GYG 2018/19: I got into University! Now what?! Watch

gcsemusicsucks
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago

Welcome!

Now that people are starting to make their GYG and freshers blogs for the new year, I'd thought I'd hop back onto the bandwagon myself! If you'd like to catch up with how my A Levels went (including my pretty chaotic Year 12 story), check out my GYG from last year here! :nyan:

So I've been deliberating a lot over whether to start a new GYG or a freshers blog, but I considered my main aim for this year, which is to try my absolute best academically, avoiding as much procrastination as I can (unlike last year lol). So, I'm back here for another year, and I can just include all the freshers type things on here anyway :yes: I feel like there's a lack of representation of university students in the GYG forum, so I'm hoping this will help people still at school learn more about what it's like being a university student from an academic perspective I also kind of want to prove to myself that I can maintain a GYG blog throughout the year and that I don't have to abandon it completely :lol: as my past experience would say otherwise… (Also, if I update it regularly, then maybe you lovely people won't have to scan through my ridiculously long essays, trying to catch up on all the stuff I've missed, like exhibit A lol)

Now for the juicy info!

_________________________________________________ :emog: _________________________________________________

University
Spoiler:
Show
I will be starting my first year at the University of St. Andrews, doing the Direct Entry into 2nd Year BSc Mathematics (G101) course. The modules I will be doing are:

Semester 1
MT2502 - Analysis
MT2503 - Multivariate Calculus
MT2504 - Combinatorics and Probability
MU1003 - Understanding Music (A)

Semester 2
MT2501 - Linear Mathematics
MT2505 - Abstract Algebra
MT2507 - Mathematical Modelling
MU1004 - Making Music

The way second year Maths at St Andrews works is that you do 4 modules each semester (so a modular type system which I love :love:), and at the end of the year, they take an average of your four highest scoring Maths modules. If this is 11 or above on the St Andrews 20-point scale, then you pass second year and go through to Honours - if you don't, you have to retake in August or retake the whole year depending on what you get Let's hope that's not me
:work:

GCSEs
Spoiler:
Show
Mathematics - A*
Further Mathematics - A*
English Literature - A*
English Language - A*
Biology - A*
Chemistry - A*
Physics - A*
German - A*
Latin - A*
History - A*
Fine Art - A*
Music - A*
Religious Education - A

A Levels
Spoiler:
Show
Mathematics - A*
Further Mathematics - A
Music - A
Physics - A

_________________________________________________:bubbles:__________________________________________________

Goals For This Year
Spoiler:
Show
1. Actually put in effort academically! This means making an effort to stay on top of work, do the required reading etc.
2. Become a morning person (sounds impossible but no harm in trying!)
3. Join and participate in many societies - music, dance, art
4. Join and participate in many sports clubs - tennis (definitely), badminton (maybe?), volleyball (maybe?)
5. Meet and make lots of new pals! :excited:

1. (Main Goal) Stay on top of things - revise little and often throughout the semester so I don't end up cramming the night before
2. Become a morning person and maintain this until the summer
3. Keep up with at least 3 extra-curricular activities throughout the semester

Important Posts

Important Dates
Spoiler:
Show
8 September 2018 - Drive up to St Andrews
10-16 September 2018 - Orientation Week
16 September 2018 - Freshers Fayre
17 September 2018 - Martinmas Semester begins
21-22 October 2018 - Raisin Weekend
22-28 October 2018 - Independent Learning Week
3-7 December 2018 - Revision Week
8 December 2018 - MT2503 Exam
13 December 2018 - MT2502 Exam
15 December 2018 - MT2504 Exam
18 December 2018 - MU1003 Exam
22-24 December 2018 - Edinburgh Exploration
24 December 2018 - Fly back home for Christmas
24 January 2019 - Martinmas Exam Results
26 January 2019 - Fly back to St Andrews
28 January 2019 - Candlemas Semester begins
18-31 March 2019 - Spring Vacation
29 April-12 May 2019 - Revision Weeks
29 April 2019 - MU1004 Recital
30 April 2019 - MU1004 Composers Concert
1 May 2019 - May Dip
13 May 2019 - MT2501 Exam
18 May 2019 - MT2505 Exam
22 May 2019 - MT2507 Exam
3 June-5 July 2019 - Laidlaw Research Internship
11 June 2019 - Candlemas Exam Results
:cool: 6 July 2019 - Fly back home for Summer :dance:

__________________________________________________ :lovie2:__________________________________________________

Tag List
If you'd like to be added/removed, please tell me! :heart:

:grouphugs:
I'm going to tag the lovely people from my last GYG's tag list, just this once!

Last edited by gcsemusicsucks; 4 months ago
Harriso1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well done! Your GCSE's are pretty insane as well.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
2nd year direct entry?! Snazzy.:yes:

Please gimme the tags please. All the tags.:gah:
Realitysreflexx
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Oh no, wait does second year count in scotland?

I enjoyed chilling in first year and wouldnt trade it for the world, first semester i was so lost lol. But i guess in such a technical field you wont really need to learn much essay writing...
Protostar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Tag me please!! So excited to follow this and beg you for help when I’m struggling with my own degree ahem
gcsemusicsucks
Rep:
?
(Original post by Harriso1)
Well done! Your GCSE's are pretty insane as well.
Thank you!! Ahahah they are, 2 years later and still in disbelief about them to be honest

(Original post by 04MR17)
2nd year direct entry?! Snazzy.:yes:

Please gimme the tags please. All the tags.:gah:
Hehe yup, but only because A Level Further Maths turns out to be a similar level to the first year of a Scottish maths degree And done!

(Original post by Realitysreflexx)
Oh no, wait does second year count in scotland?

