Recognition of the medical degree after Brexit

Watch
MedStudentWorry
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi guys,

As an EU student who will (hopefully) become a doctor after attending a medical school in the UK, I was reading up more and more about Brexit and its effects.

With Brexit coming up, I am more and more afraid I won't be able to work outside the UK later on. Now, I want to stay and work in the UK for a few years at least, but you never know what the future holds and which opportunities I might get. I just don't want to restrict myself.

Is it possible the EU will stop recognising the medical degrees obtained in the UK after Brexit? The quality of teaching is very high, probably higher than some of the medical schools in other European countries, but I still worry what might happen later on.

Does anyone whether there might be issues? Is there any website I might be able to get information from?

Thank you.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by MedStudentWorry)
Hi guys,

As an EU student who will (hopefully) become a doctor after attending a medical school in the UK, I was reading up more and more about Brexit and its effects.

With Brexit coming up, I am more and more afraid I won't be able to work outside the UK later on. Now, I want to stay and work in the UK for a few years at least, but you never know what the future holds and which opportunities I might get. I just don't want to restrict myself.

Is it possible the EU will stop recognising the medical degrees obtained in the UK after Brexit? The quality of teaching is very high, probably higher than some of the medical schools in other European countries, but I still worry what might happen later on.

Does anyone whether there might be issues? Is there any website I might be able to get information from?

Thank you.
I wouldnt be worried at all. You have one of the leading medical qualifications that will be accepted worldwide. All that will happen is there may be some small exam for the new country you wish to work in.. If you are that worried then study in the EU such as Bulgaria.
Recognition of qualifications is really in the hands of the EU and your home country

As the EU cant agree anything at the moment, then a no deal Brexit looks possible. I wouldnt worry though you would just be treated as a non EU doctor.
Keep an eye on the BMA as am sure they will jeep you updated or the profession site for your country.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
As above - worst case scenario is that you are recognised as a non-EU doctor, which may have some implications but doesn't mean the degree isn't "recognised" - just that you are lower priority for jobs. Hopefully your nationality will negate that somewhat, but the exact arrangement will probably depend on country and how Brexit goes.

So it might make things harder, but i am confident you would be able to practice in the EU.
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by MedStudentWorry)
Hi guys,

Thank you.
Currently, with a medical degree I struggle to think of anywhere in the world where you can't work (after taking qualifying exams). It will be the same post-Brexit I am sure, and as above it will probably (or if a bilateral agreement is reached then not!) means another exam - the UKMLE.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (145)
14.4%
I'm not sure (42)
4.17%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (302)
29.99%
I have already dropped out (26)
2.58%
I'm not a current university student (492)
48.86%

Watched Threads