Can I accept a clearing offer now then reject it next week? Watch

Jacketh
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Bit of an unusual situation here.

i've been at kings the last year and suffered from health issues that meant i was not able to sit my exams. i am currently waiting on an appeal, that i should receive in the next few days-week, on whether they will be let me resit the year. this is my preference.

however, i have an account with ucas and an application, and sheffield have offered me a place through clearing. could i accept this, just incase kings reject me, then next week tell them i don't want to come if my appeal with kings is successful? i wouldn't be liable for fees would i? what about accommodation?

such a stressful situation.

thanks

jack
Minerva
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Jacketh)
Bit of an unusual situation here.

i've been at kings the last year and suffered from health issues that meant i was not able to sit my exams. i am currently waiting on an appeal, that i should receive in the next few days-week, on whether they will be let me resit the year. this is my preference.

however, i have an account with ucas and an application, and sheffield have offered me a place through clearing. could i accept this, just incase kings reject me, then next week tell them i don't want to come if my appeal with kings is stressful? i wouldn't be liable for fees would i? what about accommodation?

such a stressful situation.

thanks

jack
My immediate thought on reading your post is that if health issues have prevented you from successfully completing your first year at King's, and they don't let you re-do the year, it would be unwise to rush off to another university. You need to be sure that the health issues have been properly dealt with because otherwise there is a risk of the same thing happening again, only this time with significant implications for future funding of your studies.

Technically, you could accept the Sheffield offer, and then decide not to go, without any penalty (although you would have to avoid signing up for a year's worth of accommodation that you would still have to pay for).
Jacketh
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Minerva)
My immediate thought on reading your post is that if health issues have prevented you from successfully completing your first year at King's, and they don't let you re-do the year, it would be unwise to rush off to another university. You need to be sure that the health issues have been properly dealt with because otherwise there is a risk of the same thing happening again, only this time with significant implications for future funding of your studies.

Technically, you could accept the Sheffield offer, and then decide not to go, without any penalty (although you would have to avoid signing up for a year's worth of accommodation that you would still have to pay for).
My health is a lot better and kinda was at the time of my exams, I was just advised by the university that if I feel my performance has been effected throughout the year in terms of revision etc, and I do sit them and fail, it is simply better just not to turn up and appeal it.

I think I will accept the Sheffield offer then and decide not to go if King's let me stay. I can 100% tell them in a week or so that I won't be coming right? It isn't really a question I can ask them directly lol.
Minerva
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Jacketh)
My health is a lot better and kinda was at the time of my exams, I was just advised by the university that if I feel my performance has been effected throughout the year in terms of revision etc, and I do sit them and fail, it is simply better just not to turn up and appeal it.
Hmm. I hope it works out, but if not you need to involve the Students Union quickly, if you haven't already.

I think I will accept the Sheffield offer then and decide not to go if King's let me stay. I can 100% tell them in a week or so that I won't be coming right? It isn't really a question I can ask them directly lol.
Yes, you can. You will still be enrolled at King's unless they throw you out or you formally withdraw. You can cancel your place at Sheffield at any time up until enrolment (but you won't be popular if you leave it so late they have no chance of filling your place through Clearing).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (35)
7.25%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (285)
59.01%
No (163)
33.75%

Watched Threads