The Student Room Group

Access to HE nursing course?

I will be starting this in September. I’m wondering how people found it? How much time did you spend on assignments, how many were set a week, what an assignment is like?

I’m a bit worried as I really struggled with A Levels, then again I had a lot of personal issues going on which affected it.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, I have just had confirmation of a place to study access to nursing and I start next week, i am also wanting to know what to expect as in the work load as after going through my finances I am having to work while I study and just want to know how long did people study at home for. College is 2 days per week
Hope you have a good first week Beatles123 :h:
Hi. I’ve completed an access course and going to uni soon. I’m 28. My access course was pathway to healthcare even though I’m studying Biology. We was in twice a week, supposed to be 9.30-4.30 one day then 9.30-12.30 another. It ended up being more like 9.30-12/1/2/3 ( changed every week but including breaks it wasn’t a long day!!!) that was double Biology. Then psychology would quite often turn into 9-11 am. Psychology I found very easy in comparison to Biology. Some assignments took me weeks or so it seemed. You do need to put a lot of hours in outside of college but it depends how good you are , I hadn’t done a levels, been out of school 12 years so I’m a bit slow! But you deffo need to put in as many hours out , as you do in. But it’s certainly manageable. Most people had kids and jobs on the course
Reply 3
Thanks Ridinghigh, The Biology isn't one i'm looking forward too but am excited to get back into studying, lucky I don't have children to worry about, just the dog. Was there any books you found really useful that you could recommend? good luck with uni and well done :biggrin:
Original post by Sonja_f
Thanks Ridinghigh, The Biology isn't one i'm looking forward too but am excited to get back into studying, lucky I don't have children to worry about, just the dog. Was there any books you found really useful that you could recommend? good luck with uni and well done :biggrin:

Thanks, I just have my dog too! Biology is interesting though, I went into it not knowing what I wanted to do and even though it was the hardest I’ve decided to do it at uni simply because I find it so interesting. So at least it won’t bore me lol! I would suggest the CGP ( j think that’s what they are ) A level books for your subjects. They have most stuff you cover in there. I’m still using mine now for revision for uni as I wouldn’t understand it at a higher level yet, only just trying to understand at A level!! You might get told on the course some good books but they are deffo the best. Others you can borrow! X good luck x
Reply 5
Original post by Ridinghigh95
Thanks, I just have my dog too! Biology is interesting though, I went into it not knowing what I wanted to do and even though it was the hardest I’ve decided to do it at uni simply because I find it so interesting. So at least it won’t bore me lol! I would suggest the CGP ( j think that’s what they are ) A level books for your subjects. They have most stuff you cover in there. I’m still using mine now for revision for uni as I wouldn’t understand it at a higher level yet, only just trying to understand at A level!! You might get told on the course some good books but they are deffo the best. Others you can borrow! X good luck x

Hi thanks
I am doing an online access to higher education in nursing course this year. im only on the introductory unit but can already tell its going to require a lot of hours around my job to complete. im 27 did a levels but only got E's 10 years ago so this is gonna either make me or break me.
Original post by Miss_Colly
I am doing an online access to higher education in nursing course this year. im only on the introductory unit but can already tell its going to require a lot of hours around my job to complete. im 27 did a levels but only got E's 10 years ago so this is gonna either make me or break me.

It will make you! It will be hard at times but you will feel so good for doing it
Original post by Ridinghigh95
It will make you! It will be hard at times but you will feel so good for doing it

Thankyou! I'm enjoying it so far just need to knuckle down and get back in to an academic mindframe.
Original post by Miss_Colly
Thankyou! I'm enjoying it so far just need to knuckle down and get back in to an academic mindframe.

I’m feeling the exact same about starting uni, so scared and I’m sure I’m going to feel like an absolute thicko compared to everyone else who’s done A levels ! But I’m going to try my best and hopefully I’ll improve over first year !
Original post by thebeatles123
I will be starting this in September. I’m wondering how people found it? How much time did you spend on assignments, how many were set a week, what an assignment is like?

I’m a bit worried as I really struggled with A Levels, then again I had a lot of personal issues going on which affected it.

Are you another Access student who has done A levels? Would you mind telling me when you took your A levels and what grades you got in them?
Original post by Reality Check
Are you another Access student who has done A levels? Would you mind telling me when you took your A levels and what grades you got in them?

Surely doesn't matter for a course like nursing. They're just happy you have the L3s.
Original post by Notoriety
Surely doesn't matter for a course like nursing. They're just happy you have the L3s.

Yes, you're probably right but that's not why I'm asking.
Original post by Reality Check

I did them in 2016 and I got B (English), D (foreign language) and E (bio).
Just looking back at the post pre starting my access course. I cant believe I'm nearly half way through, applied for uni just waiting to see if I get a place and now worrying about starting at uni. The access course is great demanding but very enjoyable and I think it will definitely give me a heads up for uni and the course work shows everyone else doing?
Original post by Sonja_f
Just looking back at the post pre starting my access course. I cant believe I'm nearly half way through, applied for uni just waiting to see if I get a place and now worrying about starting at uni. The access course is great demanding but very enjoyable and I think it will definitely give me a heads up for uni and the course work shows everyone else doing?

Same I've had a couple of interviews now. The course is going better than I expected but it has been very very challenging.
tell me about it but I have enjoyed it where have you applied? I applied to Kingston and got an offer kings just waiting to see if they offer, City and south bank interviews at the end of Feb x
Original post by Sonja_f
tell me about it but I have enjoyed it where have you applied? I applied to Kingston and got an offer kings just waiting to see if they offer, City and south bank interviews at the end of Feb x

Had bangor and MAN Met last week, should hear about Mmu today, I'm not hopeful looking back there's so much I wanted to say and didn't. It's my first choice by a mile I'll be devestated if I don't get an offer. I've got leeds and Sheffield hallam interviews in March and I haven't heard anything from my last choice liverpool john moores yet.
I got my offer through from MMU if I wasn't sick I'd be partying right now. Given me a confidence boost for my other interviews now. Good luck everyone who's in the same boat re interviews right now.
congratulations @Miss_Colly hope you feel better soon

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending