Leah1301
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I did it in year 10 and 11, failed it horrifically both times with E grade. Started A levels and did GCSE maths on the side because I was told they won’t let you into uni without it. I tried so so hard for it and revised more than I ever did for the other two times and still got an E grade! I don’t wanna be that girl that then goes on to fail it a 4th time and then a 5th. I don’t know what to do or how to fix it and I’m really struggling. Help?
username4203506
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I passed third time and that was at foundation level so I know how you feel. Have you tried practice papers? You could get someone to mark them for you. Have you tried revision books? That is a bummer because you do need maths to get into uni. Not sure how GCSE’s have changed since I did them, but are you failing higher maths or are you doing foundation level?
Jinkx Monsoon
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Leah1301)
I did it in year 10 and 11, failed it horrifically both times with E grade. Started A levels and did GCSE maths on the side because I was told they won’t let you into uni without it. I tried so so hard for it and revised more than I ever did for the other two times and still got an E grade! I don’t wanna be that girl that then goes on to fail it a 4th time and then a 5th. I don’t know what to do or how to fix it and I’m really struggling. Help?
My uncle had to retake it four times before he could go to uni. ;; It's not easy, but sometimes these things need a bit of time.

Have you considered getting a tutor - either of a fellow student or a private one? Or even talking to the teachers about how you keep getting the same grade despite your hard work - maybe the way they're teaching you just isn't sinking in right, and you need a different plan of attack.
Emily Mae
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Try not to panic. I am at University now and I haven’t got a GCSE maths grade C. I am just on a course that doesn’t need maths only needs English mainly. Honestly it’s the best course so I am happy with it! Yes I found out about it in clearing but I really enjoy the course more than what I would. I am taking functional skills maths level 2 which is the same as GCSE maths C. This test is more logical and can use a calculator and only one paper. I am doing his alongside my studies so I now and again go over maths stuff, and book a test. Have a look into that to see if you are able to do that somewhere. And maybe in the future you’ll do the full GCSE maths exam and pass it. But Universities now recognise level 2 functional skills.
Claudette
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’m 38 years old and on my fourth bash at GCSE maths I have finally passed. Back when I did my GCSEs there wasn’t such a huge emphasis in having maths and English at C, you just needed 4 Cs in anything. I got an E in maths. Two more goes at in ten years later and I got a D.
I didn’t think I would ever do it because I have dyscalculia and memorydelay but I powered through, I practiced and practiced and I did so many last papers I lost count and it paid off.
So you can do it, maybe not yet but you have it in you.
Erin's dad
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I know how you feel, as I have been there myself. I wanted to study Environmental Sciences, or something similar, at university and I was told that a Maths GCE (as it then was) pass was essential. I repeatedly failed maths GCE, both at school and later as a home study student. The maths teachers at my school were dire, and learning disabilities were not much understood back then. (I was only aware that I had dyspraxia much later in my life).

I managed to find an Environmental Sciences course that accepted me, as a mature student, without Maths GCE. I got a 2.1, and I was the 3rd best student out of nearly 30 in my subject year. These days, you would probably find it hard to get on a science course without GCSE Maths. However, depending on what you want to study, as has already been said there are still some courses that do not insist on you having GCSE Maths. Not that going to uni is everything; I know very little about most of the people who were at my school, but I know of several who only achieved qualifications equivalent to modern Grade 2/3 GCSE passes who went on to set up and run successful businesses.

That said, you should really keep at it and try to pass maths, and the other people who have replied to your post have already offered some good advice on how to proceed. I had a go at GCSE Maths (Foundation) this year, and I managed a Grade 5. I put this achievement down to the following:
1. Having a decent tutor at my local learning centre (unlike the teachers at my old school, he didn't sneak off 5 minutes into the lesson, or throw the chalk at you if you got the answer wrong!).
2. Putting in a lot of hours work.
3. Having a better understanding of how my brain might be slightly differently wired to some (most?) other people's.
4. Making full use of all the maths internet resources now available.

Of these, I would say that no. 4 was the most important. Having spent many miserable hours when I was younger trying to solve maths problems on my own with the aid of totally inadequate textbooks, I was amazed by the sheer variety of good internet material available whenever I got stuck on something. So find out all you can about what's available on the internet, and make the best use of it.

A final thought: if you are really much weaker at maths than any of your other subjects, you might have a learning disability of some kind so it might be worth you getting yourself tested for these. If you were found to have some kind of learning issue that might impact upon your ability to understand maths, extra help could be made available.

Good luck, and never give up!
iidletown
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Im in the complete same position as you, I got my results back recently and now I have to re-do maths in year 13 But also a lot of people have suggested to me that certain uni degrees don't require you to have a maths gcse? (depends on the course)
Good luck! x
username3973192
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Seems tough!

I think you should probably focus on exam technique since I guess you know the content, having studied it all those years! Try and work on
practice papers over and over to give you a sense of how to cope in the exam under exam conditions. There's a really good website that I used for GCSE maths which helped me loads cos it had all the past papers you could ever want in one place! Try a few of the papers and then mark them and look at your mistakes! Trust me you will learn that way!

Here is the link to the website:
https://mathsoutlet.weebly.com/

Hope this helps, and good luck in your future studies!!
DALess250
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
i failed my maths first time round and then failed the retake. i literally have no confidence left and i have really low morale. i have my third attempt at it next week on Tuesday, i am praying so much that i pass. love you guys
UniversityOfSunderland
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hi Leah,

Sorry to hear that you are having a tough time with your maths! It's certainly a course I myself struggled with and even had to retake at college but there is light at the end of the tunnel!
You can only do your best, and whether that's a pass or a fail, you still have options. It also depends on what course you plan to study too!
A lot of universities now offer Integrated foundation years courses, which essentially adds another year to the course, but it will prepare you for entry to your chosen degree.
These are a popular option for those who may have just missed the grades required for direct entry onto a degree, or those looking to embark upon a new career path

In terms of revision, there are a lot of helpful threads on here that cover various techniques, it may just be that you haven't found the right one for you yet. Also check out youtube for lots of handy tutorials on anything you may be struggling with.

Keep at it and don't give up! :five:

Aliko6
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by username4203506)
I passed third time and that was at foundation level so I know how you feel. Have you tried practice papers? You could get someone to mark them for you. Have you tried revision books? That is a bummer because you do need maths to get into uni. Not sure how GCSE’s have changed since I did them, but are you failing higher maths or are you doing foundation level?
Wait i didnt know you needed maths to go uni...but i already got 3 conditional and 1 unconditional offer...does that mean they aren't going to let me go?
Claudette
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Aliko6)
Wait i didnt know you needed maths to go uni...but i already got 3 conditional and 1 unconditional offer...does that mean they aren't going to let me go?
You don’t. Well it depends on the course. I didn’t need it for my art degree.
wild_card_2005
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hey! You could try do revision for MATHs. I used MATHs science by Daniel Dallas on youtube + past papers. So get to the format of the exam
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • University of Bradford
    Postgraduate Open day/Evening Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • Queen's University Belfast
    Postgraduate LIVE Masters & PhD Study Fair Postgraduate
    Wed, 4 Mar '20

Do you get study leave?