Is it worth applying to Cambridge as 1/5 of my choices? Watch

Criminalis
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
I wasn't considering it as a realistic option but a few people have suggested that I should go for it.

I'd be applying for Psychological and Behavioural Sciences.

Typical offers/entry requirements: A*AA
My predicted grades: A*AB (and an A in EPQ)

GCSES:
So I didn't do great in my GCSEs, getting 2 A*, 3 As, 3 Bs and 3 Cs. Not Cambridge quality at all.

That being said, their website does say "strong performance in Years 12 and 13 can make up for a less stellar performance at GCSE" which does give me a slight chance.

The website also states "most students who apply have at least four or five As or A*s at GCSE" - in this case, I have a total of 5 I guess?

However, they also want good GCSEs in subjects relating to the degree you are applying for. One of my C's was in psychology (I don't know what happened...)

Contextual Data:
My school is from a very bad area so maybe that would have an impact.

Is it worth it? Be honest please.

Thanks
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Yes.
Providing you can get your B predicted as an A yes(you need to meet minimum entry requirements). It's ok if you don't get the A and end up with a B if you have an offer as sometimes they let people in who just miss their conditions
You'll never know unless you try
dinomite
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
You’re definitely going to be at a disadvantage considering you haven’t made the typical/minimum offer (that’s not to say your grades aren’t good—they’re amazing!!) but compelling contextual data would hopefully be taken into account. I’d say stellar gcses are more of an oxford requirement than Cambridge’s which makes Year 12/predicated grades all the more paramount.

That being said you should still go for it. And hey—you might actually come out with A*A*A or more. You never know!

Edit: a bit confused but are you doing 2 a levels and the EPQ instead of 3 a levels?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
u_l_u
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Criminalis)
I wasn't considering it as a realistic option but a few people have suggested that I should go for it.

My predicted grades: A*AB (A in EPQ)

GCSES:
So I didn't do great in my GCSEs, getting 2 A*, 3 As, 3 Bs and 3 Cs. Not Cambridge quality at all.

That being said, their website does say "strong performance in Years 12 and 13 can make up for a less stellar performance at GCSE" which does give me a slight chance.

The website also states "most students who apply have at least four or five As or A*s at GCSE" - in this case, I have a total of 5 I guess?

Contextual Data:
My school is from a very bad area so maybe that would have an impact.

Is it worth it? Be honest please.

Thanks
idk why u werent considering it an option?? you seem more than capable, honestly.

your predicted grades are looking grEAt, if you can i recommend you ask a teacher to test you to prove that you can achieve a higher grade than a B, but if thats not possible, being predicted a B is fine

and yes your GCSE grades arent amazing grades overall, but you did get pretty good grades, why does it sound like your shi*ng all over your grades like, its okay to say you did well, even if its not the best

also i REALLY wouldnt worry about your GCSE grades, if that is one of your concerns because i mean the gap between GCSE level and A levels is so damn huge, so your alevels grades will be a MUCH
MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH bigger factor of whether you get in or not.

i mean it does literally say 'There are no GCSE (or equivalent) requirements for entry to Cambridge. '

and yk theres no harm in applying... nothings going to happen to you, so yea i say go for it
Criminalis
Rep:
?
(Original post by dinomite)
You’re definitely going to be at a disadvantage considering you haven’t made the typical/minimum offer (that’s not to say your grades aren’t good—they’re amazing!!) but compelling contextual data would hopefully be taken into account. I’d say stellar gcses are more of an oxford requirement than Cambridge’s which makes Year 12/predicated grades all the more paramount.

That being said you should still go for it. And hey—you might actually come out with A*A*A or more. You never know!

Edit: a bit confused but are you doing 2 a levels and the EPQ instead of 3 a levels?
3 A-Levels and an EPQ, I wasn't clear.

Thanks!
jesusgivemeajob
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Yes, as someone that's seen the people get interviews for Cambridge during sixth form applications as well as whilst already at uni, you will have a decent chance, trust me.
Criminalis
Rep:
?
(Original post by u_l_u)
idk why u werent considering it an option?? you seem more than capable, honestly.

your predicted grades are looking grEAt, if you can i recommend you ask a teacher to test you to prove that you can achieve a higher grade than a B, but if thats not possible, being predicted a B is fine

and yes your GCSE grades arent amazing grades overall, but you did get pretty good grades, why does it sound like your shi*ng all over your grades like, its okay to say you did well, even if its not the best

also i REALLY wouldnt worry about your GCSE grades, if that is one of your concerns because i mean the gap between GCSE level and A levels is so damn huge, so your alevels grades will be a MUCH
MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH bigger factor of whether you get in or not.

i mean it does literally say 'There are no GCSE (or equivalent) requirements for entry to Cambridge. '

and yk theres no harm in applying... nothings going to happen to you, so yea i say go for it
Thanks. I'm not happy with my GCSE grades because I was expecting better, but I guess they aren't too bad.
Criminalis
Rep:
?
(Original post by jesusgivemeajob)
Yes, as someone that's seen the people get interviews for Cambridge during sixth form applications as well as whilst already at uni, you will have a decent chance, trust me.
Thanks, what makes you think so?
jesusgivemeajob
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Thanks, what makes you think so?
your schools from a bad area and they need that for the stats, but youve got an A in an EPQ and that does count because a lot of those people at college that did EPQs got into cambridge. youd have an average chance.
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago

My predicted grades: A*AB (and an A in EPQ)

GCSES:
It also says: "There are no GCSE (or equivalent) requirements for entry to Cambridge. GCSE results are looked at as a performance indicator, but within the context of the performance of the school/college where they were achieved."

They are a factor but by no means the most important.

However having below average GCSEs and a prediction that is also below the typical requirement (and some colleges ask for A*A*A for PBS) I think you may be at risk of not being invited for interview.

One of the Cambridge ATs will be hosting an advice thread soon - it would be worth asking then.

PS. I'm moving this to the University of Cambridge forum.
Criminalis
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doonesbury)
It also says: "There are no GCSE (or equivalent) requirements for entry to Cambridge. GCSE results are looked at as a performance indicator, but within the context of the performance of the school/college where they were achieved."

They are a factor but by no means the most important.

However having below average GCSEs and a prediction that is also below the typical requirement (and some colleges ask for A*A*A for PBS) I think you may be at risk of not being invited for interview.

One of the Cambridge ATs will be hosting an advice thread soon - it would be worth asking then.

PS. I'm moving this to the University of Cambridge forum.
Thank you, hopefully I can get some honest answers from this.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.54%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (69)
15.44%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (84)
18.79%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (180)
40.27%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.7%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.26%