The Student Room Group

Careers Advice

So I am struggling a little bit and this might sound a bit stupid but all i want to do as a career is be a social media influencer in my case a youtuber i currently stand at 158 subscribers my channel is a comedy entertainment channel now we all know like a lot of bigger youtubers 158 is not enough to drop out of college to drop out of education i would be looking for at least 100k subscribers being a youtuber is all i have a passion for and there are not many college courses that can help you being a social media influencer if there are any again its all i want to do its all im passionate about and i am struggling on what to do with my education life until i reach the 100k needed to go full time i need desperate advice i am seeking help urgently
i’m sorry it’s hard and sometimes just comes down to luck i’m afraid!

or being clever about it :wink:

if all else fails you could just go on love island i guess :getmecoat:
Which other social media sites do you have? And how many followers do you have on those?
Reply 3
Original post by Kirby...
Which other social media sites do you have? And how many followers do you have on those?

Youtube 158 Subscribers
Twitter 201 Followers
Instagram 79 Followers
Snapchat Roughly 300 Views

as i said i don't know what course to do to help me achieve my goal as im not interested in anything else and i need help with my career badly
Original post by liamlarner
Youtube 158 Subscribers
Twitter 201 Followers
Instagram 79 Followers
Snapchat Roughly 300 Views

as i said i don't know what course to do to help me achieve my goal as im not interested in anything else and i need help with my career badly

How about btec media studies? You'll be able to focus all your time on how to edit videos and learning the things around the subject. Tbh you can't just learn to become an influencer in school it's a skill learnt from experience. Your social presence is really weak. The first advice is build up your following on social media sites first line Instagram, Twitter and Snapchat then you could use your following to move into YouTube. Another tip is to wait for another social media platform to pop up so you can join and grow big on until you can branch out to other places. This is what alot of Viners did when vine shut down. Tbh I just say focus on your education and try to become an influencer in your spare time cause becoming successful in YouTube is very hard and you would rather have something to fall back on then being unemployed and desperate.
Reply 5
I am Just Scared and unsure what to do as i have to be in education as i don't have enough subs to leave education what do i do if i go on a course im not interested i will fail
Reply 6
How about btec media studies? You'll be able to focus all your time on how to edit videos and learning the things around the subject. Tbh you can't just learn to become an influencer in school it's a skill learnt from experience. Your social presence is really weak. The first advice is build up your following on social media sites first line Instagram, Twitter and Snapchat then you could use your following to move into YouTube. Another tip is to wait for another social media platform to pop up so you can join and grow big on until you can branch out to other places. This is what alot of Viners did when vine shut down. Tbh I just say focus on your education and try to become an influencer in your spare time cause becoming successful in YouTube is very hard and you would rather have something to fall back on then being unemployed and desperate.

Yes i understand what your saying the thing with youtube is consistency with your uploads and then growth not everyone is and will be a Jake Paul or Casey Neistat I am going to talk with the careers Advisor tommorow
Yes i understand what your saying the thing with youtube is consistency with your uploads and then growth not everyone is and will be a Jake Paul or Casey Neistat I am going to talk with the careers Advisor tommorow

Consistency is for people who have already built their platform. You can't just randomly make videos consistently and gain followers. You have to lay a foundation of what your channel is going to be about. Have you decided on what your channel is going to be about? You need to be decisive with a plan to really be successful, TM your career advisor will probably have no idea of what you're talking about. Just think it through and consider your other options before making a big decision. I know someone who has 100k subscribers but is still focused on school, it shows that being on YouTube isn't always stable.
Reply 8
Consistency is for people who have already built their platform. You can't just randomly make videos consistently and gain followers. You have to lay a foundation of what your channel is going to be about. Have you decided on what your channel is going to be about? You need to be decisive with a plan to really be successful, TM your career advisor will probably have no idea of what you're talking about. Just think it through and consider your other options before making a big decision. I know someone who has 100k subscribers but is still focused on school, it shows that being on YouTube isn't always stable.

I have a laid out video and structure plan Saffron barker, Anastasia Kingsnorth, Lee Hinchcliffe, Jake Mitchell all started out on a consistant video plan consistently uploading i've personally spoken to them about it for advice as you are consistant your watch time goes up the more watch time you have the more the youtube algorithm promotes your content
I have a laid out video and structure plan Saffron barker, Anastasia Kingsnorth, Lee Hinchcliffe, Jake Mitchell all started out on a consistant video plan consistently uploading i've personally spoken to them about it for advice as you are consistant your watch time goes up the more watch time you have the more the youtube algorithm promotes your content

Yh but unless you have a channel with proper content than those viewers are not going to stay, which you need to become an influencer. Reading over what you said it seems that you don't know alot about becoming an influencer, becoming one requires a lot of things and you can get there in multiple ways. You do need to realise that influencers are getting views and followers becuase they are popular or have the traits of a popular person. And from your following count it doesn't seem you have these traits. I'm not trying to get you down but really consider why you want to become a YouTuber? Is it because of making content or because you want an easier lifestyle with fame? I can obviously tell that you want it but unless your honest I doubt you'd probably become one which a lot of other people will also say.
Yh but unless you have a channel with proper content than those viewers are not going to stay, which you need to become an influencer. Reading over what you said it seems that you don't know alot about becoming an influencer, becoming one requires a lot of things and you can get there in multiple ways. You do need to realise that influencers are getting views and followers becuase they are popular or have the traits of a popular person. And from your following count it doesn't seem you have these traits. I'm not trying to get you down but really consider why you want to become a YouTuber? Is it because of making content or because you want an easier lifestyle with fame? I can obviously tell that you want it but unless your honest I doubt you'd probably become one which a lot of other people will also say.

The reason i want to become a influencer is not for the fame or money its to make content my channel strategy is Comedy Skits and Pranks

Quick Reply