I enjoyed chilling in first year and wouldnt trade it for the world, first semester i was so lost lol. But i guess in such a technical field you wont really need to learn much essay writing...
From what I believe, only honours years count in Scotland (at least for St Andrews anyway), so 3rd and 4th year, meaning I still get a year to settle in before things start to matter. I can imagine it would be extremely hard to adjust to university when taking an essay based subject! I'm planning on taking a couple of music modules, one being an essay based module, so we'll see how I cope :lol:
gcsemusicsucks
Rep:
?
(Original post by Protostar)
Tag me please!! So excited to follow this and beg you for help when I’m struggling with my own degree ahem
Eee done! And ahahah oh dear looks like we'll both be struggling together in that case
furryface12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Me please! :woo:
username3485628
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Please tag me ☺️
clouddbubbles
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i definitely want to be tagged!

really excited to see how you get on :hugs:
gcsemusicsucks
Rep:
?
(Original post by furryface12)
Me please! :woo:
(Original post by ilikemango)
Please tag me ☺️
(Original post by clouddbubbles)
i definitely want to be tagged!

really excited to see how you get on :hugs:
Yaaay done! :heart:
gcsemusicsucks
Rep:
?
Uni Preparation #1

So these past few days, I've been wrapped up in university admin, trying to sort out plane tickets for Christmas, packing lists, student portal and email logins, accommodation, and module choices! I'll summarise a few of the things here:

Accommodation
So at St Andrews, when you apply for halls accommodation, you put the types of accommodation offered in order of preference. I put single standard catered (not en-suite but catered) at the top of my list and I was so happy when I received it! I got placed in McIntosh Hall (which was the standard catered hall I least wanted to get lol my accommodation luck is awful) but I'm still so grateful that I got a single room because single standard catered is pretty oversubscribed! After researching about McIntosh Hall for quite a bit (just for my peace of mind tbh), I found out that on one side of the top floors, you get really nice views overlooking the beach (West Sands) and golf course. Of course, just after I found this out, I found out my room number, and it looks like I'm on the ground floor on the opposite side (seriously, my accommodation luck is just :lol:)! People have been saying that the ground floor has previously been the site where various drunks manage to vomit a few times since it's the most accessible… I'll just have to bring ear plugs and a face mask LOL

Choosing Modules
On the student portal, you select modules of at least 120 credits (for 2nd year at least). I ended up selecting 7 maths modules and 2 music modules, which totalled to 145 credits, so I'm planning on talking to my advisor during Freshers week about whether I could just drop 1 maths module and do 130 credits instead… we'll see

If you're interested in which modules I chose:
Spoiler:
Show

Semester 1
MT2501 - Linear Mathematics (this one I can either do in Semester 1 or 2 to balance the workload out depending on which other module I drop)
MT2502 - Analysis
MT2503 - Multivariate Calculus
MT2504 - Combinatorics and Probability
MU1003 - Understanding Music (A)

Semester 2
MT2505 - Abstract Algebra
MT2506 - Vector Calculus
MT2507 - Mathematical Modelling
MU1004 - Making Music

The module I'm planning to drop is either MT2504, MT2506 or MT2507, but all three seem pretty key (considering what I may want to do during my honours years) so not too sure at the moment (really don't want to have to drop one of the music modules either because both sound amazing, and I'd rather do them in my first year so I have them as pre-requisites to go into the higher-level music modules next year)

I think that's everything I have to tell you for now! Thanks for reading! :heart:

Tags :woo: Please tell me if you'd like to be added/removed
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Personally I would drop Vector Calculus.

Abstract Algebra I'm jealous of.:teeth:
gcsemusicsucks
Rep:
?
(Original post by 04MR17)
Personally I would drop Vector Calculus.

Abstract Algebra I'm jealous of.:teeth:
I've heard so many people say how hard Vector Calculus is and that's definitely put me off, and literally most of the applications are physics and engineering related which I both have zero interest in :lol: But I love calculus and it sounds like it would fit well with the Multivariable Calculus module so I'm torn! :doh:

Sooo excited for Abstract Algebra, the pure stuff is where it's at! :woo:
nyxnko_
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Tag me!!
Good luck at St Andrews! :rave:
And how do you do that gradient thing? It's pretty cool. :awesome:
Lemur14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The dedication to get those coloured titles :gah:
Those modules make me want to come with you :rofl:
Definitely following, really want to hear all about maths degrees :yep: No tag list though please, trying not to be on any this year!
gcsemusicsucks
Rep:
?
(Original post by nyxnko_)
Tag me!!
Good luck at St Andrews! :rave:
And how do you do that gradient thing? It's pretty cool. :awesome:
Done! Thank youuuu, it's all courtesy of a BBCode coloured text generator

(Original post by Lemur14)
The dedication to get those coloured titles :gah:
Those modules make me want to come with you :rofl:
Definitely following, really want to hear all about maths degrees :yep: No tag list though please, trying not to be on any this year!
Hehe Just one more year and you'll be at uni doing modules like these before you know it! :woo: And noted!
nyxnko_
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by gcsemusicsucks)
Done! Thank youuuu, it's all courtesy of a BBCode coloured text generator
Just searched it up and it looks awesome!! :awesome:
gcsemusicsucks
Rep:
?
(Original post by nyxnko_)
Just searched it up and it looks awesome!! :awesome:
:lol: I know right?!
nyxnko_
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by gcsemusicsucks)
:lol: I know right?!
Yep.
We're having too much fun with this
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you registered to vote?

18-20 years old (yes) (153)
53.13%
18-20 years old (no) (35)
12.15%
20-25 years old (yes) (47)
16.32%
20-25 years old (no) (4)
1.39%
25-30 years old (yes) (19)
6.6%