The Student Room Group

Healthy hair tips?

Hi everyone! So I'm on a quest to get super healthy, shiny hair like I used to have before dying it. I have naturally straight, fine shiny hair however I have bleached it a couple times now and I wouldn't say it is damaged or dead etc. but it isn't as beautifully soft as it used to be so I think its best that I focus on restoring its health. I'm currently doing a coconut oil hair treatment which I will leave on all day as I'm writing this but I'm just wanting as much information and tips as I get. I know a lot of youtubers will talk about shampoos and how much you wash your hair or even wearing it in a ponytail, however I also know they're not professionals and thought I'd come here and just see what has worked for everyone. Thanks!
Okay here it goes🙃:

1. Don't dye your hair anymore it's really bad for your hair and it damages it😢, just love your natural hair colour it's beautiful!

2. Use a wooden brush, these will help distribute your natural hair oils to keep your ends healthy!

3. Do add back shine use coconut oil, so rub coconut oil into your hair like a hair mask then wrap a scarf around it for around two hours then thoroughly wash it out with shampoo and conditioner.

4. For soft hair make hair mask using honey banana and olive oil do the same steps as above. (make sure you blend the banana into liquid form!)

5.Don't wash your hair every day wash it every three days so your hair stays healthy.

5. don't tie tight ponytails as this pulls back your hairline, use softer hair ties.

All the best!❤️ Hope this helps☺️
Reply 2
Original post by Citronella
Hi everyone! So I'm on a quest to get super healthy, shiny hair like I used to have before dying it. I have naturally straight, fine shiny hair however I have bleached it a couple times now and I wouldn't say it is damaged or dead etc. but it isn't as beautifully soft as it used to be so I think its best that I focus on restoring its health. I'm currently doing a coconut oil hair treatment which I will leave on all day as I'm writing this but I'm just wanting as much information and tips as I get. I know a lot of youtubers will talk about shampoos and how much you wash your hair or even wearing it in a ponytail, however I also know they're not professionals and thought I'd come here and just see what has worked for everyone. Thanks!

Castor or argon oil is good for dry hair. Also it depends on how often you wash it. The more you do the drier it will be. Tresme works a treat for me, use either salon silk, luxurious moisture or deep cleanse. Make sure you use both the shampoo and conditioner that go together. Herbal essences is another I would recommend. Don't comb it too much or mess with your hair with loads of product. If you want really soft hair try a deep conditioning hair mask. :smile:
Original post by Bham369
Castor or argon oil is good for dry hair. Also it depends on how often you wash it. The more you do the drier it will be. Tresme works a treat for me, use either salon silk, luxurious moisture or deep cleanse. Make sure you use both the shampoo and conditioner that go together. Herbal essences is another I would recommend. Don't comb it too much or mess with your hair with loads of product. If you want really soft hair try a deep conditioning hair mask. :smile:

I currently use an argan oil detangling spray but would you recommend castor/argan oil over coconut oil? I do agree with the hair washing thing but my only concern is I have super greasy hair and so on my second day hair it is really obvious that it isn't clean, will this eventually stop if I only wash my hair a couple times a week? Also, does dry shampoo counteract the idea of not washing your hair because it absorbs the natural oils or would I still be able to use it? I too love both tresemme and herbal essences for my hair and I think their conditioners work the best on me. Are there any particular deep conditioning hair masks you would recommend? Thanks so much for your advice!
Original post by London090
Okay here it goes🙃:

1. Don't dye your hair anymore it's really bad for your hair and it damages it😢, just love your natural hair colour it's beautiful!

2. Use a wooden brush, these will help distribute your natural hair oils to keep your ends healthy!

3. Do add back shine use coconut oil, so rub coconut oil into your hair like a hair mask then wrap a scarf around it for around two hours then thoroughly wash it out with shampoo and conditioner.

4. For soft hair make hair mask using honey banana and olive oil do the same steps as above. (make sure you blend the banana into liquid form!)

5.Don't wash your hair every day wash it every three days so your hair stays healthy.

5. don't tie tight ponytails as this pulls back your hairline, use softer hair ties.

All the best!❤️ Hope this helps☺️

Thank you so much! I wish I could stop dying my hair but I love love love being blonde which is super high maintenance :frown: however rather than doing it every 8 weeks I tend to wait a year and just live with the roots situation. I didn't know that about the wooden brush that is quite interesting and I'll definitely try it! I'm attempting the coconut oil thing right now so I'm going to leave it in for a few hours and see how that goes, I'd also like to try it with other homemade ingredients too. I think I'll have to make some adjustments in terms of how much I wash my hair and tight ponytails because I do both of those things a lot! Thank you for your tips, they really helped xx
Deep condition once a week
Wash every 3 days or so(your hairs natural oils will adapt so perservere even if it does feel greasy after a day or two).
Original post by Citronella
Thank you so much! I wish I could stop dying my hair but I love love love being blonde which is super high maintenance :frown: however rather than doing it every 8 weeks I tend to wait a year and just live with the roots situation. I didn't know that about the wooden brush that is quite interesting and I'll definitely try it! I'm attempting the coconut oil thing right now so I'm going to leave it in for a few hours and see how that goes, I'd also like to try it with other homemade ingredients too. I think I'll have to make some adjustments in terms of how much I wash my hair and tight ponytails because I do both of those things a lot! Thank you for your tips, they really helped xx

Hey,

No problem! Anything for all the girls out there❤️ It's always good to love yourself and take care of your hair and your skin☺️ Wooden brushes are so nice for the hair and I personally use one as well and it's also anti-static unlike plastics combs or brushes! It's good to hear that you're using coconut oil! That's a tradition in my culture and my mom used coconut oil in my hair since I was a kid🙂

If you need any more help just feel free to ask!
Macadamia oil is great, Moroccan shampoo is brilliant.
And washing your hair everyday is fine if you wish, really depends how oily your hair gets, because to much oil is actually bad for hair. Having anything tight applies pressure and pulls the hair, wearing any hairbands is actually a bad idea.

Quick Reply