The Student Room Group

Third driving test attempt coming up - any advice?

I’ve grown quite confident at driving, and I’ve never really been one to get nerves, however I’ve failed my driving test twice:

1st attempt: completely my fault - got one dangerous as I almost got into the wrong lane turning right at a crossroads because of overthinking the situation. Also got 12 minors.

2nd attempt: didn’t take any lessons from the first attempt, just some practice with friends. Got two serious faults - both of which I think could’ve easily been minors but oh well (following distance a bit too close and passing to close to a parked car) and 6 minors. Was very surprised I didn’t pass.

Since doing my last test, I’ve done 6h of lessons with another instructor. First two went great, then had to switch to another instructor and as I was having a really bad day (had been to A&E because of my partner the night before) I made so many mistakes I’d never done before and had to ask the instructor to finish the lesson half way through. Then went back to the initial driving instructor for two more hours and I don’t think I’ve ever driven so well - had it been a test I would’ve passed no minors I think.

I’m taking two more hours on the day before my test and then one hour before the test. I’m still a bit worried about not passing even though my instructor has said I’m definitely ready and I do feel ready. Just annoyed I haven’t passed by now and I’ve no idea how to afford more lessons/test if I do fail this time,

Any advice? Did someone fail on unusual serious faults? I’ve not been able to find my ones very common online...
Original post by Raquharu1
I’ve grown quite confident at driving, and I’ve never really been one to get nerves, however I’ve failed my driving test twice:

1st attempt: completely my fault - got one dangerous as I almost got into the wrong lane turning right at a crossroads because of overthinking the situation. Also got 12 minors.

2nd attempt: didn’t take any lessons from the first attempt, just some practice with friends. Got two serious faults - both of which I think could’ve easily been minors but oh well (following distance a bit too close and passing to close to a parked car) and 6 minors. Was very surprised I didn’t pass.

Since doing my last test, I’ve done 6h of lessons with another instructor. First two went great, then had to switch to another instructor and as I was having a really bad day (had been to A&E because of my partner the night before) I made so many mistakes I’d never done before and had to ask the instructor to finish the lesson half way through. Then went back to the initial driving instructor for two more hours and I don’t think I’ve ever driven so well - had it been a test I would’ve passed no minors I think.

I’m taking two more hours on the day before my test and then one hour before the test. I’m still a bit worried about not passing even though my instructor has said I’m definitely ready and I do feel ready. Just annoyed I haven’t passed by now and I’ve no idea how to afford more lessons/test if I do fail this time,

Any advice? Did someone fail on unusual serious faults? I’ve not been able to find my ones very common online...

I'm going to give a bit of tough love here as someone who's been driving for coming up to 10 years now. You need to spend some serious time practicing your driving and decision making behind the wheel. If you fail your test, then you don't deserve to be on the road until you prove that you do.

Being behind the wheel of a car is no joke, you're literally controlling a death trap which has the ability to kill pedestrians, cyclists, motorcyclists and other road users. It takes just one moment to mess up to ruin not only your life but someone else's life too.

You literally never know what life will throw at you and when you're doing your driving test, you need to show your instructor you can cope being under pressure and you can react well to situations. Recently, I was driving on the motorway and my brother who had topped up my oil in my car didn't put the hood down properly, it blew up on the motorway and smashed my windscreen. If I wasn't a confident driver I could have injured myself and probably crashed into someone else and potentially injuring and killing them.

Be calm and you need to have a good balance of being cautious but confident. Remember you're not in a rush to get anywhere. If you fail again, you need to spend some serious time practicing and not with your friends, with an instructor.
third time lucky
Good advice from ThePoetaster.

Both attempts were your fault unless someone else was driving...

The two faults you mention are indeed common serious/dangerous faults. Clearance of obstructions can be anything from a fault to a dangerous depending on the road, other traffic, speed and distance. If you are getting too close you’re not allowing for doors opening, wing mirrors, not to mention how uncomfortable it is for a passenger to be flinching when passing parked vehicles. You should be able to judge distances and guide the car without getting too close.

Following distance is self-explanatory. If the vehicle in front comes to a stop for any reason, do you want to be able to stop using your brakes or using your face against their back windscreen? There is no excuse to get this wrong. 2 second gap in the dry, 4 in the wet, 10 if icy. If you are getting too close, you are losing concentration - obviously a problem.

There are obvious reasons why driving tests aren’t decided on what the candidate ‘thinks’ is a fault.

There are also reasons why we have some of the safest roads in the world.

This is the cheapest phase of your motoring. How are you going to afford a car/insurance/servicing/fuel?

Take it seriously, well done on taking more lessons, and best of luck for your test.
Honestly keep practising and if you can get a car, put some private driving hours in so you feel more confident
Reply 5
UPDATE: I passed! Only four minors as well :smile:
Congratulations!
My son just failed with one serious being too far away from parked cars on a very tight road, thought it was safer to stay away from parked cars.

Quick Reply

Latest