The Student Room Group

Good Finance and Accounting MSc

Hi,
I'm looking for good F&A master programmes. Imperial college is too expensive for me, LSE requires GMAT and also costs a fortune.
I thought about Kings college and University Of Bath but I have no idea if they are good.
Which universities are worth considering in this degree?
Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
Original post by Filip Kucharski
Hi,
I'm looking for good F&A master programmes. Imperial college is too expensive for me, LSE requires GMAT and also costs a fortune.
I thought about Kings college and University Of Bath but I have no idea if they are good.
Which universities are worth considering in this degree?
Thanks in advance.

Why do you want to do a F&A masters degree and what would you intend to do afterwards?
Original post by ajj2000
Why do you want to do a F&A masters degree and what would you intend to do afterwards?

I've just finished bachelor in F&A in Poland and I'd like to improve my current knowledge and take my career to international level. I want to be able to take a job in any international company as a financial manager, auditor, consultant manager or in one of the big 4 companies if it'd be possible.
Reply 3
I've just finished bachelor in F&A in Poland and I'd like to improve my current knowledge and take my career to international level. I want to be able to take a job in any international company as a financial manager, auditor, consultant manager or in one of the big 4 companies if it'd be possible.

Ah, ok - masters degrees are not normal (and look a bit strange) for such jobs in the UK but I know that's different in Europe. Could you enquire of people in the sorts of companies you are looking for in the countries you may wish to work what they would recommend and whether name recognition matters?
Original post by ajj2000
Ah, ok - masters degrees are not normal (and look a bit strange) for such jobs in the UK but I know that's different in Europe. Could you enquire of people in the sorts of companies you are looking for in the countries you may wish to work what they would recommend and whether name recognition matters?

By strange u mean it's better not to have it or it's just not so popular and necessary to find a job? I'd like to work in the UK or USA but unfortunately I have no friends or connections in companies there.
Reply 5
By strange u mean it's better not to have it or it's just not so popular and necessary to find a job? I'd like to work in the UK or USA but unfortunately I have no friends or connections in companies there.

Well - its neither popular nor necessary (or even useful) for UK students - certainly at the universities which you are looking at. There can be a case for some other universities with different types of courses which can lead to recognised qualifications.

I guess it would look strange to a lot of employers who would ask themselves:

- who the hell pays £20k plus living fees in an expensive city for some course? Are they so rich they don't need to work? Are they just applying here to practice English, get something on their CV then move after 18 months?

- if you are hard working why not study more recognised qualifications part time like the rest of us did?

Different matter if you do an MBA, hard science, mathematical finance, computing, statistics or data science masters.
Original post by ajj2000
Well - its neither popular nor necessary (or even useful) for UK students - certainly at the universities which you are looking at. There can be a case for some other universities with different types of courses which can lead to recognised qualifications.

I guess it would look strange to a lot of employers who would ask themselves:

- who the hell pays £20k plus living fees in an expensive city for some course? Are they so rich they don't need to work? Are they just applying here to practice English, get something on their CV then move after 18 months?

- if you are hard working why not study more recognised qualifications part time like the rest of us did?

Different matter if you do an MBA, hard science, mathematical finance, computing, statistics or data science masters.

Ok but in my case it'd be difficult to find a good job in UK only with my polish degree so I need sth more recognised.... do u mean that "more recognised qualifications" are the ones which u listed at the end?
Reply 7
Ok but in my case it'd be difficult to find a good job in UK only with my polish degree so I need sth more recognised.... do u mean that "more recognised qualifications" are the ones which u listed at the end?

Well - I recruited someone recently with a Polish degree and there seems to be no shortage of Polish people here and I dont think they all spent fortunes to get jobs. I'd try looking on forums for the Polish community in the UK and see if they have any specific advice. In general for working in the UK in accountancy you look for a training contract where the employer pays for you to sit professional exams. The professional exams (ACA. ACCA and CIMA) are far more respected here than most other qualifications. Equally, so is work experience. If you could work in Poland for a period it really helps applying for jobs (other than big 4, consultancies and top multinational graduate programmes).
Original post by ajj2000
Well - I recruited someone recently with a Polish degree and there seems to be no shortage of Polish people here and I dont think they all spent fortunes to get jobs. I'd try looking on forums for the Polish community in the UK and see if they have any specific advice. In general for working in the UK in accountancy you look for a training contract where the employer pays for you to sit professional exams. The professional exams (ACA. ACCA and CIMA) are far more respected here than most other qualifications. Equally, so is work experience. If you could work in Poland for a period it really helps applying for jobs (other than big 4, consultancies and top multinational graduate programmes).

Thanks for advice, I really appreciate it. My plan is to work for a year now in Poland for one or several companies and then do a master in UK because I think it'd be useful to have it if I'd like to work somewhere outside of the UK and there are some exemptions from ACCA exams also so maybe after it I'll find sth to pass the rest of the exams.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending