So you'd apply to two courses? I guess that since you've already achieved AAA it should be ok, but I'm confused whether they mean they don't accept any retakes at all (including any extra A levels), or if they just want you to get the grades required in one sitting, and don't mind retakes for any extra A levels...it's confusing af. If they did I would apply to a course requiring A*AA too, but I'm doubtful they'll accept this.

I phoned them today and they said retaking a subject you've already done puts you in a bad position but that doesn't necessarily mean you have zero chance. So they said applying for a course where you're not retaking anything puts you in a better position. Taking another A-level is fine tho. I'll be doing the same just to make my application stronger.
Original post by smhn
I phoned them today and they said retaking a subject you've already done puts you in a bad position but that doesn't necessarily mean you have zero chance. So they said applying for a course where you're not retaking anything puts you in a better position. Taking another A-level is fine tho. I'll be doing the same just to make my application stronger.

Thanks for that, I emailed and they are yet to respond lol. I will phone tomorrow as well, luckily geography is one of the less competitive courses (by less competitive I mean 1 in 9 get an offer instead of the 1 in 16 like economics lol) so I hop I have a better chance.
Reply 15
Thanks for that, I emailed and they are yet to respond lol. I will phone tomorrow as well, luckily geography is one of the less competitive courses (by less competitive I mean 1 in 9 get an offer instead of the 1 in 16 like economics lol) so I hop I have a better chance.

By the way, are you picking a course you *really* want to study? Not just one that is "less competitive".

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
By the way, are you picking a course you *really* want to study? Not just one that is "less competitive".

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I am, geography just happened to be less competitive, probably because it doesn't have economics in the name. I applied for geography courses last year too
Original post by eagle-nak

which universities don't allow resits for graduate medicine?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending